Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "30 Harshest Musician on Musician Insults in History"

"30 Harshest Musician on Musician Insults in History"

http://flavorwire.com/200333/the-30-...lts-in-history

Of note:
    30. Wayne Coyne on Arcade Fire
    “I get really tired of their pompousness [sic]… We’ve played some shows with them and they really treat people like shit. People treat Arcade Fire like they’re the greatest thing ever and they get away with it… They have good tunes, but they’re pricks, so fuck ‘em.”

21. Paul Weller on Freddie Mercury
    “He said he wanted to bring ballet to the working classes. What a cunt.”

16. Alan McGee on Coldplay
    “Coldplay are the dictionary definition of corporate rock. The singer is about as weird as Phil Collins. They are career rock personified. EMI should’ve signed Otis The Aadvark instead. At least he only sucks his thumb rather than corporate cock.”

14. Noel Gallagher on Jack White
    “He looks like Zorro on doughnuts.”

10. Ian Brown on Bono
    “He’s such a fake, isn’t he? When he did Live Aid, which made them a worldwide group … he looked out and [saw] that black girl in the middle of all them people, and she’s from Hackney or something, and he was like, ‘Here’s a great shot for me around the world to show I’m Mr Africa.’ It’s like colonialist times with a big white hat.”

7. Elton John on Madonna
    “Anyone who lip-synchs in public on stage when you pay £75 to see them should be shot.”

4. Elton John on Keith Richards
    “It’s like a monkey with arthritis, trying to go onstage and look young.”

2. Anton Newcombe on Eric Clapton
    “People talk about Eric Clapton. What has he ever done except throw his baby off a fuckin’ ledge and write a song about it?”

Ugh! Makes me feel like I just watched "Jerry Springer: The Music Edition." Come to think of it, these trash talkers oughta all appear on a show like Springer's or Steve Wilkos', sans bouncers... and have an all out brawl. I won't be watching though.

7. Elton John on Madonna
    “Anyone who lip-synchs in public on stage when you pay £75 to see them should be shot.”

I actually agree with this comment and should apply to ALL singers!

Like most insults, many of these say more about the "insulter" than they do the "insultee."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    You wonder if any of these people ever heard the saying: "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

I found this one amusing, though:

18. Nick Cave on Red Hot Chili Peppers
    “I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.”

But I never heard of these people/bands:

Cheryl Cole
    Kathleen Hanna
    Richey Edwards
    Alan McGee
    Mark E Everett
    Slowdive
    Ian Brown
    Brett Anderson
    Anton Newcombe

That may be because I listen to very little modern pop music or gossip. But if the only way these people can get attention is by putting down others, perhaps they need to get a life.

"The same people you walk on, on your way up
    You might meet 'em
    On your way down" - Allen Toussaint
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Stravinsky: Why is it whenever I hear a piece of music that I don't like, it is by Villa-Lobos?"

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    But I never heard of these people/bands:

Cheryl Cole
    Kathleen Hanna
    Richey Edwards
    Alan McGee
    Mark E Everett
    Slowdive
    Ian Brown
    Brett Anderson
    Anton Newcombe
    Me neither. That was a pretty awful thing for Anton Newcombe to say, whoever the hell he is.

In that list above, the only one I did know was Mark E Everett, he is basically the band Eels. "Electro Shock Blues" is quite a good album.

I also don't recognize most of these people.

If you are going to insult another musician at least do it with some "class" like the Pat Metheny - Kenny G spat a while ago

http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm
    E

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    Me neither. That was a pretty awful thing for Anton Newcombe to say, whoever the hell he is.

