Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dream Theater - Dream Theater

Dream Theater - Dream Theater

It's a Dream Theater thread! Run! Hide the children!!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Roadrunner Records has announced the eagerly anticipated new album from the legendary Dream Theater. “DREAM THEATER” – the first self-titled collection in the GRAMMY®-nominated band’s nearly three decade career – arrives at last on September 24th.

“DREAM THEATER” was recorded at Cove City Sound Studios in Glen Cove, New York, with founding guitarist John Petrucci producing and studio luminary Richard Chycki (Aerosmith, Rush) engineering and mixing. The album marks a brilliant new chapter for the always adventurous band, their first to have been written and recorded with drummer Mike Mangini wholly integrated into the creative process from the start.

“I see every new album as an opportunity to start over,” says Petrucci. “To either build or improve upon a direction that has been evolving over time or to completely break new ground. This is the first self-titled album of our career and there is nothing I can think of that makes a statement of musical and creative identity stronger than that. We’ve fully explored all of the elements that make us unique, from the epic and intense to the atmospheric and cinematic. We’re incredibly excited about ‘DREAM THEATER’ and can’t wait for everyone to hear it.”

“DREAM THEATER” will be available in a wide range of distinctive versions, including standard and special edition CDs, 180 Gram Vinyl Double LP, and a Limited Edition Box Set. Pre-orders are scheduled to get underway sometime in July at the Roadrunner Records Webstore.

“DREAM THEATER” follows 2011’s acclaimed “A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS.” That album – highlighted by “On The Backs Of Angels,” which earned the iconic band its first ever GRAMMY® Award nomination (in the “Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance” category) – proved one of Dream Theater’s most successful, making top 10 chart debuts in 14 countries, including our own Billboard 200. “A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS” was hailed for its ambition, complexity, and sheer melodic power, with Japan’s influential BURRN! naming it as the year’s “Best Album.”

Furthermore, the special edition CD/DVD set of “A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS” included “The Spirit Carries On” – a 60-minute movie documenting Dream Theater’s drummer auditions, which resulted in the addition of the gifted Mangini. The challenge spurred Dream Theater to extraordinary artistic heights on “A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS” and the epic world tour that followed. Long known as one of hard rock’s most powerful live acts, the recalibrated band hit the road hard in celebration of the acclaimed album, a 15-month trek which saw sold out headline shows in 35 countries across North America, Europe, Asia, Central America, and South America.

With total sales exceeding 10 million albums and DVDs worldwide, Dream Theater have long stood among the upper echelon of hard rock giants. Albums such as 1992’s RIAA gold-certified classic “IMAGES & WORDS” (featuring the breakthrough top 10 single, “Pull Me Under”) have earned the Long Island-based band countless accolades for their visionary synthesis of melodic power and virtuosic experimentation, including being named as one of Rolling Stone’s top 10 “Best Prog Rock Bands of All time.”

Since uniting with Roadrunner in 2007, Dream Theater has unleashed a series of remarkable albums, each work revealing stunning new musical facets and creative avenues. 2009’s “BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS” proved a milestone, debuting at #6 on the Billboard 200 – the band’s highest album chart debut to date.

Dream Theater will tour in support of “DREAM THEATER” – full details will be announced soon. For up-to-the-minute news and information, please visit www.dreamtheater.net/tourdates.

Dream Theater is: John Petrucci (guitar), John Myung (bass), James LaBrie (vocals), Jordan Rudess (keyboards and continuum) and Mike Mangini (drums).

For additional news and information, please visit www.dreamtheater.net, www.facebook.com/dreamtheaterofficial, www.twitter.com/dreamtheaternet www.myspace.com/dreamtheater, www.youtube.com/dreamtheater, and www.roadrunnerrecords.com.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Have there been any teaser tracks released?
    Prog Rocket – An Exploration of Progressive Rock Music

This is going to sound petty and minor, but I really don't like it when an established band decides to release an eponymous album. It always reeks to me of "we couldn't be bothered." Fans end up calling it something different anyway... Metallica's "Black Album," Spock's Beard's "SB9", etc... because to do otherwise invites confusion.

Abbott: Have you heard Dream Theater?
    Costello: Oh, yeah, I love their albums!
    Abbott: No, I mean their album Dream Theater!
    Costello: Ain't that what I said? I love their albums!

I feel the same way, Thomas.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Always look forward to new music from DT but dissapointed the live DVD has been put back until November.It was supposed to have already been released & believe it was also up as a pre-order on Amazon !
    The title of the new album dosn't bother me as its the music that matters. Wasn't PG's first four albums just self titled?. Genesis released a self titled album about eight albums into their career so don't see it as an issue.

Due to extenuating circumstances, the release date for Live At Luna Park has been pushed back from its originally scheduled Spring release. In an effort to make this project as special as possible, and deliver the ultimate live experience for Dream Theater fans, these delays proved necessary. It will be abundantly clear why the extra time was needed come November.
    Last edited by Rufus; 06-06-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    This is going to sound petty and minor, but I really don't like it when an established band decides to release an eponymous album. It always reeks to me of "we couldn't be bothered." Fans end up calling it something different anyway... Metallica's "Black Album," Spock's Beard's "SB9", etc... because to do otherwise invites confusion.

