Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Gong Album..

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    I was given the Live at the Gong Family Unconventional Gathering as a birthday present a couple of days ago and I must say it is a a very fine recording, as you would expect. The track list is very much what you would expect- so it does cover the same ground as other recordings. There doesn't seem to be a recording of Tried So Hard live - I wish they done that one - but otherwise no complaints!
    There is a live recording of Tried So Hard out there. It is available on CD and vinyl on The Mystery And The History Of Planet Gong (various labels) and also on a cassette recording from GAS entitled Live At Angers 1972. A warning though; while the song is available on the single CD The Mystery And The History..., it is not available on the expanded double CD entitled The Histories and Mysteries Of Planet Gong (Voiceprint). However, there IS a double CD with Tried So Hard on it, and this is on The History And The Mystery Of Gong (on the Burning Airlines label), which also has Mother Gong on the second CD. Pretty confusing but par for the course when it comes to early Gong/Daevid Allen recordings. Perhaps the planned boxset will have this track on it - or even the full Angers concert from 1972.

I agree that the Unconvention CD is very good. Fleshing the band out with Miquette Giraudy and Theo Travis helped I think and, as Steve Hillage mentioned on his recent interview here on PE, there was quite a bit of rehearsing that went into the whole weekend.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

^^^^^ Thank you for the info. I agree that the concert sounds very professional - the rehearsing obviously paid off!
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    There is a live recording of Tried So Hard out there. It is available on CD and vinyl on The Mystery And The History Of Planet Gong (various labels) and also on a cassette recording from GAS entitled Live At Angers 1972. A warning though; while the song is available on the single CD The Mystery And The History..., it is not available on the expanded double CD entitled The Histories and Mysteries Of Planet Gong (Voiceprint). However, there IS a double CD with Tried So Hard on it, and this is on The History And The Mystery Of Gong (on the Burning Airlines label), which also has Mother Gong on the second CD. Pretty confusing but par for the course when it comes to early Gong/Daevid Allen recordings. Perhaps the planned boxset will have this track on it - or even the full Angers concert from 1972.

I agree that the Unconvention CD is very good. Fleshing the band out with Miquette Giraudy and Theo Travis helped I think and, as Steve Hillage mentioned on his recent interview here on PE, there was quite a bit of rehearsing that went into the whole weekend.
    That show was truly one of the highlights of my life
    I could not believe how good they sounded
    I kept pinching myself and looking at Aymeric in the eye and both of us were just floored
    Yet for me Somehow that magic did not translate well into the DVD
    Curious to hear the audio recording

^I bought both the CD and the DVD.

For some reason, the DVD is not as enjoyable. Seems … flat.

I thought maybe that I had over-valued the CD. When I spun the CD the other day, I was not wrong. The CD version is full of life.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    That show was truly one of the highlights of my life
    I could not believe how good they sounded
    I kept pinching myself and looking at Aymeric in the eye and both of us were just floored
    Curious to hear the audio recording
    I've never yet been to a gig that I've later heard a recording of and not been disappointed, or just bemused that the recording seems so different from my memory of the experience. There's a massive amount of the experience of being in a room with the performers, the music and the crowd that nothing can reproduce I think. I guess that is an obvious remark really, but it's still true.

That said, would be very interested to hear what you think of the CD!
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    ^I bought both the CD and the DVD.

For some reason, the DVD is not as enjoyable. Seems … flat.

I thought maybe that I had over-valued the CD. When I spun the CD the other day, I was not wrong. The CD version is full of life.
    Perhaps they revisited the audio and gave it a new remaster ?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    As someone on the wrong side of the pond to actually attend that gig, I can say that the "magic" did translate into my living room via the DVD. The performers were really having fun up there that night. A little loose, joyous, inspired, highly competent. By far the best of the Gong DVDs out there. If I could have seen the DVD before the show I might have made the trip!