Thread: Steve Winwood solo

Steve Winwood solo

I only have Nine Lives, a good album, sounds very much like Traffic. What's essential of Winwood albums?

Arc of a Diver and About Time should be in the collection of anyone who enjoys Traffic.

To my ears, these three (counting Nine Lives) are excellent albums from one of the music's best craftsmen.

I also have a soft spot for his self-titled solo album, but wouldn't put it with these three in terms of quality.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Thanks for replies! I once heard Arc of a Diver, first two songs, but then stopped, could not bear it because of the standard 80s sound.
    Recently I have heard Far From Home, a Traffic come back album, and I'd say it is not bad at all. Fairly decent album, like Prodigal Stranger by Procol Harum.

There was a compilation LP, with tracks from Winwood's long & storied career with Traffic, Blind Faith, Spencer Davis and others. That's a quality selection.

The group "GO" featuring Steve winwood on Lead vocals, piano and guitars with many famous musicians included in the band would be my favorite solo Winwood project away from Traffic.....Then Arc of a Diver....

The group "GO" featuring Steve winwood on Lead vocals, piano and guitars with many famous musicians included in the band would be my favorite solo Winwood project away from Traffic.....Then Arc of a Diver....

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Arc of a Diver and About Time should be in the collection of anyone who enjoys Traffic.

To my ears, these three (counting Nine Lives) are excellent albums from one of the music's best craftsmen.

I also have a soft spot for his self-titled solo album, but wouldn't put it with these three in terms of quality.
    Absolutely disagree with Arc Of A Diver (and the following is equally disastrous)>> it's almost an insult to Traffic music.... Replace Diver with his S/T debut from 77 (with the tree), because there are still members of Traffic on it, and three tracks are Traffic-albums worthy (ok the 94 album is so-so)... which IMHO, you can't say that with any other SW solo albums....

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Thanks for replies! I once heard Arc of a Diver, first two songs, but then stopped, could not bear it because of the standard 80s sound.
    Recently I have heard Far From Home, a Traffic come back album, and I'd say it is not bad at all. Fairly decent album, like Prodigal Stranger by Procol Harum.
    Not just a question of 80's production, I don't think the songwriting is any good either.

nd I prefer Traffic's 94 album to PH's PG album from 91, because it sounds much less 80's... But I also think the songwriting on FFH is slightly better, though none come close to their 70's counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by ZEPPELIN4EVER View Post
    The group "GO" featuring Steve winwood on Lead vocals, piano and guitars with many famous musicians included in the band would be my favorite solo Winwood project away from Traffic.....
    Yeah, Go is indeed an excellent lbum that could bear Wonwood's name upfront instre--ead of Stomu Yamashta's.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Absolutely disagree with Arc Of A Diver (and the following is equally disastrous)>> it's almost an insult to Traffic music.... Replace Diver with his S/T debut from 77 (with the tree), because there are still members of Traffic on it, and three tracks are Traffic-albums worthy (ok the 94 album is so-so)... which IMHO, you can't say that with any other SW solo albums....
    Yes, I like at least 4 songs on FFH. Not a bad album for me. So, you suggest to get Go? I remember there was a double-CD edition of Go and Go too.. I think I have this, only need to find it..BTW, I'm not very much into Yama'shta. The only album of his that I like is Floating Music.

if you like Traffic, then his 2003 album 'About Time' is a must!
    i have all his albums and the only disappointing one was his 1997's Junction Seven.

Yes, I like Traffic, I have all their albums on CD, except Welcome to the Canteen.
    About Time I never heard, but I remember I saw this CD in one of our musical stores. Will try to get it now!

Yes, I like at least 4 songs on FFH. Not a bad album for me. So, you suggest to get Go? I remember there was a double-CD edition of Go and Go too.. I think I have this, only need to find it..BTW, I'm not very much into Yama'shta. The only album of his that I like is Floating Music.
    Go and Go Live (in Paris are both excellent, but don't expect traffic.... However, you'd better avoid Go Too, which has nothing to do with the other two...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Agree re Go and Go Live, but they are very, very far from being Winwood albums. The key player and writer on them is Stomu Yamashta.

I think the self-titled album is completely underrated. It just has that vibe...relaxed but still interesting. I admit I'm a complete sucker for "Let Me Make Something In Your Life". The sparse piano kills me.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    There was a compilation LP, with tracks from Winwood's long & storied career with Traffic, Blind Faith, Spencer Davis and others. That's a quality selection.

Yeah, when I saw him 18 months ago, that's almost the way he went about things... started with some SDG stuff, then went on to early traffic, than a Blind Faith track, than later Traffic, than his solo stuff.... and for an encore, a later Traffic tune...

That About Time album is indeed quite good.... Although i'd seen it before, I had never gotten around to listening to it

I can rank just behind the s/t debut as his best non-Traffic

One strong selling point for the About Time album is the return of Steve playing Hammond organ which was seemingly absent or buried in the mix on his 80's releases.
    Last edited by nsmith1002; 07-09-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Absolutely disagree with Arc Of A Diver (and the following is equally disastrous)>> it's almost an insult to Traffic music....
    To be fair it is a 'solo' album in the truest sense of the word, IIRC Steve plays everything on it -- keys, bass, drum machine, as well as writing, producing and singing. That tends to make for small horizons.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Steve plays everything on it -- keys, bass, drum machine, as well as writing, producing and singing. That tends to make for small horizons.
    Depends on the artist IMO: people like Steve and Peter Hammill can pull it off without sounding too restricted.

Quote Originally Posted by nsmith1002 View Post
    One strong selling point for the About Time album is the return of Steve playing Hammond organ which was seemingly absent or buried in the mix on his 80's releases.
    Buried in the mix... at least it was fairly present on Back in The High Life, but absent (AFAIK or remember) on Arc and Talking Back

and most notably on Freedom Overspill >> the Hammond gives the song its power

I only have Nine Lives, a good album, sounds very much like Traffic. What's essential of Winwood albums?
    I think "Dirty City" is one of his best songs.

I rather fancy Steve Winwoods 1986 & 1988 albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I think "Dirty City" is one of his best songs.
    Yes, I agree! And it sounds like a lost Traffic song.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Go and Go Live (in Paris are both excellent, but don't expect traffic.... However, you'd better avoid Go Too, which has nothing to do with the other two...
    I disagree. While Go Too is not the masterpiece both Go and Go Live are, in no way Go Too deserves the bad press it received over the years. Here's my (Dutch, but translating is quite easy these days) review for the album: http://www.progwereld.org/cms/recens...%80%93-go-too/

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    I disagree. While Go Too is not the masterpiece both Go and Go Live are, in no way Go Too deserves the bad press it received over the years. Here's my (Dutch, but translating is quite easy these days) review for the album: http://www.progwereld.org/cms/recens...%80%93-go-too/
    Though I'm not kind to the album in myown PA review, I just said that it has nothing to do musically-speaking with the other two albums.

I enjoyed his first release as already mentioned.. Arc I bought just because it had his name on it.. of course it did get a lot of exposure on the radio and I seem to remember people getting off to it in the dance clubs at that time (not that I ever ventured into one of those establishments..)