Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Name a Zep song you personally underrated until years later

I was 12 years old when I got HotH, which still happens to be my fave album by them. Back then I didn't understand "No Quarter" - not its meandering structure, its conceptual abstraction, its atmosphere, those drunkenly whining voices, that jazzy mid-section.

A few years later I'd bought the band's entire catalog and "No Quarter" was by far my fave song by them. And still is. Although I hardly ever listen to LZ anymore.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Why care, if it's not over played by yourself?
    Over-playing means nothing to a good piece of music. I mean StH is always a fresh idea, when I play it for myself.
    you know what i mean.. it was on the radio constantly. should it matter that i didn't play it myself? it is possible to get sick of a song which is what happened here.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I never was too fond of "For Your Life" when Presence came out. Took me years before I got that one.
    since seeing the Celebration Day DVD where they perform this for the first time, i really like it more now. Achilles Last Stand is my all time favorite LZ song, and since this song follows it on Presence, it always ruined it for me. but finally i appreciate it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    In The Evening. The big problem with the track is the very dull intro. Easy enough to edit about the first 90 seconds.
    Actually ITE's intro is the only thing I like on that album So I'd have an easier time to edit out the rest of ITTOT

Quote Originally Posted by E() View Post
    Same here. A folk/acoustic track mixed in with the rock stuff was fine but an entire album side......? Fortunately, I came to my senses eventually and enjoy III as a whole album, not side 1.
    Actually nowadays, the only Zep thing I still listen to is III's flipside... I guess I'm catching up to even out the "play" count with the rest of their classic discography...

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Another one generally skipped was Going to California
    I still have never warmed up to that one. I don't hate it or find it unlistenable, it's just the only song on IV I don't care for!
    Well, I have to acknowledge that very few people liked that song... Even at house parties, there was always someone close to the hi-fi to skip over it.... And even if I don't mind it, it's a WTF track on that album... it feels completely out of place... one has to wonder what Zep was thinking of when they included that instead of other leftovers...

But to be honest, I'm just not very fond of the entire flipside of IV... never was really... I heard it way too many times too... Couldn't really avoid it in Toronto.... every house party had at least two full zep albums playing at one point in the evening/night ... until way into the mid-80's
    Last edited by Trane; 06-21-2013 at 09:00 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

sourdough advocate
    I really had no use for Four Sticks until I saw Plant's solo (mostly) acoustic version of it on PBS's Soundstage program some years ago. Since then, I've gone back to the Zep version and I enjoy it a lot. The one tune of theirs that I still have no use for is Hats Off To (Roy) Harper. I didn't like it the first time I heard it as a 14 year old nor have I ever liked it.
    When in doubt....

I think "Out On The Tiles" for me. No idea how I missed its brilliance before but it never hit me the way it did recently.

Sick Again, Dancing Days, Ten Years Gone

I *love* Side two of Zeppelin III. Every note of it.

I don't think I've seen anyone mention "Tea For One" yet. Is that because everyone likes it?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

"Over The Hills And Far Away" took years for me. So did "Battle of Evermore". Love 'em both now.

There are still some other Zep pieces that have never really clicked for me, mostly from the last side of PG and a lot of Presence, and I guess most of Coda as well.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I don't think I've seen anyone mention "Tea For One" yet. Is that because everyone likes it?
    I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I *love* Side two of Zeppelin III. Every note of it.
    Yeah, but did you way back then???

Always liked it, but it's not as good as Since I've Been... Though I've ever heard Tea as much because unlike III, I never owned Presence
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

So who's going to use this thread to compile a LZ listening session?

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yeah, but did you way back then???
    I suppose not, now that you mention it, but always was fascinated by "Hats Off To Roy Harper" even at a young age.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I think Hats Off... is my favorite track on side 2 of III. It sounds like the whole band is inside a Leslie speaker. It's one of the trippiest, acoustic blues recordings I've ever heard.

This has only happened to me at the album level. Loved every Zepp Song I ever heard through Physical. Then I just stopped - Lost interest in latter Zepp Completely. Lately I've picked up Coda - I'm still somewhat stumped by it - Like I'm listening to drunk Zeppelin in their garage. In Through the Out is better, but I'm still somewhat baffled at the drop in overall quality. I do like a few songs on it though, I'm looking for Presence (in a bargain bin, if possible) to give it a listen. But I'm really interested in getting more familiar with all three. I also want to hear more post Zeppelin from Page, Plant and Jones.

