Thread: Preview of new solo album from Aldo Tagliapietra: L'Angelo rinchiuso

Preview of new solo album from Aldo Tagliapietra: L'Angelo rinchiuso

Here's my mini-review of the preview of Aldo's new album. If you want to listen, come find me on Facebook; I can't share the video here 'cause it's not on YouTube.

-----------

Several months ago, in February, Aldo Tagliapietra was telling me about his new solo album, the suite “L’Angelo rinchiuso” (loosely translated, “The Captive Angel”), due be released any day now (in June). He said it’s "the best thing he’s ever written" (“la più bella cosa che ho mai scritto”). I have to admit that even I, a devoted fan and friend of Aldo, was a little skeptical.

After all, how could he possibly create something “più bella” (more beautiful) than “Felona e Sorona,” the classic of 1970s Italian progressive rock from Le Orme, Aldo’s band of many decades? Or “Il Fiume” from the progressive renaissance of Le Orme in the ‘90s? Or even – my personal favorite of all Aldo’s albums – “Il Viaggio,” the sitar-laden story of his journey to India?

“How you gonna top that, Aldo?” I thought. And perhaps I was a little apprehensive that he would be so audacious as to even claim a superlative from his long and inspired career. A bold statement, to say the least.

So imagine my relief last night, when I heard the absolute first “anteprima” (preview) of the title track of “L’Angelo rinchiuso” played on Italian radio, and I could begin to understand why he would say it’s the best thing he’s ever written. Even from a tiny glimpse, I could tell this is the work of a mature artist, profound and poignant:

“Nel autunno dei miei giorni, nel tramonto dei miei sogni …”

“In the autumn of my days, in the sunset of my dreams …”

… set to a fast-paced rhythm over a backdrop of gentle strings. Now I’m eager to hear the rest of the story. Have a listen.

After all, how many of the prog giants now pushing 70 could even begin to claim that their latest work is “the best thing they’ve ever written”? That in itself is a miracle, and a joy to celebrate, in awaiting Aldo’s new album.

aha! here's the video:

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed...59735884043046

does that work? music begins around :54 after announcer introduces the album and the band.

Hey, this guy is pretty good. I'll have to check him out .

Seriously, this is pretty impressive, and the photo montage blew me away!

Grazie

Stefano
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

that (the photo-montage) is from Raffaele, one of my buddies that we met for pizza in Spinea with Aldo, from the "Amici di Ieri" - the Aldo fan club on Facebook.
    Last edited by laurainspace; 06-06-2013 at 11:54 PM.