Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "30 Harshest Musician on Musician Insults in History"

But when Kenny G decided that it was appropriate for him to defile the music of the man who is probably the greatest jazz musician that has ever lived by spewing his lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing all over one of the great Louis's tracks (even one of his lesser ones), he did something that I would not have imagined possible.
    Oh, boy.

“Anyone who lip-synchs in public on stage when you pay 75GBP to see them should be shot.”
    And this one by Elton John should be applied to just any lip-syncing singer!
    Last edited by Azol; 06-21-2013 at 07:11 AM.
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Well Christian von Grumbkow had some pretty harsh comments on Eloy.
    Do tell!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

Then there's the time that he referred to I think it was Mark St. John (who played guitar on the Animalize album), who he says "is a musician, we're entertainers, and there's really is a difference". I guess his point was that Mark was too much into the flashy shredding style of guitar (then why did you hire him, stupid?!). Then he does the exact same thing to Bruce Kulick (who at the time was still in the band)..."It took him a couple albums to get that crap out of his playing". Again, why would you hire a guitarist who plays that way if you didn't want that style of playing in your band?!
    Perhaps because in the Eighties, it might have been hard to find a hard-rock guitarist who didn't play like that. At least not the kind of top-level free-agent professional who Kiss would typically hire, who would want to work with them, and who would be an approximate stylistic fit. Sure, there were guys around with Ace's just-the-basics approach, but they probably wouldn't have worked out in other ways - they weren't that kind of hired gun, or came out of punk/new-wave, or only played roots music, or were in bands already, or thought the whole Kiss shtick was stupid, or a lot of other possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    or thought the whole Kiss shtick was stupid
    Probably this.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Do tell!
    I'll try to translate from German:
    "There are those groups, that make this bombastic symphonic rock, like Jane and Eloy. These are the worst representants of this style. They do the same that the Nazis did in the Third Reich, with their music. To say it different: The feeling I get, when I watch Nazi-movies, or read books from those times, is the same feeling I get when I hear the music from Jane and Eloy. In this music is there is some terrible darkness, there is some unconsiousness agressive, destructive and kitschy in it, that I can't find words for it. It doesn't satisfy, not just to hear nor to watch. It is cultivated defection. Rockmusic is normally something fun, something joyfull, something sensual. When rockmusic is turned into culture and Eloy is very keen on that, they want to be recognized as making serious music, a recognition they won't get, because they are to bad on their instruments, when they do like this, it is just painfull."

This is one fragment from an interview from 1979. I think I have something more or less simular in another interview, but I'm a bit to lazy to look it up. It is pretty embarrassing.

If only Ann Coulter could play guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Lennon himself admitted in interviews he used to beat women. Also, this line from 'Getting Better': "I used to be cruel to my woman, I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved."
    A lyric John didn't write.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    A lyric John didn't write.
    It's Paul's song, but John contributed to it and that line may be his. He implied that he wrote it in the 1980 Playboy interview.

PLAYBOY: "Getting Better."
    LENNON: It is a diary form of writing. All that "I used to be cruel to my woman, I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved" was me. I used to be cruel to my woman and physically--any woman. I was a hitter. I couldn't express myself and I hit. I fought men and I hit women. That is why I am always on about peace, you see. It is the most violent people who go for love and peace. Everything's the opposite. But I sincerely believe in love and peace. I am a violent man who has learned not to be violent and regrets his violence.

Quote Originally Posted by E() View Post
    If you are going to insult another musician at least do it with some "class" like the Pat Metheny - Kenny G spat a while ago
    Yep, a real "class" act! I admit, I laughed when it first came out, but I felt like I needed a shower after that. I'm a fan of Metheny's music and not a fan of Kenny G's, but he should've STFU. Paul Wertico (who I used to play with before he got the PMG gig) told me that he and Steve Rodby were really embarrassed by that. Paul also said, "I never knew Pat was such a big Satchmo fan. I mean, I never saw him walking around with a Satchmo T-shirt or anything." I agree with some of the points Pat made about Kenny, but I don't think Mr. G had any evil intent; I suspect it was more just innocent cluelessness on his part.

I'm just opposed to one musician dragging another through the mud in front of everybody. It's high school bully behavior and it's not cool imo. We're all in this together, from the baddest to the lamest; the most famous to the most obscure. If we can't all be supportive of one another, we can at least show some respect by closing our yaps.

There's a saying that goes, "if there's one thing that two musicians can agree on, it's the incompetency of a third." In all honesty, I've been guilty of that myself, but at least it's never been in anything other than a private conversation. I'd like to think that if I was ever famous enough to be interviewed in a known publication, I'd follow my own above advice.
    Last edited by No Pride; 06-21-2013 at 12:54 PM.

I once heard an interview with Paul Weller, in which his then young child was present. However, this did not stop him from swearing continuously. If he did not have any respect for his own child, who was he going to respect? Certainly not Freddie Mercury bringing ballet to the unwashed masses. I always hated Paul Weller for saying he was not going to continue into old age and be embarassing like so many bands - meaning those that he was blatantly copying, like The Who. Seeing him with grey hair in that mod style makes him far worse than Freddie Mercury prancing about in a ballet outfit.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I'm just opposed to one musician dragging another through the mud in front of everybody. It's high school bully behavior and it's not cool imo. We're all in this together, from the baddest to the lamest; the most famous to the most obscure. If we can't all be supportive of one another, we can at least show some respect by closing our yaps.

