Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exceeding Your Expectations

Exceeding Your Expectations

I'm not a fan of Black Sabbath but it seems that a lot of people in the thread about their new album are pleasantly surprised at how good it is, given the band's age and recent output. I've had the same reaction with Rush's "Clockwork Angels" and Ian Anderson's "Thick as Brick 2". What other "dinosaur" acts have put out recent albums that exceeded your expectations for them at this stage in their career?
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Definitely CMFA - best they've done since Counterparts, IMO.

I'd say Yes' Fly from Here, too. It's not a "Yes Classic" by any stretch, but considering most of their post-Talk stuff, and all of the drama surrounding the making of it, I had virtually no expectations at all, and I really like it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Santana's Shape Shifter... the best thing since Amigos or Moonflower...

As for TAAB2, I kind of disagree (though it's allright, but no more).... Tull's Roots To Branches tops that easily
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Van Halen and Black Sabbath exceeded my expectations with their newest albums. Ian Andersons TAAB2 did not.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Golden Earring's 2012 release, Tits 'n Ass.
    I don't think the band itself had high expectations of this album, naming it something that can't be shown in most stores, considering where their target audience shops. Dumb move, but then again, who buys albums anymore. Can't wait for their follow-up... Bukkake.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    Van Halen and Black Sabbath exceeded my expectations with their newest albums. Ian Andersons TAAB2 did not.
    Depends on what kind of expectations one has about a given band. I expected nothing of VH and BS, and most likely, it'll be a few more months before I get the courage to borrow teir album from my library system

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Can't wait for their follow-up... Bukkake.
    Spinal Tap's Smell The Glove, move over....
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

"Dignified." A word not often used when describing The Beach Boys.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

Deep Purple "Perfect Strangers"

George Harrison "Cloud Nine"

Nektar "Evolution"

Definitely agree with Fly From Here, Clockwork Angels, TAAB2 and 13, and I'll add Sounds That Can't Be Made, as well as any number of recent Steve Hackett or Peter Hammill/VDGG releases.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

I'd say Yes' Fly from Here, too. It's not a "Yes Classic" by any stretch, but considering most of their post-Talk stuff, and all of the drama surrounding the making of it, I had virtually no expectations at all, and I really like it.
    Drama? Pun intended or no?

Van der Graaf Generator: A Grounding in Numbers. I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned yet.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“Walking, Eating My Hot Dog”-Guru Guru/Mani und seine Freunde

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Van der Graaf Generator: A Grounding in Numbers. I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned yet.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“Walking, Eating My Hot Dog”-Guru Guru/Mani und seine Freunde
    For me, the VDGG reunion era albums have been among the most disappointing. I like "Trisector" the best by far.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Deep Purple "Perfect Strangers"

George Harrison "Cloud Nine"

Nektar "Evolution"

Recent output....

(re-read the OP)

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Recent output....

(re-read the OP)

Recent is a relative term.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I don't think the band itself had high expectations of this album, naming it something that can't be shown in most stores, considering where their target audience shops. Dumb move, but then again, who buys albums anymore. Can't wait for their follow-up... Bukkake.
    Their main audience is in The Netherlands and stores here don't have troubles showing it. We are not as prudish as people in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Their main audience is in The Netherlands and stores here don't have troubles showing it. We are not as prudish as people in the USA.

I'd even say that the record shops next to the red light district display the vinyl copu at the front of their windows...

One band whose recent product exceeded my expectations, was Silly.
    They had a new singer to replace the late Tamara Danz, but the result on Alles Rot was pretty good and I hope Kopf an Kopf is equally good. I still need to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    What other "dinosaur" acts have put out recent albums that exceeded your expectations for them at this stage in their career?
    • The Cars
    • Van Halen
    • Heart
    • Whitesnake
    • Lindsey Buckingham
    • The Fixx
    • Journey
    • Rick Springfield

Agree with the Beach Boys' 'That's Why God Made The Radio'. Some great songs on there.

Tony Banks' 'Six Pieces For Orchestra' definitely. Quite a bit better than 'Seven'.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    any number of recent Steve Hackett or Peter Hammill/VDGG releases.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Good topic for a thread. I've been wanting to bring up a few recent releases from the last 4-5 years that have either exceeded my expectations, or at least were just very good.

Black Sabbath 13: It didn't exceed my expectations but I think it's about as good and album this band could produce in the 21st century. It's not gonna rival that run of albums from s/t to Sabotage but I think it's an album that stands up well in their legacy. It brings them full circle (sorta). Until they get Bill Ward back in the band (or at least in the studio for another album) it won't be a true reunion.

Metallica- Death Magnetic/Beyond Magnetic: This exceeded my expectations. I think it's a fine album and stands well alonside "And Justic For All" and the Black Album.

Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier: I didn't think they could top any of the previous, reunion albums but they did with this album.

Soundgarden - King Animal: Not sure what I was expecting but I think it's killer. The only other album by Soundgarden I have is a compilation called "A Sides." King Animal stands up well with those classic sngs on the compilation.

Van Halen: A Different Kind Of Truth: Wow!!! It was better than I thought it would be.

AC/DC- Black Ice: Meh, it hasn't aged well. It's way too polite. Too many songs, and the songs are too short. In contrast, I thought Stiff Upper Lip and Ballbreaker were KILLER!

Rush - Clockwork Angels: Nothing new by Rush will ever exceed my expectations. I know this album is loved by many. It has some good songs and they're still great musicians. I just can't stand Geddy's voice anymore. That's it. His voice grates on my nerves.

Another one that exceeded my expextations was Somewhere To Elsewhere by Kansas. Yes I know that album is 13 years old already, but it's the last album by Kansas, and we'll probably never get another new Kansas album again. It was a good way to end their recording career. I think it's a great album.

Ray Russell is 66. Not that I expected him to put out a piece of shit, but his new cd is really good.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Just heard Sab's new album.... yup, rather good... maybe their best since H&H (though I hardly hear past Born Again)