Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommended Comics and Graphic Novels for E-reader

Bluewater has made several of my books available on Kindle through various resources (I know comiXology has some) --- TekWar Chronicles, Wrath of the Titans, 20 Million Miles More, Ray Harryhausen Presents War of the Elementals, Orion the Hunter, a few others...

Like 'em, or don't like em---but I had fun writing them.
    scott
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Me View Post

One that looks really interesting (and much less serious) is God Hates Astronauts. I think the title alone could prompt me to pick it up.
    On sale today only at ComiXology. And if you can resist buying it after this:

image.jpg

Then I pity you.

http://www.comixology.com/postUrl=Go...Daily_Deals_03
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonefish View Post
    Bluewater has made several of my books available on Kindle through various resources (I know comiXology has some) --- TekWar Chronicles, Wrath of the Titans, 20 Million Miles More, Ray Harryhausen Presents War of the Elementals, Orion the Hunter, a few others...

Like 'em, or don't like em---but I had fun writing them.
    scott
    Pretty cool, Scott. Feel like sharing how you broke into the industry?

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Pretty cool, Scott. Feel like sharing how you broke into the industry?
    My brother runs Bluewater, and I apparently work cheap! But seriously, originally he needed a companion story to be part of an anthology, and he remembered a short story I wrote about a taxi driver who serves as a modern day Ferryman between this world and the next. He asked me if I wanted to adapt it. That led to my working with Harryhausen, which opened the door to working with Shatner and Bill Nolan (Logan's Run).

For me, it is a creative outlet from the 9 to 5 work-a-day existence. I just finished an original Allan Quatermain story inspired/influenced by the book King Leopold's Ghost-- and am beginning a new anthology project with a writer whom I've longed admired from his work during the classic era of TV.---can't reveal too much, because the contracts have yet to be signed!

scott
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

Was the taxi driver named Charon?
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Thanks for sharing, Scott. I need to get back to regularly writing. Work has been very taxing, though.

Jason sale at Comixology.

http://www.comixology.com/Jason-by-F...ollection/2292

With a title like I Killed Adolf Hitler how could you go wrong?

Batman 1972 style--this looks like it would be a fun series if it ever came to fruition: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/01/...o-francavilla/

Yeah, I got real excited to see more artwork for that. I'm not sure if Francavilla is seriously pitching it (he did some art last year along those lines) or if he's just screwing around, but it could be a seriously fun book.

Sometime back Orson Scott Card commented upon gays, etc. A lot of people got up in arms about it. I was just sort of indifferent to the whole scandal. I guess you could say at least the young people realized that it's wrong to be a bigot, etc. But I think it's less that, and more a media thing. At any rate, I found this cartoon about False Idols of the Boomer Generation. https://medium.com/the-nib/c4110fb96e03

This is not a graphic novel per se but is anyone here familiar with Oglaf? An online strip, it is set in a faux fantasy/medieval land with at least 75% of the jokes being sexual in nature and the art is so not safe for work. But it is so goddamn funny. There's a new one every Sunday. Try the one below and if it doesn't tickle your funny bone, don't pursue it further. If it does, then Blood and Thunder to you.

http://oglaf.com/alsoelves/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Personally, I was hooked on "Deadpool" for awhile a few years back- and don't let that abomination of "Deadpool" that was involved in the first Wolverine movie ruin the idea of what Deadpool truly is within the Marvel Universe. He was involved in the Weapon X program as was Wolverine; and the first couple of years of Deadpool comics were pretty awesome, even the fact that he breaks the 4th wall in the comics (meaning he actually "talks" to the reader, while he is engaged in the action taking place in the comic itself.)

I would recommend the first year or two of Deadpool comics, as well as the Deadpool/Wolverine issue; the number is alluding me at the moment- but all in all- the comic is very well written and has a ton of action. If and WHEN a Deadpool comic book will be adapted for the screen remains to be seen as there have been a slew of directors and writers attached to the project since the late 1990s or early 2000s. At this point, I am not holding my collective breath that I will ever see a true representation on screen of Deadpool, as Ryan Reynolds portrayal just irks me the wrong way.

