Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Some Ambient Music with Gilmour-like Guitar

Terje Rypdal's Odyssey is essential. Was just re-released last year.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Fatoldbloke
    Just get 'Storm Corrosion'

LEVEL π "Entrance"

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

FYI--fans of RMI may be interested to know that Wayside is stocking 6 new band released cdr's.!!!!
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Thanks for the interest guys, Steve here from Radio Massacre International. I think it probably was us that you heard on Echoes, we recently did a living room session for John Diliberto, and yes Gary Houghton's guitar could favourably be described as `Gilmouresque' :-) Let me know if there's anything I can help you with !

Quote Originally Posted by Beebfader View Post
    Let me know if there's anything I can help you with !
    Just looked your band up on Wikipedia. Wow! You guys have a ton of releases!

Can you (or anyone else, for that matter) recommend a starting place, specifically with this thread in mind?

Thanks!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Can you (or anyone else, for that matter) recommend a starting place, specifically with this thread in mind?
    Thanks!
    "Frozen North" is more than essential.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I just ordered Rain Falls in Grey from our friends at Cuneiform for my entry into RMI. Is there anything else you would recommend for a beginner, Steve?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    "Frozen North" is more than essential.
    Indeed it is.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'd say that our three Cuneiform albums are good places to start, `Rain Falls In Grey' is more out and out progressive space-rock with drums, the other two are more towards the electronic ambient with guitar stylings (`Time and Motion' has some sparingly used woodwinds too). Of our self released albums (yes there ARE a few, sorry !) the new `Threads' is a goodie, `Maelstrom' a band favourite...if you have the inclination, take time to listen to a few free tracks on our website. The early Centaur discs like `Frozen North' are hard to come by, but don't be paying silly money....they will at least be turning up on Bandcamp very soon, as will much of the back catalogue and more besides.......as soon as we can put the hours in !

Cool. Thank you, sir. And to spacefreak and Nogbad, too!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

All we need now is an RMI East Coast Tour (and I'm not talking Ipswich, Hull & Hartlepool)
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    All we need now is an RMI East Coast Tour (and I'm not talking Ipswich, Hull & Hartlepool)
    Damn, we were just THERE a month ago, played all over the radio and at the Gatherings in Philly, sorry we missed you :-(

Damn, we were just THERE a month ago, played all over the radio and at the Gatherings in Philly, sorry we missed you :-(
    Yeah I know, I would have loved to have been able to make it, unfortunately I couldn't make it work. You remain one of my unfulfilled bucket list bands. I'll get there eventually.
    Ian

While perhaps not exactly what you are describing, but how about some Al Di Meola, such as 'Scenario' (Jan Hammer on keyboards) or 'Orange and Blue' ??
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Thanks for the interest guys, Steve here from Radio Massacre International. I think it probably was us that you heard on Echoes, we recently did a living room session for John Diliberto, and yes Gary Houghton's guitar could favourably be described as `Gilmouresque' :-) Let me know if there's anything I can help you with !
    Love your band Steve. I think i've reviewed about 15 of your recordings over at Prog Archives including your box-set(yeah i'm sucking up). Yeah i'd love to get my hands on some of the early ones i'm missing like Frozen North, Borrowed Atoms and Organ Harvest. I don't know anything about Bandcamp but if it means i'll be able to get a physical copy i'll be happy.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Orcopian
    I'm a big fan of RMI but don't get the chance to listen to much long EM tracks these days. I've got 7or 8 of the earlier CDs as well as some of their virtual concert mp3's. the standout release of the CDs I own is organ harvest, I think the band described it as a less is more approach, so no really big sounding Berlin school sequences but a more measured approach with space between the sounds making it all the more effective. Some great sequencing, loads of mellotron, some piano and off course lots of spacey guitar work. The track rainy day song to me is up there with the great all time em tracks.

Anyone interested in checking them out there are some full length mp3s to download on their website. I see they have just out out a DVD with 5.1 now that will be worth hearing I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Steve Hillage's Rainbow Dome Musick.
    Include me in this recommendation.

This was my first thought when I read the OP.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qUi07zbLHM

The above clip shows roughly what to expect from the Radio Massacre International concert DVD `M21' for those curious ?
    Last edited by Beebfader; 06-20-2013 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Omission

For me, Tarentel's "From Bone to Satellite" delivers a nice modern Floydian/Gilmour vibe. And one of their bandmembers (Jefre Cantu-Ledesma) also is in another band called The Alps (Easy Action, iii, and Le Voyage would be good starting points) that occasionally channels a more acoustic (some of the stuff reminds me of The Narrow Way) Gilmour

Now I think I need to investigate RMI some. They've slipped under my radar...

- Jeff

Agreed on Terje Rypdal..... love him

Good to see people using YouTube to recommend and explore new music.

Funny - after all the Spotify debates and angry calls for boycott, it's good to see casual endorsement of a free streaming music/video site (youTube), except one that DOESN'T pay artists at all and has very loose copyright adherence. Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre C View Post

Funny - after all the Spotify debates and angry calls for boycott, it's good to see casual endorsement of a free streaming music/video site (youTube), except one that DOESN'T pay artists at all and has very loose copyright adherence. Hilarious.
    I'm definitely in two minds about this stuff, I pretty much spent last night on youtube checking out recommendations and adding stuff to my to buy list, on the other hand I had an extensive discussion about why posting full albums on youtube is a disservice to the artist. Guess it just doesn't feel right to me to have the whole album up.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm definitely in two minds about this stuff, I pretty much spent last night on youtube checking out recommendations and adding stuff to my to buy list, on the other hand I had an extensive discussion about why posting full albums on youtube is a disservice to the artist. Guess it just doesn't feel right to me to have the whole album up.

Interesting. So PART of the album is OK..??

Is "all but one tune" OK..??

I don't get that . Either it's wrong to post copyright recorded material... or it's not.

YouTube doesn't pay one red cent to anyone, yet I see people who freak out at legal, artist-paying Spotify posting YouTube links all the time. So , no matter what can be said critiquing Spotify's amounts paid...YouTube's are ZERO.. and with WAY more annoying, corporate ads in your face raking in millions.

I'm just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Andre C View Post

Andre if you're talking about the RMI Youtube recommendation, we (the band) put it up there ourselves ! It's a good way to promote yourselves to people who may be curious....a kind of `try before you buy' scenario. I do wholly disagree with people putting up whole albums though....

Andre if you're talking about the RMI Youtube recommendation, we (the band) put it up there ourselves ! It's a good way to promote yourselves to people who may be curious....a kind of `try before you buy' scenario. I do wholly disagree with people putting up whole albums though....

thanks for the clarification on that..but no..clearly (?) I'm talking about the HUNDREDS of YouTube links that are the coin of the realm here...

Which I'm TOTALLY fine with... I'm just interested at the disconnect between hating/excoriating Spotify, which has legal agreements and pays out the majority of it;s income to artists....vs YouTube, another streaming/on demand service which pays artists....nothing. And does little to go after copyright infringement.

So, question -- you disagree with whole albums - do you mean those posts where the WHOLE continual record is on one link??
    Are you then OK with all the songs on a given album being up there, one video each?? Where do we draw the line??

Also -- is it wrong to have, say the entire "Close To The Edge" up there?? IS that ripping off Yes??

And if that's OK..then we immediately have a sliding scale of rules.