In that list above, the only one I did know was Mark E Everett, he is basically the band Eels. "Electro Shock Blues" is quite a good album.
    Apparently, Newcombe wishes to be remembered as one of the most cold-hearted bastards in history. If he could really write better songs or play better guitar than Clapton, I would have heard of him. I have heard of the Eels, but have yet to hear their music. I might have sought out some song samples, before I knew the band leader was such a douche. How does he know Lennon was a woman beater and a hippie? Is it even possible to be both? For that matter, how does Noel Gallagher know the Kaiser Chiefs' girlfriends are ugly?
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    That was a pretty awful thing for Anton Newcombe to say, whoever the hell he is.
    Great zinger in the comments: "Perhaps the biggest difference between Anton Newcombe and Eric Clapton is only one of them needs to be Googled."

calling noel gallagher...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brown (whoever the frell he is) View Post
    10. Ian Brown on Bono
    “He’s such a fake, isn’t he? When he did Live Aid, which made them a worldwide group … he looked out and [saw] that black girl in the middle of all them people, and she’s from Hackney or something, and he was like, ‘Here’s a great shot for me around the world to show I’m Mr Africa.’ It’s like colonialist times with a big white hat.”
    If I remember correctly, she wasn't black. She looked more like she might have been from the Western part of Asia, like India or Pakistan.

Oh, and from what I understand, Trent Reznor calling anyone "malicious" is like the pot calling the grass green.

I had an old issue of Keyboard were they asked Jerry Lee Lewis about Edgar Winter, and his response was "I have more talent in my dick than that guy has in his entire body". I can't find any proof anywhere on the web of this but I remember it.

I guess you'd need to ask Jerry's cousin...
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I laughed out loud about ten times. Not at the Clapton crack, though.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    How does he know Lennon was a woman beater and a hippie?
    Lennon himself admitted in interviews he used to beat women. Also, this line from 'Getting Better': "I used to be cruel to my woman, I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved."

The only one I found borderline tasteless was the Newcombe quote. My favourite not in the OP:

"If Morrissey says not to eat meat, then I'll eat meat - that's how much I hate Morrissey." - Robert Smith

Most of these 'attacks' are like handbags at twenty paces.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

I remember listening to a college radio show, where the host read this lengthy excerpt from a Kurt Cobain interview where he just went on and on about Axl Rose. First he starts talking about how Axl telling him to "Tell your bitch to shut up" at the MTV Video Awards, then he starts talking about how Axl replaced the whole class of neanderthal jock types who picked up on him in high school. Then he says that he had heard there were people who liked both GNR and Nirvana. He seemed doubtful that anyone could possibly like both bands, as if to suggest that his fans are too intelligent to be also into GNR or whatever. Maybe it didn't go on as long as I remember, but it seemed to at least be several paragraphs.

I also recall that, apparently in the early part of the "grunge explosion" or whatever the frell it was that happened at the end of 1991, beginning of 1992, Cobain was mouthing off about Pearl Jam on a regular basis. So apparently, finally when the two bands played at the MTV Video Awards (the same one where Novoselic demonstrated how not to engage in onstage theatrics), Cobain apparently spent some time hanging out with Eddie Vedder. I think the subsequent MTV interview where he commented on it, Kurt said something like "He seems like a nice intelligent guy...but I still think his music sucks".

One that's always stuck in my mind for some reason (though I kinda half way agree with the point) was Johnny Marr's infamous comment in Guitar Player that "guitarists like Yngwie Malmsteen should be forgotten as quickly as possible". Ooooh, that touched off a whole shit storm of comments in the "Letters to the editor" section of the magazine for months to come, which indirectly led to GP's running joke throughout the late 80's linking Yngwie to Tallahassee, Florida (apparently because many of the pro-Yngwie letters they received came from that area).

And he probably didn't mean it as an insult, but I remember one of the guys REM saying he had to wait a few years to be able to join a band, because he had to wait until "you didn't have to be Keith Emerson to get a gig". I also vaguely remember Steve Stevens making a mid 80's remark about either Wakeman or Emerson.

And in the Ornette Coleman boxset that Atlantic Records put out back in the 90's, there's all kinds of comments from various musicians, both pro and con, about Ornette. I can't remember who it was, maybe Dizzy Gillespie who said "I think he's jiving" (meaning he thought Ornette's music was bullshit), that's the main one I remember, but there was a just lot of guys just sort of attacking Ornette and his "new approach" to jazz.

