Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Comics and Graphic Novels for E-reader

Thought I'd ask what web sites you go to look for comic or graphic novel recommendations? I found this one recently and thought I'd share it here: http://www.graphicnovelreporter.com/blog

Here's another one I go to just about daily. He doesn't review graphic novels, mostly just single issues stories. He reads more typical super hero fare than I do, but at least he knows how to review something without giving away spoilers, which I can respect. http://comicoftheday.blogspot.com/

I go to Comic Book Resources. Good news feed and lots of reviews.

There's a new APP that caters to "boutique" graphic novels. Here's a link to more info:
    http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...n-the-u-s.html
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Duly bookmarked for future use - excellent.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

ComiXology has a free preview if interested on select books, might be a free way to preview a few things. Here's a link:
    http://comixology.tumblr.com/12days

Best thing I read recently was Velvet by Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting--if you enjoy stuff like James Bond, you'd probably like it: http://www.imagecomics.com/comics/releases/velvet-1

On it like my cats on fat woodpecker. Thanks.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

You've got me curious now, I'm not a graphic novel fan so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but...

The iPad and Kindle Fire & Nook & Surface would allow something more than a static image -- you could have movement or little mini-movies within the panels of a graphic novel/comic. Are any publishers taking advantage of that?

I have yet to see anything like that (except on YouTube), and I'd think the major publishers would resist it. That wouldn't really be a comic book, would it?

The iPad and Kindle Fire & Nook & Surface would allow something more than a static image -- you could have movement or little mini-movies within the panels of a graphic novel/comic. Are any publishers taking advantage of that?

There were a few comics made called motion comics, I don't think they met with a huge amount of success. Here's one on YT for Batman: The Killing Joke. There are others out there on YT and on the web, just google Motion Comics:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbPaaXGAGkg

Here's one for Superman: Red Son: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcM_x5rh3aM

I thought I had responded here, but apparently not. I strongly recommend the graphic novel Blue is the Warmest Color. It's astounding- a great read, and despite its subject matter, truly moving. The movie, which is getting lots of press, is great, but the book is better.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I saw where there's a new crime novel by Darwyn Cooke as well that looked good. I'll look up Blue, thanks.

Not the first rec for Blue I've read. It's certainly on the pull list.

One that looks really interesting (and much less serious) is God Hates Astronauts. I think the title alone could prompt me to pick it up.

For Blue, if you click on the link here, you can then look at the book from its amazon listing.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Warmest-C...+warmest+color

Ah, and it has a digital version. Excellent!

Ok, thanks, I'll check Blue out, I see there's a Look Inside tab, which helps.

Justin M. Damiano, by Daniel Clowes, a comic strip that has been in the news lately about how Shia Labeouf ripped it off to make a short film: http://hurryuppleaseitstime.tumblr.c...-daniel-clowes

This could be a good deal if you like Judge Dredd & read on a tablet: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/a-dr...92-off-1769805

^ I can definitely rec Saga, The Wake and East of West. Saga is clearly the best thing Vaughn has ever done. But Snyder's best work this year has been on Batman. Three incredible arcs ("Death in the Family," "Court of Owls" and now "Year Zero") have shown him at his best. His American Vampire (which is coming back in the spring) is also incredible. Snyder is amazing. Read everything he puts his hands on. And Hickman's best work this year wasn't on East of West. The mind-bending Manhattan Projects is better.

And I'll make one last plug for Jeff Lemire. He's my favorite writer (Animal Man, Green Arrow are both great super-heror books) and up there as an artist. CBR has Trillium way under-ranked.

I'm not surprised to see Hawkeye number one. That book gets raves from everyone. I'm really curious to see what Fraction can do outside of Marvel. I checked out the first issue of Sex Criminals (Image) and was a little underwhelmed. I've heard it's gotten better. I believe ComiXology still has the first issue for free.

Yes, I'm almost thru the second trade of Saga, and though I was taken aback by the profanity, just went with it. I think Vaughan is trying to mimic how a modern couple might talk, but it's not for kids. That said though it's pretty interesting. Sort of a SF Romeo & Juliet tale. I like the way he'll surprise you and throw in plenty of curve balls.

I looked at the first Manhattan Project, and it might be interesting, but I was really turned off by the cartoony art. I prefer something a bit more...I don't know, sort of realistic looking. I like a lot of work inspired by the pulps too.

This is about how my list would go:

1. Saga -- a Romeo & Juliet story set in a SF environment. I'll admit I was a bit taken back by some of the profanity, wondering if it's really necessary, but after a while, I just went with it, and I guess I can sort of understand what Vaughan is trying to do. You never know where it's going or what will happen next, which is why it has the audience it does.

