Thread: New Van der Graaf Generator related vinyl ...

New Van der Graaf Generator related vinyl ...

It's taken a while and some organising but I'm delighted to announce that we're releasing a couple of albums from founder members of Van der Graaf Generator over the coming months.

First out will be the brand-new "Zoot Suit" by Judge Smith - a member of Van der Graaf Generator back in 1968. It's a great album stacked with strong songs and great performances. As well as a whole bunch of minty-fresh songs there's a lovely version of "Been Alone So Long" which first appeared on the album "Nadir's Big Chance" by Peter Hammill. The album will be released as a numbered limited edition; 250 copies on heavyweight white vinyl.

The second release I'm announcing today is "Tonewall Stands" by David Jackson, who needs no introduction here! I bought this on CD when it was released in the early 90's and it's had regular outings on my Hi-Fi since then. There were only ever 500 copies made so it is long out of print. Chatting to David today he's certain that he can track down the original master tapes, so you can expect this to sound epic, but there's going to be a short delay before the album is released, while he tracks down those tapes ;-) ..... I'm happy to wait. Once again this will be limited to 250 numbered copies on heavyweight vinyl.

The Judge Smith album can be pre-ordered now from www.planegroovy.com and I'll put up the David Jackson album for pre-order as soon as we have decided on a release date.

Just a quick update on the vinyl release of "Zoot Suit;" I spent a lovely afternoon yesterday with Judge, listening to the test pressing of the album. it sounds magnificent which is actually a relief ....

...I asked the manufacturer to try to put the whole album onto vinyl as long as there was no degradation in sound quality, even though it is 48 minutes long and I was being told that 20 minutes a side was a "maximum" length. Turns out that this album fit perfectly well with no reduction in transcribed volume, so I'm really glad that I asked the question ;-) It was proving hard enough to choose two tracks to lose and in the end there was no need.

This has however delayed things somewhat, so I've now pressed the "go" button and release should be in early September. Also, we think we'll go for regular black vinyl on this one. Judge is going to sign 100 of them; those are up for grabs on a "first come first served" basis.

Meanwhile David is still trying to track down the original masters for "Tonewall Stands" but he's getting close to where they are buried :-)
    Last edited by PlaneGroovy; 08-09-2013 at 02:21 AM. Reason: punctuation!