Thread: Getting hooked on Marbin

Getting hooked on Marbin

thecrossovermusicchannel.com

aviewfromthemiddleclass.com

Me likey
    Quite good instrumental rock jamz. Not really fusion as the jazz element is not, obviously, there.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Saw them open for...Holdsworth?...a year or so ago at the Iron Horse here in 'Hamp and I was very impressed.

Yeah I saw them open for Holdsworth and get a standing ovation from a packed theater - and well deserved, I might add.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Saw them open for...Holdsworth
    So did I; saw them open for Henderson/Berlin/Clark as well. Good players! They had a funny quirk though, most of their tunes had really abrupt endings. But it's a small nitpick, I did enjoy their shows.

Quote Originally Posted by adewolf View Post
    Me likey
    Quite good instrumental rock jamz. Not really fusion as the jazz element is not, obviously, there.
    I don't know, Alex, to my ears on some of their older stuff they did with Wertico and Rodby it was quite jazzy. Like I said, to the point of nearly fooling me into thinking I was listening to some Metheny on Pandora before looking at what was actually playing. Definitely not straight fusion, but it's there at times.

Again, that's what makes it a bit tougher to describe. Which I like, a lot, music that defies pinning down to genres.
    thecrossovermusicchannel.com

aviewfromthemiddleclass.com

I've seen them twice. Once opening for Henderson/Berlin/Clark and once opening for Holdsworth. On both occasions I thought they were tremendous. I just wish their albums had the same power and energy of the live show. I don't own the new disc so perhaps that release corrects this nitpick of mine. But definitely count me as a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    I just wish their albums had the same power and energy of the live show.
    This is probably why they took a recording engineer with them on a recent tour. I'm pretty sure they plan on releasing a live CD.

I was just listening to Last Chapter of Dreaming yesterday. Never listened to them before, but I really liked the album a lot.

I saw them close for Holdsworth.

I must have arrived just after they opened, but after Allan & band played they came back out & did about 5 tunes. Was going to leave but their music pulled me in, stayed until the end. Bought a couple CDs from them, like others have said, they grab your ears harder live.

Quote Originally Posted by JSS View Post
    I saw them close for Holdsworth.

I must have arrived just after they opened, but after Allan & band played they came back out & did about 5 tunes. Was going to leave but their music pulled me in, stayed until the end. Bought a couple CDs from them, like others have said, they grab your ears harder live.
    Detroit? I saw them close for Holdsworth there.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Didn't really care for the samples of their latest I heard. I'll probably still pick it up at some point being I enjoyed the one before that a fair bit.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Detroit? I saw them close for Holdsworth there.
    I was at that Detroit show as well. The Jazz Café...

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    I was at that Detroit show as well. The Jazz Café...
    Yep. Did they play before Allan did?