Maybe not aimed at anyone in particular, but when explaining why he didn't like Electric Mud, but he said that "If you a need a wah wah and a fuzztone to make your guitar say things, you're not playing the blues". Johnny Winter referred to Electric Mud as a "lump of shit" (though I guess that was aimed more at Marshall Chess , who produced the damn record than at Muddy and the musicians Chess hired to back Muddy for the afternoon).

Howlin' Wolf told Pete Cosey to his face to "take your wah wah and your fuzztone and the rest of that shit, and throw it in the river on your way to the barber" (apparently, Wolf didn't approve of Pete's beard and hair style, as well as his "psychedelic" guitar style).

Miles is said to have insulted Eric Dolphy just weeks before Eric passed away.

I think it was Nick Mason who was apparently asked in a late 80's interview what his vision of Hell would be like, or what his worst nightmare would be (something of that order, I forget exactly how it was phrased), with his response being "Roger back in Pink Floyd".

Ritchie Blackmore once said the reason he left Deep Purple the second time was because he got sick of unprofessional behavior, specifically citing he prefers to work with singers who "can remember the words to the songs", apparently meaning Ian Gillan. Ritchie also pointed out when Straight Between The Eyes came out that the title of one of the songs was deliberately spelled on the back cover "MISS Mistreated" as if to put the emphasis on the fact that there was no connection to the Deep Purple song Mistreated, with Ritchie saying that "Oh, I know someone's still going to complain", apparently referring to Coverdale (who co-wrote the earlier song).

There's at least one Dio era Rainbow version of the Deep Purple song, where Ronnie introduces it by saying, "It was written by...someone who's name escapes me", though maybe that was a cute way of trying to be funny, rather than actual dig.

I remember someone telling of how he met one of the guys from Cheap Trick after one of their club shows in the late 90's. Apparently, the summer before, Cheap Trick and Boston were supposed to tour together, but Tom Scholz pulled the plug on the tour because he re-injured his back or whatever. So this guy made the mistake of telling, I can't remember if it was Robin Zander or Rick Nielsen, anyway he said that he had been planning on seeing the Cheap Trick/Boston extravaganza, and this caused whichever Cheap Trick guy it was to go thermonuclear and totally rip Scholz to shreds for backing out of the tour.

ANd I remember seeing a video on Youtube a few years back, of Ronnie James Dio, apparently signing stuff after a show, I think it looked like he was signing Stratocaster pickguards, I think. Anyway, someone mentions Vivian Campbell, who played guitar on Dio's first three solo albums, I think it was. The thing I remember about it was Dio saying "He's an asshole" in this matter-of-fact tone of voice, not angry or anything, just calling the guy an asshole like it's just a natural fact or whatever, and then at least the one I saw, he didnt' really explain why Viv was an asshole. I think there might have been some insinuation that, by extension, there must be something seriously wrong with the Def Leppard guys for keeping Viv on the payroll as long as they have.

Then you've got Gene Simmons, who just can't stop insulting various members of his own band. He calls Ace a racist, because apparently, when Ace got drunk on tour, he liked to dress up in Nazi gear, go knock on Gene's door, and when he answered, he'd launch into the seig heil thing. As Gene puts it, "This guy knows my mother is a Holocaust survivor". I'd prefer to think that Ace just has a warped sense of humor, and when he's had a few too many beers, he's one of those kind of guys who thinks it's cute to push other people's buttons.

Gene then goes onto explain how little business sense Ace has. He says Ace built a professional quality studio in his backyard, but it couldn't be used by anyone but himself because his neighborhood wasn't zoned for businesses (in other words, Ace legally couldn't rent it out to anyone else for use). He also comments on Ace failing to get a copyright on the thunderbolt design that Gene says Ace was the first to use on a guitar strap. I guess he feels Ace could be making money off every guitar strap company that makes a strap with thunderbolts on it (and Gene puts it, all of them producing such straps), but Ace blew it by not securing the copyright back in 1973 or whenever it was.

