Thread: CD stores in richmomd, virginia

CD stores in richmomd, virginia

i am visiting friends in richmond, va next week and i'd like to know of any good cd stores that might carry a descent amount of new and used stuff and maybe imports. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sidetracked View Post
    i am visiting friends in richmond, va next week and i'd like to know of any good cd stores that might carry a descent amount of new and used stuff and maybe imports. thanks
    I've frequented Plan 9 Records in Carytown (near VCU campus) hundreds of times through the years.. however.. it's my understanding they are mostly vinyl nowadays.. couldn't keep the doors open with just CD's so they scaled back their operations.. moved the thousands of vinyl from the basement (which was a really cool area for them) up to the first floor.. Other than Plan 9.. I know of no others.. same story with a lot of cities.. WalMart, Best Buy and of course Amazon... have put a hurting on the small retail operations.. Charlottesville Va. (close to where I live) is down to one small shop on the down town mall and a smaller version of Plan 9.. Good luck.. I've bought hundreds of records from the Richmond store over the years.. mint condition used vinyl for a dollar a piece.. CD's used to run $8 each..

Plan 9 was like my second home for the 20 years I lived in Richmond. They used to have an amazing selection. Last time I was there a few months back, it was a pale shadow of what it once was.

Depending on which direction you're coming from (i.e. if you are coming from up north in NH), there are a fair number of places here in NOVA which is along the way: Soundgarden in Baltimore, CDepot in College Park, MD, CD Cellar in Arlington/Falls Church...there are a few other spots in DC proper that I've not yet checked out that apparently have vinyl, etc..