Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Rory Gallagher albums

Ahhh! Rory. One day a journalist asked Jimi Hendrix 'How does it feel to be the greatest guitar player?' Jimi said 'I don't know, ask Rory Gallagher'.
    The problem with R.G is that most of his albums are odd. But there are good songs on every albums. But the two first (R.G and Deuce), Irish Tour and Calling Card are the Best. I like Stage Struck for the heavy guitar playing. Different. Hard and fast.
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Quote Originally Posted by Musitron View Post
    Ahhh! One day a journalist asked Jimi Hendrix 'How does it feel to be the greatest guitar player?' Jimi said 'I don't know, ask Rory Gallagher'.
    Terry Kath?
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Terry Kath?
    Billy Gibbons?

Phil Keaggy?

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Taste ~ s/t
    Taste ~ On The Boards
    s/t
    Deuce
    Absolutely.Taste was a great band.They were bit on jazz as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Musitron View Post
    The problem with R.G is that most of his albums are odd.
    this whole statement does not compute - you see the thing with RG there is no problem, it's all good.
    what might be considered a bad RG song is still better than most others best songs (bonamassa, kenny wayne shepperd).

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    this whole statement does not compute - you see the thing with RG there is no problem, it's all good.
    what might be considered a bad RG song is still better than most others best songs (bonamassa, kenny wayne shepperd).
    Indeed.I haven-t yet heard even decent Rory album.

I think Rory Gallagher was an amazing guitar player, one of the best. However, he isn't nearly as well known or regarded as his peers because songwriting wasn't one of his strengths. Yes, he wrote some good tunes and great riffs, but his original material doesn't really stand out. Therefore, I would suggest a 2 cd compilation called Big Guns.

However, if you want to avoid a compilation and go straight to an album, I would recommend Tattoo.

Well I love a fair number of RG songs to collect all his studio albums

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Well I love a fair number of RG songs to collect all his studio albums
    Do you like this one ?
    Rory Gallagher - I'm Not Awake Yet

Fantastic tune!!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    I think Rory Gallagher was an amazing guitar player, one of the best. However, he isn't nearly as well known or regarded as his peers because songwriting wasn't one of his strengths. Yes, he wrote some good tunes and great riffs, but his original material doesn't really stand out. Therefore, I would suggest a 2 cd compilation called Big Guns.
    Which is why I recommended Taste's On The Boards...great playing but also some of his absolutely best writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    Do you like this one ?
    Rory Gallagher - I'm Not Awake Yet
    Yes, this is one of my favorites of him. I love the whole Deuce album. The first RG record I bought was Calling Card, and after hearing it, I decided to have more of Rory. And it took me about three weeks to get almost all his stuff.