Then there's the time that he referred to I think it was Mark St. John (who played guitar on the Animalize album), who he says "is a musician, we're entertainers, and there's really is a difference". I guess his point was that Mark was too much into the flashy shredding style of guitar (then why did you hire him, stupid?!). Then he does the exact same thing to Bruce Kulick (who at the time was still in the band)..."It took him a couple albums to get that crap out of his playing". Again, why would you hire a guitarist who plays that way if you didn't want that style of playing in your band?!

In that same interview, there was also a bit, I guess referring to why the band kept going after Ace and Peter left, and he said something like "Why should I let some bum's ruined life affect my life?!". Wow, way to diss everyone who isn't in the current line up of the band in one sentence, Gene.

Oh, and I remember Glenn Dantzig back in the mid 90's throwing a shit fit because there was a rumor going around that one of the guys in Def Leppard gave him a bloody nose backstage at some festival gig in Europe somewhere. I think his insinuation was that the rumor was started by the Def Leppard camp because they're a bunch of pussies who want everyone to think they're a bunch of bad asses because one of them supposedly kicked Glenn's ass. And Glenn basically says "Oh, if you think you're so tough, why don't we settle this man to man", basically challenging whichever Def Leppard guy it was to a fight.

And that reminds me of the long running brawl in the late 80's between the Motley Crue and GNR camps, which climaxed with Vince Neil challenging Axl to a boxing match on MTV. He literally said "It's put up or shut up time, Axl!". Said boxing match never happened, though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I remember listening to a college radio show, where the host read this lengthy excerpt from a Kurt Cobain interview where he just went on and on about Axl Rose. First he starts talking about how Axl telling him to "Tell your bitch to shut up" at the MTV Video Awards, then he starts talking about how Axl replaced the whole class of neanderthal jock types who picked up on him in high school. Then he says that he had heard there were people who liked both GNR and Nirvana. He seemed doubtful that anyone could possibly like both bands, as if to suggest that his fans are too intelligent to be also into GNR or whatever. Maybe it didn't go on as long as I remember, but it seemed to at least be several paragraphs.

I also recall that, apparently in the early part of the "grunge explosion" or whatever the frell it was that happened at the end of 1991, beginning of 1992, Cobain was mouthing off about Pearl Jam on a regular basis. So apparently, finally when the two bands played at the MTV Video Awards (the same one where Novoselic demonstrated how not to engage in onstage theatrics), Cobain apparently spent some time hanging out with Eddie Vedder. I think the subsequent MTV interview where he commented on it, Kurt said something like "He seems like a nice intelligent guy...but I still think his music sucks".

One that's always stuck in my mind for some reason (though I kinda half way agree with the point) was Johnny Marr's infamous comment in Guitar Player that "guitarists like Yngwie Malmsteen should be forgotten as quickly as possible". Ooooh, that touched off a whole shit storm of comments in the "Letters to the editor" section of the magazine for months to come, which indirectly led to GP's running joke throughout the late 80's linking Yngwie to Tallahassee, Florida (apparently because many of the pro-Yngwie letters they received came from that area).

And he probably didn't mean it as an insult, but I remember one of the guys REM saying he had to wait a few years to be able to join a band, because he had to wait until "you didn't have to be Keith Emerson to get a gig". I also vaguely remember Steve Stevens making a mid 80's remark about either Wakeman or Emerson.

And in the Ornette Coleman boxset that Atlantic Records put out back in the 90's, there's all kinds of comments from various musicians, both pro and con, about Ornette. I can't remember who it was, maybe Dizzy Gillespie who said "I think he's jiving" (meaning he thought Ornette's music was bullshit), that's the main one I remember, but there was a just lot of guys just sort of attacking Ornette and his "new approach" to jazz.

Maybe not aimed at anyone in particular, but when explaining why he didn't like Electric Mud, but he said that "If you a need a wah wah and a fuzztone to make your guitar say things, you're not playing the blues". Johnny Winter referred to Electric Mud as a "lump of shit" (though I guess that was aimed more at Marshall Chess , who produced the damn record than at Muddy and the musicians Chess hired to back Muddy for the afternoon).

