Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommend some Progressive Metal!

Here's one from the late 80's, HELSTAR - "A Distant Thunder". They sound a bit like a precursor to Symphony X. Their following album, "Nosferatu" is usually more heralded because it's a concept album; it's good but I think Distant Thunder is better.

Last edited by Garden Dreamer; 06-11-2013 at 09:10 PM.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    I should be the last person to hear from regarding Prog Metal yet I have few I like

Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness
    Opeth - Damnation
    Opeth - Heritage
    Indukti - S.U.S.A.R.
    Great list right there.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

PAGAN'S MIND!!!!!!!!!!

You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Just listened to Haken's Aquarius album this evening. Great stuff. It is a somewhat bizarre concept about a mermaid. But, the lyrics are secondary to the great music. There is a few seconds of growling in one of the songs. However, it is used sparingly and I think within the concept represents a certain character.

Just a brilliant release. Aquarius is not as heavy as their next one, Visions. However, both are excellent.

Looking forward to a new release from these guys.

PE member Kim Olesen may be modest enough not to promote his own band Anubis Gate (which I mentioned way back on page 1), but this song off their last album just destroys me. They've had three absolute stunners in a row with Andromeda Unchained, The Detached, and Anubis Gate. New album coming soon from what I understand.

Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Am aware & fan of the big guns of this genre i.e DT, Queensryche, Threshold & Savatage but thats about it. Feel like I have so much more of this genre to discover.
    Recommendations please of bands similar to those mentioned !

Other big guns imo would include Riverside, Pain of Salvation, Opeth and Fates Warning. Sorry Shadow Gallery.

Oh yeah, Symphony X too.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    PE member Kim Olesen may be modest enough not to promote his own band Anubis Gate (which I mentioned way back on page 1), but this song off their last album just destroys me. They've had three absolute stunners in a row with Andromeda Unchained, The Detached, and Anubis Gate. New album coming soon from what I understand.
    i like the clip but i'm afraid the CD is a bit out of my price range..

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...+g%2Caps%2C240

$307.00? really?
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Gordion Knot get pretty heavy metallic on their albums... try them too
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    i like the clip but i'm afraid the CD is a bit out of my price range..

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...+g%2Caps%2C240

$307.00? really?
    The self-titled one is at Nightmare Records' site. Anubis Gate self-titled. But yeah, you have to go digital for the others, as I did. Evidently the old record label screwed them over which may have something to do with their OOP status.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

chalkpie
    This is the most progressive, fuckin most kick-ass metal in the history of metal! YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    This is the most progressive, fuckin most kick-ass metal in the history of metal! YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

A friend of mine that I used to work with told me about these guys, so I bought this CD. At first, I didn't get it. Now, I wish that more '80s "hair bands" will write lyrics like Steel Panther. Btw, death to all but metal.

chalkpie
    Are those the actual guys on the cover? They can honestly really play, actually emulate that period perfectly. Sort of a modern day American Spinal Tap.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Are those the actual guys on the cover? They can honestly really play, actually emulate that period perfectly. Sort of a modern day American Spinal Tap.
    I think that the Spinal Tap comparison is unfair. The members of Spinal Tap were actors/comedians first, musicians second. Steel Panther are not actors. Their singer was even in a Van Halen tribute band called Atomic Punks.

I'm listening to some very cool new prog-metal from Tesseract. Love the mix of heavy riffs and smooth, upper register voclas, and even nice harmony vocals. I haven't really gotten into any of the "djent" thing, but this album may make me explore that style far more.

check out MindMaze. When I worked at a music store, there was a group of kids that used to come in on busy Saturdays and try to rehearse on the sales floor. They sucked, but they were all like 14 to 16. Now, 10 years later, a lot has changed. They've worked really hard and made some cool stuff. More on the Iron Maiden side of prog metal, I guess, but still a good listen.

Distorted Harmony
    Pain Of Salvation
    Andromeda
    Redemption
    Symphony X
    Cynic
    Riverside

I readily admit that they're musically more of an alternative/hard rock hybrid, but other than Claudio Sanchez's nasal, high-pitched vocals, I can find little fault in Coheed & Cambria. (That being said, I only own a couple of their albums; therefore, I couldn't begin to tell you what the series of comic books- having something to do with a sci-fi/galactic struggle known as the Amory Wars- that accompany their releases entails.)

On a completely different note, Finland''s Nightwish (imho) are the long-standing champions of symphonic metal. Their former vocalist Tarja Turunen is a classically-trained opera singer.

On the less melodic side of things, Mastodon's Crack The Skye is a stellar release.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer's ghost View Post

On the less melodic side of things, Mastodon's Crack The Skye is a stellar release.
    And their latest "The Hunter" isn't too bad either. Might not be as 'progressive' as "Skye" but it rocks just as hard!

Regards,
    Jon

HaHa... Steel Panther. Classic. They actually write pretty good tunes if you're in a 80s glam metal mood. There is a 'prog' connection to them too. The guitarist in the SP, Russ Parrish aka Satchel, played with Kevin Gilbert's band. Check out Russ on Tea for One.
    Squids was in KG's band too, so I wonder then if he ever thought Russ would turn into Satchel?!? or if he keeps in touch with him. They are crazy.

I'm a Prog Metal novice too and I like some it but its gotta be melodic. I dig some of Pagan's Mind, Shadow Gallery... DT is decent, PoS is alright. Dislike the grunt, growlin vocals that pop up (excuse the ignorance I think that's what they are called). I thoroughly enjoyed CM Nine cd. It may be my favorite Prog Metal disc I have, so I'm wonder if there are any other bands similar to them? Tried Seventh Wonder but not my cup of tea.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    For some reason the holidays have me returning to listening to some Progressive Metal, something I've barely done in a couple of years. I have lot but I was kind of losing interest.

So today I listened to two classics: Eternity X - The Edge, and Dream Theater - Images and Words. Actually, I didn't listen to the entire albums, but a good portion of each. I just wasn't in the car enough! Eternity X I really hadn't heard for a long time - it came out 20 years ago! And Images and Words 25 years ago! It's funny, some of the 90s stuff seems to have aged enough that it's got a rather quaint sound. The Eternity X album sounds positively genteel, although they do rock out at times. I think it was among the first prog metal albums I bought from Laser's Edge. I remember Ken Golden "instructing" me on how a lot of progressive metal was pretty enjoyable, and providing more proginess than the prog scene was at the time. It was sort of true - depends what kind of prog you liked, and I liked a variety (as does Ken, of course). But also Ken was sensing the trend of prog metal and turning his customers on to it. I still remember his excitement about the first Rhapsody album!