Presence has to be the most polarizing Zeppelin album. I think the whole album is great from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Presence has to be the most polarizing Zeppelin album. I think the whole album is great from start to finish.
    I love it. It's an interesting story too, how quickly they wrote and recorded it with Plant recovering from his car accident injuries. And of course, "Achilles Last Stand" alone is worth the price - that was an instant 10/10 for me as a teenager and still is. A very, very strong record IMO, and wildly underrated ... but then, the string of albums that preceded it are such strong competition.

Interesting footnote about the cover art: Hipgnosis originally tried to get Genesis to use it for one of their mid-70s albums (I can't recall which one... Lamb or Trick I think) but it was reshelved and used for LZ instead.

I think Presence has a few really amazing tracks, For Your Life and Nobody's Fault But Mine chief among them. I just don't, and never have, understood the love for Achilles Last Stand, to me it's just a decent riff hammered into the ground with no real variation for over ten minutes. But I really like Carouselambra and many people feel the same way about it...

(Edit- fixed song title- stupid spell check)
    Last edited by trurl; 06-23-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I just don't, and never have, understood the love for Achilles Last Stand, to me it's just a decent riff hammered into the ground with no real variation for over ten minutes.
    I think it has some nice variations but I am in the same camp. It basically seems like about three ideas that are just beat into the ground. One problem is the lack of variation in instrumentation. Had they found a way to break things up with some keyboards or something, maybe 10 minutes could have worked. But as it "stands," it's a 5-6 minute track dragged out to 10, IMO. I do love the ideas in it, however.

I got slammed a while back on here for daring to suggest 'Carouselambra' feels unfinished to me, but that's how I feel about it. It seems like a bunch of ideas- some of which are quite interesting- strung together with little coherence, and a barely audible vocal.

On 'Presence' I think the one that I got to appreciate over time is 'For Your Life'. On '...Out Door', I do now really like 'Fool In The Rain', but think it's too long.

As for 'Hats Off...', I like it as a quirky country-blues pastiche, but I'm not sure it should have been on the album. It feels like more of a typical, 'jokey' B-side track than the actual B-side of this time, 'Hey Hey What Can I Do', does.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I think Presence has a few really amazing tracks, Four Your Love and Nobody's Fault But Mine chief among them. I just don't, and never have, understood the love for Achilles Last Stand, to me it's just a decent riff hammered into the ground with no real variation for over ten minutes. But I really like Carouselambra and many people feel the same way about it...

Agree with your critique of Achlles Last Stand ...its like they found this decent riff but didnt know how to develop it !

Trampled Under Foot is probably the first one that comes to mind. It's been played to death on the radio and I never understood what the fuss was all about. Then it finally dawned on me. It has a wicked groove. Apparently the keyboard parts played by JPJ were inspired by Stevie Wonder.

A few others would be Kashmir, Immigrants Song, the Lemon Song, Nobody's fault but mine and probably a bunch of others. To be honest though as great as LZ were/are their music has been ruined by too much airplay on corporate mainstream radio.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I got slammed a while back on here for daring to suggest 'Carouselambra' feels unfinished to me, but that's how I feel about it. It seems like a bunch of ideas- some of which are quite interesting- strung together with little coherence, and a barely audible vocal.

On 'Presence' I think the one that I got to appreciate over time is 'For Your Life'. On '...Out Door', I do now really like 'Fool In The Rain', but think it's too long.

As for 'Hats Off...', I like it as a quirky country-blues pastiche, but I'm not sure it should have been on the album. It feels like more of a typical, 'jokey' B-side track than the actual B-side of this time, 'Hey Hey What Can I Do', does.

Totally agree with the last part. "Hats off to Harper" is by far the worst thing on 3 and probably the worst thing LZ ever did. "Hey, hey what can I do" would have greatly improved the album and made it one of their five best imo easily. I guess in this digital age it's easy enough to make your own version of the album and just substitute one for the other but for me that would feel like playing god or something. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    \as great as LZ were/are their music has been ruined by too much airplay on corporate mainstream radio.
    Fortunately, I stopped listening to the radio years ago and I've never looked back. The few times since that I've heard it being played it's the same old format it was when I gave up on it: 50% loud, brash, irritating commercials/DJs, and 50% music, almost all of which are the same old songs. It's amazing how you can come to appreciate those songs again when YOU choose to hear them rather than having them jammed down your throat by stations who think that Pink Floyd only had three albums.

I love Achilles; great riffs and IMHO, it flows nicely. Never felt it was too long. Achilles and No Quarter are by far my 2 favorite LZ tracks