Howlin' Wolf told Pete Cosey to his face to "take your wah wah and your fuzztone and the rest of that shit, and throw it in the river on your way to the barber" (apparently, Wolf didn't approve of Pete's beard and hair style, as well as his "psychedelic" guitar style).

Miles is said to have insulted Eric Dolphy just weeks before Eric passed away.

I think it was Nick Mason who was apparently asked in a late 80's interview what his vision of Hell would be like, or what his worst nightmare would be (something of that order, I forget exactly how it was phrased), with his response being "Roger back in Pink Floyd".

Ritchie Blackmore once said the reason he left Deep Purple the second time was because he got sick of unprofessional behavior, specifically citing he prefers to work with singers who "can remember the words to the songs", apparently meaning Ian Gillan. Ritchie also pointed out when Straight Between The Eyes came out that the title of one of the songs was deliberately spelled on the back cover "MISS Mistreated" as if to put the emphasis on the fact that there was no connection to the Deep Purple song Mistreated, with Ritchie saying that "Oh, I know someone's still going to complain", apparently referring to Coverdale (who co-wrote the earlier song).

There's at least one Dio era Rainbow version of the Deep Purple song, where Ronnie introduces it by saying, "It was written by...someone who's name escapes me", though maybe that was a cute way of trying to be funny, rather than actual dig.

I remember someone telling of how he met one of the guys from Cheap Trick after one of their club shows in the late 90's. Apparently, the summer before, Cheap Trick and Boston were supposed to tour together, but Tom Scholz pulled the plug on the tour because he re-injured his back or whatever. So this guy made the mistake of telling, I can't remember if it was Robin Zander or Rick Nielsen, anyway he said that he had been planning on seeing the Cheap Trick/Boston extravaganza, and this caused whichever Cheap Trick guy it was to go thermonuclear and totally rip Scholz to shreds for backing out of the tour.

ANd I remember seeing a video on Youtube a few years back, of Ronnie James Dio, apparently signing stuff after a show, I think it looked like he was signing Stratocaster pickguards, I think. Anyway, someone mentions Vivian Campbell, who played guitar on Dio's first three solo albums, I think it was. The thing I remember about it was Dio saying "He's an asshole" in this matter-of-fact tone of voice, not angry or anything, just calling the guy an asshole like it's just a natural fact or whatever, and then at least the one I saw, he didnt' really explain why Viv was an asshole. I think there might have been some insinuation that, by extension, there must be something seriously wrong with the Def Leppard guys for keeping Viv on the payroll as long as they have.

Then you've got Gene Simmons, who just can't stop insulting various members of his own band. He calls Ace a racist, because apparently, when Ace got drunk on tour, he liked to dress up in Nazi gear, go knock on Gene's door, and when he answered, he'd launch into the seig heil thing. As Gene puts it, "This guy knows my mother is a Holocaust survivor". I'd prefer to think that Ace just has a warped sense of humor, and when he's had a few too many beers, he's one of those kind of guys who thinks it's cute to push other people's buttons.

Gene then goes onto explain how little business sense Ace has. He says Ace built a professional quality studio in his backyard, but it couldn't be used by anyone but himself because his neighborhood wasn't zoned for businesses (in other words, Ace legally couldn't rent it out to anyone else for use). He also comments on Ace failing to get a copyright on the thunderbolt design that Gene says Ace was the first to use on a guitar strap. I guess he feels Ace could be making money off every guitar strap company that makes a strap with thunderbolts on it (and Gene puts it, all of them producing such straps), but Ace blew it by not securing the copyright back in 1973 or whenever it was.

Then there's the time that he referred to I think it was Mark St. John (who played guitar on the Animalize album), who he says "is a musician, we're entertainers, and there's really is a difference". I guess his point was that Mark was too much into the flashy shredding style of guitar (then why did you hire him, stupid?!). Then he does the exact same thing to Bruce Kulick (who at the time was still in the band)..."It took him a couple albums to get that crap out of his playing". Again, why would you hire a guitarist who plays that way if you didn't want that style of playing in your band?!

