Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SOUND OF CONTACT to Close Saturday at ProgDay 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I believe that the change from Labour Day was prompted by the Hurricane in the previous year, where it rained none stop throughout the whole weekend. The show was held in the Cat's Cradle. It's been held on Labour Day ever since.

Dave Sr.
    If I remember correctly it was a combination of the hurricane the previous year and the fact the people often complained about the heat and / or having the festival on a holiday weekend. Peter tried to experiment and move it about a month later in the year. On the positive side there were no hurricane issues, but as I mentioned earlier, it was one of the smallest attended shows in the festival’s history. One of the other factors that came into play was that even though it was only a month later than normal, it was enough of a difference that it got dark quite a bit earlier. Storybook has a sundown curfew, so that factor cut into the time the bands could be on stage. In the end it was an experiment that did not really work unfortunately.

Steve Sly

The reason that ProgDay was moved to October in 2000 was because Greg Walker did Progfest on Labor Day weekend in California that year and Peter didn't want to compete with Progfest.

Quote Originally Posted by Miciah View Post
    The reason that ProgDay was moved to October in 2000 was because Greg Walker did Progfest on Labor Day weekend in California that year and Peter didn't want to compete with Progfest.
    Mmm........I was also on the ProgDay council at the time (or whatever it was called) and that is not exactly how I remember it, but after almost 2 decades of ProgDay's I guess I could be recalling things incorrectly.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Mmm........I was also on the ProgDay council at the time (or whatever it was called) and that is not exactly how I remember it, but after almost 2 decades of ProgDay's I guess I could be recalling things incorrectly.

Steve Sly
    Steve, I suppose I should have said "main reason." All of the things you mention - weather, heat, daylight, holidays - are definite considerations whenever there are discussions about when ProgDay should be held. Peter rethought the situation every year and those considerations were in play in 2000. But based on conversations I had with Peter at the time, the factor that pushed the date change was that Greg scheduled Progfest on Labor Day weekend that year. Greg obviously didn't consider ProgDay to be competing for the same audience, but Peter thought differently.

Banned
    That Progfest was very strong. Doing some research I learned that Kenso and Transatlantic played and of course Kenso kicked complete ass.

My recollection is that Greg talked to Peter about his plans to schedule Progfest on Labor Day weekend that year before he went ahead with it. Both promoters agreed the fests should not be held the same weekend, and I think Peter was not ready to commit to another ProgDay when first approached by Greg with the idea of a Labor Day weekend Progfest in CA.

The interesting thing I remember very clearly is that, while there was no hurricane, it rained quite a bit in the Raleigh/Durham/CH area Labor Day weekend that year, so ProgDay might have been moved indoors again, had it taken place that weekend.

Banned
    Got my patron pass, woo hoo

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Got my patron pass, woo hoo
    +1!

My ticket arrived yesterday. I'm there.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    My ticket arrived yesterday. I'm there.
    X2!!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Dear friends and fans of Sound of Contact!

Due to delays and complications from the US embassy in the UK, Simon Collins and key SOC personnel were unable to obtain work visas in time to perform with Sound of Contact in the upcoming YEStival in Camden, New Jersey this Saturday.

We also deeply regret to inform everyone that as of today, we must postpone our North American tour this August / September until Spring next year.

Logistical issues derived from VISA complications and low ticket sales in a few locations have impacted on our ability to effectively honor all dates at this time.

We sincerely apologize for the disappointment and potential inconvenience that this may cause.

Please know that we have every intention of re-grouping and re-scheduling as many of the dates as possible. We look forward to seeing you all next year!

Simon, Dave and Matt

http://www.soundofcontact.com/tour-dates/
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Bummer!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Banned
    X2!!