There's a saying that goes, "if there's one thing that two musicians can agree on, it's the incompetency of a third." In all honesty, I've been guilty of that myself, but at least it's never been in anything other than a private conversation. I'd like to think that if I was ever famous enough to be interviewed in a known publication, I'd follow my own above advice.
    Nicely stated! Although, I did find a lot of amusement in those quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Perhaps because in the Eighties, it might have been hard to find a hard-rock guitarist who didn't play like that. At least not the kind of top-level free-agent professional who Kiss would typically hire, who would want to work with them, and who would be an approximate stylistic fit. Sure, there were guys around with Ace's just-the-basics approach, but they probably wouldn't have worked out in other ways - they weren't that kind of hired gun, or came out of punk/new-wave, or only played roots music, or were in bands already, or thought the whole Kiss shtick was stupid, or a lot of other possibilities.
    Actually, I think it has more to do with Gene and Paul's at times cloudy judgement, ie "Let's do a disco single", "Let's do a concept album", "Let's record a song called She's So European", "Let's wear clothes we're going to be embarrassed about 30 years from now", etc. Factor in Gene's "acting career" and it becomes apparent that Gene's business acumen doesn't extend too far past the boardroom.

So probably what happened in 1982 (and 1984), was that Gene and Paul were thinking "We can do better than Ace. Let's get one of these Eddie VH type guys and see what happens". Of course, just because the guy's fingers are more flexible doesn't mean he's going to be a tasteful or melodic in his playing, nor does it guarantee he's going to have any of the other talents Ace brought to the band (ie songwriting and singing abilities). The impression I have that the reason Bruce Kulick was in the band was because his brother Bob (an established studio guitarist who had actually auditioned for the band back in 1972 and who was "the guy" until Ace walked in the room, and who subsequently deputized for Ace on some of the studio tracks on side 4 of Kiss Alive II) said "You should hire my brother".
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 06-21-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Actually, I think it has more to do with Gene and Paul's at times cloudy judgement, ie "Let's do a disco single", "Let's do a concept album", "Let's record a song called She's So European", "Let's wear clothes we're going to be embarrassed about 30 years from now", etc. Factor in Gene's "acting career" and it becomes apparent that Gene's business acumen doesn't extend too far past the boardroom.
    Definitely- KISS were the kings of jumping aboard a ship that had already sailed... as for Gene's business sense, the book "KISS and Sell" is a fun read. As for Bruce, I thought he was perfect in the band.

Gene's business acumen doesn't extend too far past the tip of his nose.

Fixed!
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

"I would rather have hot diarrhea for six months than tour with the Cars for six months."
    -Ric Ocasek

What a shitty thing to say.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    What a shitty thing to say.
    Rimshot!!!

One of my favs. Not sure if it was meant to be harsh, but to me very humorous.

About The Shaggs: "They Bring My Mind to a Complete Halt"--Carla Bley

I thought the Elvis Costello quote on Morrissey was the best, most accurate one.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    If only Ann Coulter could play guitar.
    Meaning... what, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Fixed!
    How is it fixed? Because you changed a couple words so that it's incorrect?! Gene must be doing something right, because I'm pretty sure he's a hell of a lot richer than you are, dumb ass!

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Definitely- KISS were the kings of jumping aboard a ship that had already sailed... as for Gene's business sense, the book "KISS and Sell" is a fun read. As for Bruce, I thought he was perfect in the band.
    Agreed, I enjoyed it a lot and it certainly gives some insight on where he is coming from. I've also read Ace's book which gives a bit of a different perspective. Peter Criss now has a book out as well, but have not read that one.

Steve Sly

[2. Anton Newcombe on Eric Clapton
    “People talk about Eric Clapton. What has he ever done except throw his baby off a fuckin’ ledge and write a song about it?” ]

Umm, I think he's getting Eric Clapton confused with Michael Jackson.

[QUOTE=No Pride;116833} I'm just opposed to one musician dragging another through the mud in front of everybody. We're all in this together, from the baddest to the lamest; the most famous to the most obscure. If we can't all be supportive of one another, we can at least show some respect by closing our yaps. [/QUOTE]

One of the best and truest things I've read. Thank you for that. Obviously not everyone agrees.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    [2. Anton Newcombe on Eric Clapton
    “People talk about Eric Clapton. What has he ever done except throw his baby off a fuckin’ ledge and write a song about it?” ]

Umm, I think he's getting Eric Clapton confused with Michael Jackson.
    I think that Mr. Newcombe is a hater, and should get his facts straight. He's, of course, talking the death of Connor Clapton. As for you, Micheal didn't "throw" his baby off a ledge, and we should let the dead rest in peace.

There's this incredible player who studied with my teacher (classical guitar) for 10 years, from age 8-18. Now, he got a full Scholarship to Indiana University school of music. After his audition, the guitar professor wrote to my teacher, "in my 20 years here, I have never come across a player as good as this. Well done, sir".

The last bit of advice he got from my teacher before he left for school had nothing to do with music. It was the following: network your butt off, NEVER ever talk trash about anyone, anyone who wants to make a living as a professional musician cannot afford to do that. Hard work is assumed. Goes without saying. But anyone who wants to make a living in music has to do more than that.

Of course, the world of the working musician (in classical music or jazz) is an entirely different world than that of the millionaire rock star. They can be as flippant as hell. Part of the shtick, almost.

Or even Pat Metheny, who is the closest we have to being a rock star in terms of notoriety. Maybe Herbie or Wynton are on that level.

THere's this audio capture of Metheny on youtube giving some sort of master class, where he says that only a tiny few (five?) jazz guitarists have good time-feel. And most of those cats are Black.

Probably didn't need to say that. But he did.