Thread: Cosa Brava

Cosa Brava

I bought Cosa Brava - The Letter earlier this year and it's really growing on me. So much so that I just ordered their first - Ragged Atlas. It was a bit of a gamble because I have never been a huge Frith/Cow fan. But there's something about this group that just hits a lot of my buttons. (Maybe it's the high female/male member ratio )

Any fans out there? Can you recommend other bands/albums that remind you of Cosa Brava?

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    I bought Cosa Brava - The Letter earlier this year and it's really growing on me. So much so that I just ordered their first - Ragged Atlas. It was a bit of a gamble because I have never been a huge Frith/Cow fan. [...] Can you recommend other bands/albums that remind you of Cosa Brava?
    You'd might want to check out the various bands with Amy Denio in them, especially The Danubians and The (EC) Nudes; the latter had Chris Cutler drumming and arguably saw him as close to "conventional" rock music as he'd ever get. Great, melodic yet highly refined and cerebral takes on the "song-form".

I assume you've already sought out Carka Kihlstedt's work with Charming Hostess? If not, then do.

And perhaps Caveman Shoestore and/or Hughscore, with the phenomenal voice of Elaine di Falco - and the latest Thinking Plague for that matter (featuring Elaine as well).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Thanks. I'm only familiar with Eat by Charming Hostess. I've heard two of Karla's other projects, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and Tin Hat Trio, which were OK but didn't get me to the same extent that Cosa Brava does. Very familiar with Thinking Plague. I will try to check out the other recommendations you gave me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Caveman Shoestore and/or Hughscore, with the phenomenal voice of Elaine di Falco (featuring Elaine as well).
    Can't recommend them enough ESSENTIAL

After hearing their music from some internet stream and reading about it on a Prog Music Website (though not this one), I found the Cosa Brava CD on the SquidCo website. I really like the string ensemble approach and have found myself chasing after L'Ensemble Raye, Salle Gaveau, Aranis and the like. I too bought the earlier Frith album (and I like it less than The Letter also).

And what a treasure trove at Squidco ! I found a MotorPsycho and the Three Mice (you may like that a lot)albums I was searching for. I would recommend it for RIO, Avant Prog and lots of craziness in between.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Can't recommend them enough ESSENTIAL
    Particularly Super-Sale by Caveman Shoestore and Delta Flora by Hughscore.

Of course, Brian is also right in emphasizing the more folky, composed parts of Cosa Brava as an obvious continuum on the "classic" continental RIO instrumentalism of Nimal, L'Ensemble Raye, Salle Gaveau, Aranis etc. I guess what Cosa Brava does which I find so enticing is to merge that approach with the more song-based relation to form and structure.

Two other acts that you'd might dig would be Dave Willey & Friends, whose release on AltrOck is completely outstanding, and then Jack O'the Clock, a Californian indie-kinda group containing Brava-member The Norman Conquest whose work dwells into some very melodic quarters not really all too much like CB, but still with that appeal.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Big fan of Caso Brava, checked them out last year based on a reco here, I have both. I got the Hughscore last week and initial impression is good. Looks like this is another thread I'll need monitor for reco's.

If you like the Dave Willey recommended by the Scrotummed one then also check out 3 Mice mentioned by BrianGm it's really good.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.