In that same interview, there was also a bit, I guess referring to why the band kept going after Ace and Peter left, and he said something like "Why should I let some bum's ruined life affect my life?!". Wow, way to diss everyone who isn't in the current line up of the band in one sentence, Gene.

Oh, and I remember Glenn Dantzig back in the mid 90's throwing a shit fit because there was a rumor going around that one of the guys in Def Leppard gave him a bloody nose backstage at some festival gig in Europe somewhere. I think his insinuation was that the rumor was started by the Def Leppard camp because they're a bunch of pussies who want everyone to think they're a bunch of bad asses because one of them supposedly kicked Glenn's ass. And Glenn basically says "Oh, if you think you're so tough, why don't we settle this man to man", basically challenging whichever Def Leppard guy it was to a fight.

And that reminds me of the long running brawl in the late 80's between the Motley Crue and GNR camps, which climaxed with Vince Neil challenging Axl to a boxing match on MTV. He literally said "It's put up or shut up time, Axl!". Said boxing match never happened, though.
    I saw the RJD singing on YouTube, and(according to one YouTube comment), Ronnie said what he said, because Viv was saying bad stuff about Ronnie in interviews; apparently, he was saying that his career started with DL and the material with Dio meant nothing to him. Apparently, the Axl and Vince feud started when Izzy Stradlin saw Vince and his then-wife at a party, and Izzy proceeded to be rude to her. Vince kicked(or threatened to kick) Izzy's ass. Izzy told Axl what went on, and Axl was just defending his band mate. There was something on VH1 about this. Someone interviewed even found it funny that the fight never happened, because Axl and Vince could easily find each other. Someone then made a joke that maybe that's why Axl was in hiding for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Apparently, the Axl and Vince feud started when Izzy Stradlin saw Vince and his then-wife at a party, and Izzy proceeded to be rude to her. Vince kicked(or threatened to kick) Izzy's ass. Izzy told Axl what went on, and Axl was just defending his band mate. There was something on VH1 about this. Someone interviewed even found it funny that the fight never happened, because Axl and Vince could easily find each other. Someone then made a joke that maybe that's why Axl was in hiding for so long.
    Yeah, as I recall, at the one MTV Video Awards where Tom Petty played with GNR (or was it Izzy and Axl playing with Petty & The Heartbreakers?), as soon as they came off stage, Vince walked up to Izzy and punched him in the face. Or at least that's what Petty said happened.

It's hilarious when rock musicians challenge each other to fights (or, in the case of Axl, challenging Bob Guiccone's snot nosed son to a fight, which was even more hilarious).

Dave Grohl once said, in the early nineties when Nirvana was still around and in full flower, "[Extreme isn't] aware of how much they suck." Given that his bandmates are trying to be "cool" and bashing them as well, I figure it was just an attempt to fit in at the time. Considering he's now palling around with Rush, Chris Squire, Brian May and the like, I'm guessing he possibly feels differently now.

Last edited by ThomasKDye; 06-21-2013 at 01:06 AM.

In the fight between Axl Rose and the donuts, I'm voting for the Crispy Creme.

2. Anton Newcombe on Eric Clapton
    “People talk about Eric Clapton. What has he ever done except throw his baby off a fuckin’ ledge and write a song about it?”
    I had to look up who this Newcombe character is. What a sick f**k!

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    http://flavorwire.com/200333/the-30-...lts-in-history

21. Paul Weller on Freddie Mercury
    “He said he wanted to bring ballet to the working classes. What a cunt.”

14. Noel Gallagher on Jack White
    “He looks like Zorro on doughnuts.”

10. Ian Brown on Bono

7. Elton John on Madonna

4. Elton John on Keith Richards
    “It’s like a monkey with arthritis, trying to go onstage and look young.”
    These are pretty clever, particularly the Noel Gallagher one.

And this, from the linked article:

David Lee Roth on Elvis Costello
    “Music journalists like Elvis Costello because music journalists look like Elvis Costello.”

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Well Christian von Grumbkow had some pretty harsh comments on Eloy.