Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: This Heat - Deceit

chalkpie

This Heat - Deceit

This is a tasty little sucker, ain't it?

I'm curious as to how many people here have actually heard it at least once. So post if you know it (love or hate), and post if you've never heard it. For the folks who haven't experienced this band, I'm sure there must be posts up at YT to get an idea. But owning this gem is a must. You need to put your big ears on, but it's incredibly rewarding.

Last edited by chalkpie; 06-08-2013 at 02:30 AM.

Love it.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    The best TH album IMO.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

A masterwork
    The debut is also very good and the BBC performance kicks some serious ass
    Great band

Long time since I heard it - good reminder !

It was constantly spinning on my turntable those days.

The first album (or were there 2 before Deceit ?) was 'landmark'ish' but, is less coherent but has some excellent moments like "Testcard" and "24 track loop"

Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 06-08-2013 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    A masterwork
    The debut is also very good and the BBC performance kicks some serious ass
    Great band

Yup, those are the three to get, if you're into that stuff.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I discovered This Heat because of Quiet sun.
    Because of Deceit, I bought Charles Bullens Lifetones project and Haywards Camberwell now from ReR Wandsworth road, postorder - those were the days.
    Camberwell bored me, but Lifetones strange dub I like a lot.

One of those landmark discoveries for me, a band that went a long way towards shaping my tastes despite coming to their small discography long after they were done. When I first found them I had to content myself with downloads for many years because they were OOP and going for insane prices. The box set was much appreciated and amazing, even if the live album is much worse than some bootlegs floating around out there.

Camberwell Now is great too, as is Gareth Williams Flaming Tunes.

An absolute masterpiece, and one of the most intelligently powerful rock albums I ever heard. The sheer fury of a tune like "Makeshift Swahili" - disguised as a song from a partner to his astranged wife/girlfriend, but actually about the state of the UK working class under "mum" Thatcher - always puts me into rage. And was there ever a more sombre closing track than "A New Kind of Water"?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

This is the This Heat cd to get, if you're gonna get just one.A challenging listen,but worth the effort.

Glad to second the mention of Gareth Williams/Mary Currie's cd Flaming Tunes.Good music.
    Last edited by walt; 06-08-2013 at 06:50 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Wonderful. Long time fan here. A remarkable album.

It was my most listened to album for a few years in the early 80s. Such great music combined with such focused anger.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

After I received a lot of recommandations for this Album, I checked out some samples. I was so impressed that I bought the box set of the band at once.

Although I find all their stuff to be amazing, Deceit stands out for me.

One of those treasures that never fails to amaze me. Challenging, intelligent and powerfull, what could you ask more for?

Own it and love it. This Heat were a brilliant star that burned out way too soon.

Only have the first vinyl LP. Came by way of Quiet Sun also. Never knew until recent years that they had a following as an entity unto themselves.

f any TH fans in this thread still haven't checked out Camberwell Now (the follow-up band to TH), be sure to do so instantly. They were same, same but different. And damn good as well, IMO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Thought I had this on CD but I can't find it. Which one of you buggers took my copy? Anyway, I love the track "S.P.Q.R."

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    f any TH fans in this thread still haven't checked out Camberwell Now (the follow-up band to TH), be sure to do so instantly. They were same, same but different. And damn good as well, IMO.
    There is a great catch all CD called `All's Well' featuring their entire output, including the excellent `Green Fingers'. I lived in Camberwell at the time (it's a district of London) so it has fond memories.

Absolutely agreed with the Camberwell Now stuff. All's Well is the way to go, then Charles Hayward's solo albums Survive The Gesture and Abracadabra Information. From This Heat onwards Hayward's singular sound, approach and aesthetic are strong throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Ah, I've checked them out and liked what I heard a lot. I had been meaning to buy their albums (album?), but it/they were either OOP at the time or very $$$. Then I forget, but I should check again ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Beebfader View Post
    There is a great catch all CD called `All's Well' featuring their entire output, including the excellent `Green Fingers'. I lived in Camberwell at the time (it's a district of London) so it has fond memories.
    Nice, that's the one I checked out. Will purchase next week.

Have it. Love it.

Lov it. 'nother great one. Thanks Frankie.
    Last edited by adewolf; 06-09-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Great band and perfect example of why I find post-punk far more interesting than the initial wave of punk. Don't know if it's still in print, but the Out of Cold Storage box from a few years ago had all the This Heat albums in one easy box. It was welcomed since the originals albums were getting a bit scare and expensive. Wasn't Camberwall Now reissued in the past couple of years as well? Haven't tracked that down yet, thanks for the reminder.

chalkpie
    Great to see some love for this record. But honestly if only 23 people on this forum have ever heard it, then I'm as sad as a Perruum Vurrttah Vurrttah Hai Hai Ka hamataii Destuctiw bald eagle (it's a Kobaain Bald Eagle) from the Planet Gong. Where's Noseybony, Sean the King of this Lande, Kermanator, Blonde Slut, Red-Haired Prostitute, and Yessucksdonkeyass2654?