I think you may enjoy "The Merc with a Mouth".
    Bryan B.
    Host, "The Aisle of Plenty"
    The Best in Progressive Rock from the past 40 years
    Saturdays, 6AM-8AM Eastern
    classxradio.com

Encore Broadcasts
    Fridays 4PM-6PM Eastern, DeliciousAgony.com
    Saturdays 8PM-10PM Eastern, CrossStreetRadio.com

Amazon is offering some free downloads to Kindle of David Lapham's Stray Bullets if interested. It was a pretty good series, though I never finished it.

Well, he'll yeah. Just read Black Science #1--it's on sale through Monday at Comixology for 99 cents--and, well, hell yeah. Not sure what else to say. Grab it.

A pretty good Top 20 list for 2013. I used to like Swamp Thing, maybe I ought to give it a try, among the many others he talks about: http://johnleescomics.wordpress.com/...omics-of-2013/

His top five looks remarkably like mine. I love all those books.

And, yes, Swamp Thing is great! Soule brings something that has been lacking to the New 52: Levity. (Red Lanterns is also really good, though not recommended for anyone unfamiliar with the Lantern universe.) Soule has one creator-owned comic out there, Letter 44. The first issue was good, but I was going to wait for the trade. I expect big things from Soule in the next couple of years.

Two ways to go about Swamp Thing. Get the trades for Snyder's run; just be sure to grab Lemire's Animal Man, too. The titles overlap. Or start fresh with Soule's run. I like both for different reasons. (It should be obvious by now that I'm a big Scott Snyder fan, too.)

Layman's Chew gets a lot of praise, but I really did not like his writing on Detective Comics. I should probably give Chew a try, though. Lots of rumors that it's getting made into a show.

Free SF stories for an E-reader if interested: http://stupefyingstories.blogspot.co...anthology.html

Did you ever check out Swamp Thing? I know the New 52 gets a lot of flack--and a lot of it is justified--,but it's a great book.

No, I haven't yet. I've just been a little reluctant, dunno why. Maybe just afraid to get involved in another comic. I used to read the run when Alan Moore wrote them, and even followed Rick Veitch's run as well. But dropped it somewhere between Veitch and the Pollock run. I'll give an issue or two a try. Here lately been reading some of Mark Waid's Daredevil, just started but they're ok.

Another best of 2013 list slanted more towards the indie realm, but also some webcomics.
    http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/b...te_comics.html

American Vampire sale at Comixology. $34 gets you the entire series. Highest recommendation.

I'd wondered about American Vampire, that's a pretty good price.

I went to the library the other day and found Jeff Smith's RASL in hardcover. The few things I saw about the series, didn't make much an impression on me or made enough sense, but it's a pretty interesting series about this guy that can jump through parallel dimensions to steal art and then sales it. Worth checking out, and with Smith good art.

Some Heavy Metals and some old Starlogs for ereaders over at Archive.org--be kinda cool to read them off an ereader (I don't have one, but you can d/l them to read on a PDF file as well). https://archive.org/details/heavy-metal-magazine

New Jason (not the slasher guy--he's a writer and artist) books at Comixology.

https://www.comixology.com/Graphic-N...ason/page/2702

I haven't read anything outside of some superhero stuff lately. In fact, I cut my subscriptions in half.

A couple on my wait for trade list that look really interesting: The Wicked and the Divine, Rat Queens and Southern Bastards.

I had mentioned Charles Soule above, and it does seem like he's moving up in the world. He's writing Wolverine's death for Marvel this fall. Letter 44 continues to be excellent. Lots of shadowy government and shadowy alien stuff.

And the best book I'm reading? Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang. Their run is ending this fall. The artist replacing Chiang has suggested that Wonder Woman doesn't represent feminism. He also tends to draw his women extra-booby. Hopefully he'll get shit-canned before WW is portrayed on the big screen. Azzarello and Chiang's run has been marked by its strong ties to Greek mythology and strong portrayal of WW. She looks like a Greek goddess not like a fashion model. Comixology has nearly the entire run thus far in trades.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    And the best book I'm reading? Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang. Their run is ending this fall. The artist replacing Chiang has suggested that Wonder Woman doesn't represent feminism. He also tends to draw his women extra-booby. Hopefully he'll get shit-canned before WW is portrayed on the big screen. Azzarello and Chiang's run has been marked by its strong ties to Greek mythology and strong portrayal of WW. She looks like a Greek goddess not like a fashion model. Comixology has nearly the entire run thus far in trades.
    I like her the way George Pérez drew her best.