Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tony Banks and the Fake Hockey Sweater.

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    The black/orange/yellow is/was hideous, especially the version with the large "V" on the front.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Might be the ugliest NHL unis ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

Especially bad considering how classic its predessor is

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Especially bad considering how classic its predessor is

BG
    Yup.

Again, reminds me of Dr. Smith from Lost in Space.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yup.

Again, reminds me of Dr. Smith from Lost in Space.
    That was pretty horrible. I think it competes with the 70's/80's Houston Astros uniforms.

Speaking of baseball, I recall an old Rush video, I think it was Vital Signs, and Neil is wearing a Montreal Expos hat. Not sure if he's the baseball fan to the level of Geddy Lee (a known baseball junkie), but the team was friends back then with Expos player Warren Cromartie. Cromartie is mentioned sort of in the artwork of the Signals album. It shows a diagram of the "Warren Cromartie School".

There is a photo out there of Geddy wearing an Angels jersey while taking batting practice with the team. If I were home I'd search for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post

Speaking of baseball, I recall an old Rush video, I think it was Vital Signs, and Neil is wearing a Montreal Expos hat. Not sure if he's the baseball fan to the level of Geddy Lee (a known baseball junkie), but the team was friends back then with Expos player Warren Cromartie. Cromartie is mentioned sort of in the artwork of the Signals album. It shows a diagram of the "Warren Cromartie School".
    In either the liner notes of Permanent Waves or Signals, it says "Steve Shutt, thanks for the sticks." Shutt was a winger for the Montreal Canadiens.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    The black/orange/yellow is/was hideous, especially the version with the large "V" on the front.
    Hideous, certainly not... it's one of the most harmonious colour combination around >> and the large V was Vancouver's V

However, these three colours may not be in line with the usual Northwest (Seattle or Vancouver) prof sport teams jersey coulours, who usually use blue, green and grey >> the notable exception being the CFL's BC Lions...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

WeatherWiseCDC
    I discussed this in the NHL thread, but I'll mention it here as well. One of the team's greatest legacies is its 1994 Stanley Cup run, the team reaching Game 7 of the Finals and nearly upsetting the heavily-favored New York Rangers. That team was defined by the likes of Pavel Bure, Trevor Linden, and Kirk McLean. The city grew exponentially as a hockey market during these years, primarily due to Bure's electrifying style and dynamic game. He was a rock star in Vancouver, someone who converted an entire province into hockey fans on the basis of how exciting he was to watch; his and his team's accomplishments played an enormous role in shaping the hockey culture here. These colors are as much a part of the Canucks' identity as the blue, green, and white.

If ever there was a rock star/celebrity in hockey, it was Pavel Bure. In Vancouver, Pavelmania was much like Beatlemania; the city adored him, and his presence alone gave birth to what we call "Canucks Nation" today.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...29/1/index.htm
    December 07, 1992
    The Russian Rocket
    Moscow-born right wing Pavel Bure is having a blast in Vancouver
    Austin Murphy

Glen Ringdal's job suddenly got much easier on Oct. 31, 1991. That was the day the Vancouver Canucks signed Pavel Bure. At long last Ringdal, the Canucks' marketing director, had someone to market.

Asked to name the players who preceded Bure (rhymes with HOO-ray) on Vancouver's list of stars, Ringdal answers tactfully. "Harold Snepsts was very popular," he says, referring to the glowering, unibrowed defenseman who played 12 years for the Canucks. "The fans went crazy when he scored a goal."

And? "Stan Smyl was a crowd favorite." Smyl, a Canuck from 1978-79 to '90-91, was a bent-nosed forward from northern Alberta beloved for his work ethic and grit. "And of course Trevor is very popular." Trevor Linden, a more skilled version of Smyl, is Vancouver's current captain.

Finally, the tact gives way to candor. "I guess there were no real stars before Pavel, who holds the audience captive every time the puck is on his stick," says Ringdal. "The fans liked Harold. What you have with Pavel is more of an idolization, like you get with certain musical artists. Like you got with Elvis."

Hyperbole? Two thousand people attended Bure's first practice in Vancouver, on Nov. 3, 1991. The freebie 8-by 10-inch glossies of Bure that the Canucks once distributed before home games now sell for up to $25 on the memorabilia market. There was such a crush for the pictures, says Ringdal, that "the people handing them out were getting mauled."

Vancouverites could hardly be blamed for overreacting. They were superstar virgins. Citizens of this coniferous jewel of a city, which has a major league team only in hockey, had never seen Bure's like in a Canuck uniform: a game breaker, a dangerous, attacking player capable of scoring from anywhere without help from anyone. "He can take the puck from behind our net, carry it down the ice and score," says Linden. "That's rare."

