Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wish You Were Here and the cough

Wish You Were Here and the cough

I've only heard stories that the cough heard at the beginning of Wish You Were Here was Gilmour & that this was the thing that made him give up cigarettes. But why would anyone want to record such a nasty sounding thing on a beautiful song/album? Anyone out there know the answer?
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

That cough really bugs you? Are you kidding me? Obviously, the producer said to leave it in. It doesn't bother me at a all. After all, it just the intro. I think it adds an authenticity factor" to the Blues being played there.

after the series of radio dial spins, the cough fits fine for me
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

What about the cockatiel in Have A Cigar?
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Never noticed a cough, but then again it's not a PF album I listen to that much. Much prefer at least half a dozen others over WYWH - Meddle, DSOTM, Piper, Saucer, Animals, Final Cut, Ummagumma, Division Bell, The Wall, AHM.
    Last edited by PeterG; 06-17-2013 at 08:12 AM.

Around that time David Gilmore was abducted and replaced by an alien. That cough is actually a message to their empire that the mission was successful. Over 40% of the world's classic rock stars are aliens. Apparently the invasion was shut down in 1982. Those that remain are just trying to make a living while remaining clandestine but we shall soon expose them.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Around that time David Gilmore was abducted and replaced by an alien. That cough is actually a message to their empire that the mission was successful. Over 40% of the world's classic rock stars are aliens. Apparently the invasion was shut down in 1982. Those that remain are just trying to make a living while remaining clandestine but we shall soon expose them.
    This sounds like an excellent idea for a concept album, I hope the ideas are fermenting for an upcoming double CD Glass Hammer epic.

Quote Originally Posted by refugee View Post
    This sounds like an excellent idea for a concept album
    No one would have believed that in the last years of the 20th century David Gilmour was.....

How about the "burp" in The Camera Eye....

The cough in Steve Hackett's "A Tower Struck Down" is worse.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Given how they were using spoken word and sound effects at the time, I always assumed it was an artistic element of the song.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Right- it's the guy who's listening to the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Forgot about that one. I don't really mind the cough now that I've listened to it countless times. But I'm curious why the producer & the band allowed it to remain. I'm sure Gilmour didn't wait for a downbeat to start the cough.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I've only heard stories that the cough heard at the beginning of Wish You Were Here was Gilmour & that this was the thing that made him give up cigarettes. But why would anyone want to record such a nasty sounding thing on a beautiful song/album? Anyone out there know the answer?
    I can only speculate. I do think it sounds great just where it is. The album is so dreamlike, it wakes up the listener that an actual performance by a real person is about to start. Part of the perfection of the best Floyd albums is that they know where to break the perfection, and get the listener's active attention.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    But I'm curious why the producer & the band allowed it to remain. I'm sure Gilmour didn't wait for a downbeat to start the cough.
    Well, again, I'm not sure that they "allowed it to remain" so much as they consciously put it there.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Hate the cough a the beginning of WYWH, but wtf was Hackett thinking? "OK, let's interrupt this great instrumental section for a cough and a parrot squawk. That will get the kids to love me!"
    Last edited by Tangram; 06-17-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Johnny Winter coughs in the middle of his guitar break in "Hustled Down in Texas." The guitar playing is so incredible, I wouldn't have it any other way.

There's that bit of silly coughing and dialog at the end of Zep's "In My Time of Dying".
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    There's that bit of silly coughing and dialog at the end of Zep's "In My Time of Dying".
    I always liked that one because Plant sings "Oh, won't you make it my dyin', dyin', dyin........", then someone coughs and he sings "Cough".
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Is that Tony I coughing in the beginning of Sweet Leaf? Wonder why.....

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Right- it's the guy who's listening to the radio.
    Yes, exactly. I'm completely baffled by this thread. This is an intentional sound effect as part of the "artistic element of the songs" as Scott Bails said, isn't it? Doesn't this happen in gobs of PF material? I always assumed it was a guy listening to the radio, too, and didn't even consider it was a band member who was coughing before he plays his guitar part -- if it were that, it obviously would have been edited out.

The Zep moments ("gotta get this airplane off...Nah leave it...") are just fun outtakes that for whatever reason they decided to keep in, a nice little window into the recording process for the listener. But the Floyd things always seem deliberate and part of the artistic context. Whether or not you appreciate them is another matter.

Bernard Szajner: Some Deaths Take Forever - At the end of Ritual there is a remarkable cough.
    The cough is edited out in this live version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxcwqn2Ce00
    But there are some interesting musicians for Magma fans. Colin Swinburne, Bernard Paganotti (bass), Guy Khalifa (cello), Francois Schroeder (sax), Clement Bailly (drums), Howard Devoto (vox) and of course Szajner on all manner of electronics

Jefferson James
    It is clearly a philosophical statement with the highest of artistic ambitions: you are naked, your testicles are in the hands of a powerful stranger, and you are, like Syd, exposed and frightened and flaccid ("turn your head and cough"). It's pretty obvious.

Sounds like Kerry has deep-seated issues with his doctor....

Jefferson James
    You leave my seat out of this.

I recently asked my doctor if I was healthy enough to have sex; he pulled off his lab coat and said, "Let's find out!".