Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Gong Album..

Nah, I think it was part of the Trilogy Box thread...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Picked up the new album at Newbury Comics, where they had it shelved under "Obscurities"...

Great Canturbury/psych vibe, agree with the member who likened it to Hillage's Fish Rising. Still bummed by the cancellation of the Montreal gig with Hillage!

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Picked up the new album at Newbury Comics, where they had it shelved under "Obscurities"...

Great Canturbury/psych vibe, agree with the member who likened it to Hillage's Fish Rising. Still bummed by the cancellation of the Montreal gig with Hillage!
    My family and I had one of our most memorable vacations ever, even though those concerts were cancelled in Quebec...

Here's hoping they do something in NA to coincide with Cruise To the Edge, though I'm off to HRH Prog in October.

Meh. This thread will do.

New archival release from ‘06.
    https://planetgong.co.uk/bazaar/cd/g...co0FEE_UW-rCzA

Not sure how well circulated this show is already.

Pretty sure I also saw that the current band have a live album coming out.

Good things.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I have this on DVD and always wanted to copy it on to a CD but never found out how to do it easily. It is great the concert will be on CD finally. The concert was pretty good, even without Pierre Moerlen on drums. It seemed Miquette Giraudy did most of the synth work, too, although Tim Blake was there, and Theo Travis did much of the hard blowing (again, even though Didier was there).
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Been there, and somehow remember Acid Mother Gong as the strongest show in these 3 days. Have the DVD but haven't visited it for at least 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Been there, and somehow remember Acid Mother Gong as the strongest show in these 3 days. Have the DVD but haven't visited it for at least 10 years
    was there too (I work some 60km from the Melkweg), but we didn't know each other back then...
    But then again, back then, I hardly knew anyone that I've met since and that post in PA, PE or Rock60/70 (french forum) or even RYM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I downloaded the Gong Convention show from Bandcamp and have been listening to it while walking around town.

A very good show. Lots of improv. Hillage is in fine form.

I was leery of purchasing. Some of the late era Gong shows (before the current incarnation coalesced) are spotty. Not a big fan, for example, of the 25th birthday party show. But this one is as good as anything from the 70s.

Decided to pick up the DVD, too.

You wait 26 months for a new Gong release (since Love From The Planet Gong) and then two arrive together. As I have said earlier in this thread, I have the DVD and will get this. I have just been listening to the audio on Bandcamp and the concert sounds better than I remember from the DVD. There seems to be some interplay on saxes between Theo Travis and Didier Malherbe on Master Builder (for example), which I don't recall from the DVD, but I did watch it many years ago. Being able to just focus on the songs and not also on the action on the stage will free me up to hear the performances better.

And the double CD from the 1974 Longlaville concert is just around the corner too. That will be excellent, I am sure. The track listing looks very enticing. No Pierre Moerlen on either though
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    But it's all in a distant land!

^Yeah, I know. But we can always tune in via radio gnome, right?

Thanks for the heads-up! Got my ticket

Keeps saving those pennies, GAS work on the huge all encompassing box set. From Brian Abbott on the Planet Gong FB group:

"Just want to say in 2022 there will be an amazing box set via GAS and Snapper records. I have been working with Jonny for the last two days mapping out a rough framework for the release. We are talking 1967 to Present day Gong. Audio that has never been heard, live gigs, loops, constructs, interviews. A comprehensive book, posters etc. I have just listened through Gong live in Montpelier in 1972, brilliantly recorded by Venuxe. It took my head head off ! Its a while off at the moment, so if you liked Love from the Planet Gong, then . . . .. . "

Yes, this is good news. Udi Koomran reported it about three weeks ago (#25 on the Gong-Live Longlaville, France 1974 thread). I imagine the next live Gong CD - Longlaville 1974, which is due next month - is a direct result of GAS research into available material for this boxset. I am wondering why the Longlaville concert will be released independently; perhaps, it being recorded in 1974, this band would be considered a Virgin-contracted band and thus outside the remit of the planned boxset. Maybe it is good enough to stand on its own. Time will tell.

^Maybe the Longlaville show is a "teaser" designed to gauge interest?

Sell 2500 copies of it, and perhaps they could move a similar amount of box sets?

Regardless, this is very good news that seemingly just gets better.