2. The Black Beetle -- a throwback to old pulps and serials, and I really dug the artwork by Francesco Francavilla.

3. The Walking Dead -- Negan, the main villain, is hard to take, and I wonder if Kirkman isn't painting himself into a corner with all the badassery--how do you top Negan with a new villain? It's a bit much for me. I don't know if I'll continue reading or even if I've liked the direction it has taken from issue #100 onward--but I'm still reading them--guess that says something.

4. Hawkeye -- it's hard not to like this book with the layout and art. I thought the stories had a stream of conscience feel to them, which took me a bit to get into. Pretty good book.

5. Fatale -- I enjoy horror when done well, and H P Lovecraft, so it's a given if you throw in some pulp and a mystery, I'm going to get hooked. I really enjoy Brubaker, for whatever reason, he can hook me into something pretty quickly.

6. Lazarus -- I'm a sucker for a dystopian SF tale. This one pretty much sates that itch. Lark's art is pretty slick looking.

7. Velvet -- it might be unfair to have this one on the list as it just started up, but I enjoyed the first issue a lot, sort of reminded me of a female James Bond, and I liked that.

8. Joe Kubert Presents -- a limited series by the late Kubert. Not all the stories worked for me in the anthology, but the ones that did I enjoyed, and I always admired his art.

9. King Conan: The Hour of the Dragon - I lost some interest with the regular Conan The Barbarian comic with the run on Belit. But Hour of the Dragon filled that void. Truman knows how to tell a story and great art by Tomas Giorella.

10. Maybe Astro City or Daredevil--they've both been pretty good and reliable this year.

I still want to pick up Paul Pope's Battling Boy, I've always enjoyed his work.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Yes, I'm almost thru the second trade of Saga, and though I was taken aback by the profanity, just went with it. I think Vaughan is trying to mimic how a modern couple might talk, but it's not for kids. That said though it's pretty interesting. Sort of a SF Romeo & Juliet tale. I like the way he'll surprise you and throw in plenty of curve balls.
    Like giant monster dongs?

3. The Walking Dead -- Negan, the main villain, is hard to take, and I wonder if Kirkman isn't painting himself into a corner with all the badassery--how do you top Negan with a new villain? It's a bit much for me. I don't know if I'll continue reading or even if I've liked the direction it has taken from issue #100 onward--but I'm still reading them--guess that says something.
    Yeah, it's real tough to figure out where Kirkman is going with this one. All I know is that somebody I like is probably going to die and Negan will find fun ways to say "fuck" as much as possible--which brings up a good point: How do you get him on tv?

4. Hawkeye -- it's hard not to like this book with the layout and art. I thought the stories had a stream of conscience feel to them, which took me a bit to get into. Pretty good book.
    Time to jump on board, I guess.

6. Lazarus -- I'm a sucker for a dystopian SF tale. This one pretty much sates that itch. Lark's art is pretty slick looking.
    Another one I've been thinking about picking up. Today may be the day.

9. King Conan: The Hour of the Dragon - I lost some interest with the regular Conan The Barbarian comic with the run on Belit. But Hour of the Dragon filled that void. Truman knows how to tell a story and great art by Tomas Giorella.
    The Belit run is example #1 of why Vaughn is not the best thing going. I got real tired of Conan whining about a girl. I may check out King Conan.

I still want to pick up Paul Pope's Battling Boy, I've always enjoyed his work.
    Yeah. I hadn't heard of it before the CBR list. Sounds good.

I am going to have to check out Hawkeye. There's two volumes available on Amazon. I have the first two Saga compilations and it's incredible.

Yes, I watch The Walking Dead on the TV too, and they've already distanced themselves from each other, and I enjoy them both on some level. On TV, after Rick made Carol leave the group, I was sort of pissed, and thought really, in both TV and the comic, if Rick dies, I might be okay with that. It could be interesting to see and read or watch how the group would regroup from there. Yeah, but a bit sad, I'll admit. I think if they wanted to clean up Negan for TV they could, but it seems the TV series, can just find their own niche, and I'm fine with that too. They've got a good creative team.

The Hawkeyes are in trade collections now, and if you live in a town around 100,000 there's a good chance your library may have it, and even better if you live in a metro area. Our podunk library has started handling more comics and movies, which is great, when the public doesn't try to steal them, sigh.

I guess I like more adult themes. Beyond Blue is the Warmest Color, I recommend Alan Moore's Lost Girls. Very adult, but phenomenal art and story.