Thread: The Killers

Banned

The Killers

Anyone on FE a fan of this band from Vegas? I remember Peter Nicholas from IQ saying that he liked Day And Age(according to the bio page on the old IQ website). So, I got their debut(Hot Fuss) from Wal-Mart today. I like that they bring back '80s new wave. I actually haven't listened to the CD yet, but I do know a little about them. Any fans?
    Last edited by JIF; 06-19-2013 at 09:13 PM.

I'm a fan of some. I think Mr Brightside is brilliant. They get a little boring for a whole album though. Much better on shuffle where they pop up every now and then.

I enjoy most of their songs when they come on the radio or Pandora, but never sought out more.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I like a lot of their songs. "When You Were Young" is on my iPod for gym listening

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    I'm a fan of some. I think Mr Brightside is brilliant. They get a little boring for a whole album though. Much better on shuffle where they pop up every now and then.
    I disagree. I found all of Hot Fuss quite enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I disagree. I found all of Hot Fuss quite enjoyable.
    I agree, and same goes for all their albums too! FWIW I didn't get into them for 'Hot Fuss', but with their second album 'Sam's Town'.

Although The Killers seem to wear their new wave heart on their sleeves at times, it's usually in the form of a smallish patch. I hear more in common with the anthemic moments of U2. Grand sound with lyrics that tell stories creating imagery that cannot help but remind of the desert from which they came. Great stuff!

BTW, Brandon Flowers' solo album is terrific as well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spotprog View Post
    Although The Killers seem to wear their new wave heart on their sleeves at times, it's usually in the form of a smallish patch. I hear more in common with the anthemic moments of U2. Grand sound with lyrics that tell stories creating imagery that cannot help but remind of the desert from which they came. Great stuff!

BTW, Brandon Flowers' solo album is terrific as well.
    Hot Fuss is my first Killers purchase. It does sound like '80s new wave. I know from what I've read on these guys they tried to morph into a Springsteen/U2 hybrid. Didn't Steve Lillywhite work on one of their CDs?

I love the first two and the latest one have some nice moments in it...
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

Indifferent... Pleasant wallpaper for car radio though.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Thanks for the heads-up in the other thread, JIF. Yup: love The Killers....first time I heard them was "Somebody Told Me" and I thought it was something new by The Fixx....been a fan ever since. I still favor "Hot Fuss" over their other albums but I do like them as well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up in the other thread, JIF. Yup: love The Killers....first time I heard them was "Somebody Told Me" and I thought it was something new by The Fixx....been a fan ever since. I still favor "Hot Fuss" over their other albums but I do like them as well.
    I thought that Somebody Told Me was by Duran Duran.

I thought that Somebody Told Me was by Duran Duran.
    Really? I find Brandon Flowers' vocals so distinctive!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Squigelyfox View Post
    Really? I find Brandon Flowers' vocals so distinctive!
    I was only have joking. Brandon sounds nothing like Simon, but the music has a Duran Duran flavor. To, that song doesn't sound like The Fixx.

I was only have joking. Brandon sounds nothing like Simon, but the music has a Duran Duran flavor. To, that song doesn't sound like The Fixx.
    Tru dat -- but that was the closest thing my feeble brain could think of

Hot Fuss is a good record.....makes me feel nostalgic.

Jennie Was a Friend of Mine has some killin' bass playing, too......not something you hear often in Indy rock these days...

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    They have some brilliant songs, but to listen to a whole album of their's wears me out. Sometimes the lead singer reminds me of Ric Ocasek trying to do a Springsteen impersonation.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that