Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: *UPDATE* - NJProghouse Homecoming Weekend - October 12th and 13th

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
    I was only at the Saturday show but it was great! Loved Frogg Cafe and Brislin doing Caravan! All the bands were wonderful and the staff at Roxy's did a really great job with food and drinks, I had been apprehensive about how they would be able to accurately hand out the tabs afterwards.
    Ok, I admit being through a portion of the weekend so had great difficulty placing the very familiar piece Frogg Cafe morphed into from "Any Other Day" (not sure of title, opening track on "Bateless Edge", wound up asking other attendees without success, asked some band members who replied it was a piece off Soft Machine's Third...but obviously it was Caravan and I know the piece (though at the moment not the title) very well. Thanks for clarifiying!

One final note...was checking out the cool T-shirt from the event this morning. I knew that I had missed Sunday morning's opener Tammy Shaeffer but didn't realize I missed Tommy as well

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    One final note...was checking out the cool T-shirt from the event this morning. I knew that I had missed Sunday morning's opener Tammy Shaeffer but didn't realize I missed Tommy as well
    Tammy's twin brother Tommy had to cancel at the last minute, but he was gracious enough to give her his spot on the bill. I think she's the more talented one, anyway.

chalkpie
    Ok, I admit being through a portion of the weekend so had great difficulty placing the very familiar piece Frogg Cafe morphed into from "Any Other Day" (not sure of title, opening track on "Bateless Edge", wound up asking other attendees without success, asked some band members who replied it was a piece off Soft Machine's Third...but obviously it was Caravan and I know the piece (though at the moment not the title) very well. Thanks for clarifiying!

Glad you crazy cats dug the gig.

As far as the "mystery tune" is concerned, technically you are both correct and incorrect I guess. The tune was originally written by Mike Ratledge and is taken from "Slightly All The Time" from THIRD. The particular section is called "Backwards". Why? I have no fucking idea, but its great.

As far as Caravan is concerned, yes we did the version that they 'covered' on both FOR GIRLS..... and LIVE AT THE FAIRFIELD HALLS from the tune "A Hunting We Shall Go". Confused yet? Just ask Aymeric - he's the resident Canterbury brainiac and can probably explain it better than my dumb ass.

Cheers!

Jim Robinson is a G O D!

Just got home from a marvelous weekend of progressive music! Well worth the 500 miles round trip to see a number of bands I had seen only once again (Advent, IZZ, D97, Beardfish, Tea Club, Frogg Cafe) and getting turned onto Thank You Scientist, whose high-energy set was a blast. So great to hang with the friendly fandom as I hadn't been to a Fest since FMPM's final edition. Saw many familiar faces and met many new folks. Enjoyed hanging with Plasmatopia (Guy), his lovely wife and good bud throughout the weekend, including dinner at the Portuguese BBQ joint down the road. My brother with whom I stayed in nearby Montclair, a folkie at heart, joined me for Sunday and while he is not converting to progdom was very impressed by the bands.."these guys have chops!" My favorite statement of his from the weekend- "I haven't thought about music like this since I smoked my last roach when I was 14!" Great to meet Alan and Amy's parents, the Goldbergs; fun to provide a brief education in prog to the sister of Frogg cafe's drummer; a wonderful weekend with great music and folks. Chairs could be comfier but otherwise the venue was very accomodating. Special kudos to Tom Brislin, who "sat in" with Advent and Frogg Cafe as well as providing "intermission" entertainment between sets. Kudos to Jim Robinso, the Benjamins, and all other parties involved. As I said to my bro, "this was like a party!"
    t
    It was great to see you as always, Rick. Nice to meet and hang out with your brother too. We need to get down to a show in your neck of the woods if something interesting comes along.

We really enjoyed seeing Frogg Cafe on stage again. I believe the only other time I saw them was at Nectar's in Burlington, VT...possibly one of their last live shows before their long hiatus, but in the meantime I've gotten to know Bill, Andy, Frankie, and John over the course of a few NFests. Always a fun time hanging with those guys.

This was my third time seeing Beardfish and perhaps the best of the three shows. I couldn't have expected a better set list. I will have to agree with Thomas -- with all due respect to John Wetton (who was great) I did miss being able to see D97 dig into a few more of their own tunes. Thank You Scientist is my biggest discovery of the weekend. I bought both CDs they had available and what I've heard so far is awesome.
    <sig out of order>

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    One final final note...the free cupcakes were awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I will have to agree with Thomas -- with all due respect to John Wetton (who was great) I did miss being able to see D97 dig into a few more of their own tunes.
    Wetton was really good. I guess I needed two separate shows, one of D97 with Wetton, and a full D97 show. Too much to ask. And I've seen D97 3 times now, I should count my blessings.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Wetton was really good. I guess I needed two separate shows, one of D97 with Wetton, and a full D97 show. Too much to ask. And I've seen D97 3 times now, I should count my blessings.
    I could have written those same words, lol.
    <sig out of order>