That's Bure. With 24 goals at the end of last week, he was on a pace to score 81 this season. In their 22-year, Stanley Cup-less history, the Canucks have never had a 50-goal scorer. Until Bure won last year's Calder Trophy as the league's best rookie, no Vancouver player had ever won an NHL postseason award. Linden, the Canucks' former glamour-puss, now gets letters like this one:
    Dear Trevor,

You've always been my favorite Canuck, so could you get me Pavel's autograph?
    "Humbling," says Linden. Overwhelming, admits Bure, who has hired someone to deal with the sacks of fan mail. The Russian Rocket, as Bure has been christened locally, is seen all over town. There he is, decked out to resemble James Dean, in a fashion spread in Western Living magazine, which gushed, "We think [Dean's] Little Boy Lost good looks have been reincarnated in Pavel Bure." And there he is in Canuck ads in bus shelters and on billboards: Where Linden's photo once appeared, there is now a picture of Bure, a rocket on his back, with a caption reading, WE HAVE LIFTOFF.
    Relating that back to the topic, it's incredible that the Canucks were featured in international popular culture as far back as 1977. The team was not successful in the '70s and was fairly new at the time. I don't know if any earlier depiction exists of an international musician wearing a Canucks sweater.
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 06-13-2013 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Hideous, certainly not... it's one of the most harmonious colour combination around >> and the large V was Vancouver's V
    Everything you say is true, and yet, that uniform is absolutely putrid.

The ones above posted by WeatherWise make MUCH better usage of the colors.

Everything you say is true, and yet, that uniform is absolutely putrid.

The ones above posted by WeatherWise make MUCH better usage of the colors.
    Tastes and colours, uh?? (and I'm probably in a minority in this case)... and while I don't mind the later yellow or black jerseys, I find the idea of adding the white coulour absolutely disastrous a decision...

but that's Huguette, the utterly-gay (i'm a lesbian) interior designer speaking
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    However, these three colours may not be in line with the usual Northwest (Seattle or Vancouver) prof sport teams jersey coulours, who usually use blue, green and grey >> the notable exception being the CFL's BC Lions...
    Sorry, those uniforms were simply dreadful. They looked like a pathetic attempt at a superhero costume. "harmonious colors" is not something I connect with sports uniforms. And the giant V? Not exactly a classic logo. I understand having nostalgia over such things, but that is all.

"Tony Banks and the Fake Hockey Sweater"

Umm, what is the name of the next Hardy Boys mystery book?
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    "Tony Banks and the Fake Hockey Sweater"

Umm, what is the name of the next Hardy Boys mystery book?
    Lol! Nah, there needs to be something about a lighthouse or a cove.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

When I worked for the Panthers, I got to help present Yes with jerseys on their 35th Anniversary Tour (see photo of me with Jon Anderson and Alan White). I personally handed Rick Wakeman his personalized Panthers jersey. His response: "Fucking brilliant!"

MeWithYes2004-web.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/
    Stories, video, and podcasts at: www.michaelsrecordcollection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Sorry, those uniforms were simply dreadful. They looked like a pathetic attempt at a superhero costume. "harmonious colors" is not something I connect with sports uniforms. And the giant V? Not exactly a classic logo. I understand having nostalgia over such things, but that is all.
    The V was not a logo per se

The logo (the skate reading Canucks) was worn on the sleeves of the sweater...

You know I think the NHL would do well to try to look like a 21st century sport by symplifying their equipment

sometimes these guys look like sissies in 19th C garter belts

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    Carlos Santana can be seen in a St. Louis Blues jersey on the Swing Of Delight album.
    He wears a Cleveland Indians jersey all the time:

"...sometimes these guys look like sissies in 19th C garter belts".

Ha, I would love to see you say that to Zdeno Chara in person, lol.

Seriously, if looking like a 21st century sporting team means wearing Fly Emirates on the front of your fucking chest, ala Arsenal, then I'm glad they are sticking to their 'old school ways'.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Seriously, if looking like a 21st century sporting team means wearing Fly Emirates on the front of your fucking chest, ala Arsenal, then I'm glad they are sticking to their 'old school ways'.

neil
    Couldn't agree more.

He wears a Cleveland Indians jersey all the time:
    Good one Scott! And a throwback uni as well, bonus points for that one...

There was a record store promo poster for a Genesis album, (might have been for Abacab) that showed Phil Collins wearing the Canucks sweater, similar to Banks. I always liked Bruford wearing the Bruin logo on his white overalls, B for both Bill and Bruford. A few posts prior there is a pic of Frank Pancho Sampedro wearing a Canadiens jersey, also on the cover of Neil Young Rust Never Sleeps; somewhat appropriate as the CH logo could be interpreted as Crazy Horse. Gentle Giant drummer John Weathers used to wear an Oakland A's uni in concert, pants, jersey and cap (he liked the color scheme of the uni). http://www.blazemonger.com/GG/File:C...helson-005.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ten Thumbs View Post
    A few posts prior there is a pic of Frank Pancho Sampedro wearing a Canadiens jersey, also on the cover of Neil Young Rust Never Sleeps; somewhat appropriate as the CH logo could be interpreted as Crazy Horse.
    Or he could have been a Larry Robinson fan.

Those Black, Yellow, & Red Canucks jerseys are hideous, especially with the "V," which looks like a bad high school graduation. The earlier ones weren't a whole lot better. They looked like a TV screen with a hockey stick on it. Being the 70s, when Pong was the first home video game, I couldn't help but think of that Canucks jersey as the Hockey version of Pong.