Interesting. I don't know how they gauge demand for boxsets but perhaps 2,500 is a reasonable target to aim for. I do know that there were 2,500 boxes in the Searching For The Spark 22-CD set that Steve Hillage released a few years ago. That sold for £200 and as far as I can tell there are not many, if any, left on the market at the moment. That represents a cool £500,000 in sales. It was very lavish so must have cost a reasonable amount to produce, but it shows that there is a great deal of money to be made with these sets.

I did not buy the Hillage set as I had many of the albums already, and buying them again in the boxset to get the six or seven CDs that I did not have did not represent good value for money (even though I would have loved to buy them). That is my concern with this new Gong boxset too; that if they reproduce all the studio albums available (at least 12 at a conservative count) then there is not much room left for the rarities that I imagine most buyers would be looking for. Or else, as with the Caravan boxset that Madfish/Snapper put out recently, they include all the studio albums and loads of rarities and then charge an eye watering £360-£440 for it. It would be great if Madfish/Snapper just went full out with the rarities, and ignored the studio albums, but I suspect that is not how these things work. It would, though, be aligned with the ethos of Gong/GAS (IMO).
    Last edited by Munster; 11-24-2021 at 04:30 AM.

David Berry at FB

Whilst at GAS HQ yesterday I learned that there is a 30CD box set of live stuff coming. 90%+ previously unreleased.
    Sad news is it’s not likely to be released before 2023.
    Jonny also said he has enough material for at least two more box sets.
    Mind blown

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    David Berry at FB

Whilst at GAS HQ yesterday I learned that there is a 30CD box set of live stuff coming. 90%+ previously unreleased.
    Mind blown
    Always later than sooner... but 30CDs is a lot to digest and perhaps inge$t let another couple boxsets. At some point, just go digital with it! Perhaps the Longlaville release is more stop-gap, keep the flame burning. However I'd really like to see more from the current Gong lineup. I know there are a few naysayers out there, but t's truly something remarkable. Very fortunate to have seen them live.

Anyway, posted tthis gem of a clip to the Planet Gong FB page yesterday, featuring Mac Poole.

Last edited by strawberrybrick; 11-24-2021 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    I did not buy the Hillage set as I had many of the albums already, and buying them again in the boxset to get the six or seven CDs that I did not have did not represent good value for money (even though I would have loved to buy them). That is my concern with this new Gong boxset too; that if they reproduce all the studio albums available (at least 12 at a conservative count) then there is not much room left for the rarities that I imagine most buyers would be looking for. Or else, as with the Caravan boxset that Madfish/Snapper put out recently, they include all the studio albums and loads of rarities and then charge an eye watering £360-£440 for it. It would be great if Madfish/Snapper just went full out with the rarities, and ignored the studio albums, but I suspect that is not how these things work. It would, though, be aligned with the ethos of Gong/GAS (IMO).
    I had felt (based on the limited info available) that this was going to be a set that was primarily made up of unreleased material, though I could well be wrong on that. It would certainly be an odd move to release a box containing the four Virgin albums so soon after the Love From Planet Gong box, which had what I presume are definitive versions of those albums, as the audience for both sets will be the same and I don't see the band or GAS wanting to gouge those dedicated fans. Equally, it'd be weird to release a box containing the other studio albums but not those. I think the smart move would be for the two boxes to dovetail, with no duplicated material.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 11-24-2021 at 09:03 AM.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    David Berry at FB

Mind blown
    Good golly!

I didn't shell out for the Planet Gong box, but I did recently trade in my old CD versions of Flying Teapot, Angel's Egg, You, and Shamal for the recent 2-CD reissues, and they are excellent IMO. Shamal is just brilliant, including the bonus material and live disc (I'm a huge fan of that album in the first place). I consider these all major upgrades, particularly to the egregious Charly version of Flying Teapot that was an eyesore on my shelves.

I've got the new live set pre-ordered.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

In the way of the Universe, Gong will be playing in my home town on the exact same day that I will be 250 miles away, for to see VdGG...

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Good golly!
    Ms. Molly would agree!

Mr. Matt also agrees!

I was given the Live at the Gong Family Unconventional Gathering as a birthday present a couple of days ago and I must say it is a a very fine recording, as you would expect. The track list is very much what you would expect- so it does cover the same ground as other recordings. There doesn't seem to be a recording of Tried So Hard live - I wish they done that one - but otherwise no complaints!
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"