Abbott: Have you heard Dream Theater?
    Costello: Oh, yeah, I love their albums!
    Abbott: No, I mean their album Dream Theater!
    Costello: Ain't that what I said? I love their albums!
    Even more confusing is when there is also a song title of the same name on a self-titled album, like Black Sabbath or Bad Company.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    They are getting creative now with names.

Admittedly, the past couple have been terribly cheesy...but still...
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

The name of an album is irrelevant. And I kind of like the idea that after all these years they finally go the self titled route. It's not such a rare thing for a veteran band, as we saw it not too long ago with Echolyn. Did the lack of an album title diminish that album? Like most, I call it the "window pane" album. How about the first 3 from Peter Gabriel? Tell someone here the "melted face" album and they already know you are talking about Peter Gabriel, and what songs are on it.

As to DT and the new album, I'm pretty psyched for this one, much more than last time. I had been worried what the change of drummers would mean. I really liked the album and have no real issues with the drumming, but still feel Mangini's identity is missing, he pretty much played what he thought the band expected of him. This time he's fully integrated into the band, and after a very successful tour with the new guy, I think they are likely a very confident band at this stage of their career. OK, they have NEVER lacked confidence, but now they don't seem at all worried about the split with Portnoy, that seems to be old news. I don't expect a major sound shift on this album, after all, it is DT, they have their own splace in the music universe, and do quite well there. But we will notice a difference in that this time, they have nothing to prove. They have done that already. I don't want to wish away the summer, but I can't wait till 9/24!

Bad mastering ruined the last one, which happens all to often with new metal albums.

When will Petrucci learn to just play and not produce...Yikes.....

Don't forget Genesis - Genesis.

It was even worse when Jimmy Eat World had to do it with their "Bleed American" album, which had the unfortunate fate of being release shortly before 9/11, and the powers that be subsequently decided it would be more "sensitive" to rename it. Problem is, they already had a self-titled album a few years prior! Of course, that didn't stop Peter Gabriel when he started his solo career, but ... yeah.
    flute juice

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    The name of an album is irrelevant. And I kind of like the idea that after all these years they finally go the self titled route. It's not such a rare thing for a veteran band, as we saw it not too long ago with Echolyn. Did the lack of an album title diminish that album? Like most, I call it the "window pane" album. How about the first 3 from Peter Gabriel? Tell someone here the "melted face" album and they already know you are talking about Peter Gabriel, and what songs are on it.
    Of course it has nothing to do with the enjoyment of the music - it's just lazy.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

As to DT and the new album, I'm pretty psyched for this one, much more than last time. I had been worried what the change of drummers would mean. I really liked the album and have no real issues with the drumming, but still feel Mangini's identity is missing, he pretty much played what ...
    ...Petrucci programmed for him.

It would be cooler if they named the album after one of Portnoy's new bands.... "WINERY DOGS" the new album by DREAM THEATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    It would be cooler if they named the album after one of Portnoy's new bands.... "WINERY DOGS" the new album by DREAM THEATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Of course it has nothing to do with the enjoyment of the music - it's just lazy.
    Exactly. And I totally disagree that it's irrelevant. Unless it's your first album (Rush, Yes, Art in America) where you're introducing yourself, saying "Hey, this is us, this is who we are," it always feels like "We don't have a theme for these songs. We don't care to put one in. It's an album. Buy it." This absolutely was the case with a disintegrating Beatles in 1968, and now bands do it because the "White Album" has developed this "coolness" mystique. I mean, I'll almost guarantee that the cover will be just "Dream Theater" and the Majesty Logo. Maybe done up all pretty with cool effects, but still, no real thought to the artwork, because, you know, why bother? No title. No theme. The end.

Thus, with the lack of care in coming up with the title, you get the feeling that the songs themselves are just "whatever we came up with. It's an album. Buy it." It just feels like less thought was put into it.

I'll get this, as I said before, but I'm less confident that it'll be any better than "Dramatic Turn." A decent, workmanlike prog metal album is all I ever expect any more.

Oh, and Peter Gabriel was weird, and I still shake my head at why he thought that was a good idea in the seventies.

But does ANYone look carefully at titles, cover art, lyrics, carefully hidden concepts anymore? I found out from Sid Smith's book all the conceptual artistic detail that went into the design of the Thrak album and I was sorry to have not caught it on my own. My own band's cover art on our last two are VERY inspired by the musical themes and lyrics, and though our artist ManintheMountain Martin will tell you it's coincidental, I see as clear as day a HUGE evolution of thematic material from the cover of MELD and the bleak cold art for A BLUEPRINT FOR CHAOS. Oh well - it's enough that WE can enjoy it - I'm just glad so many of you had the interest and attention span for the 28 minute opener.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Thus, with the lack of care in coming up with the title, you get the feeling that the songs themselves are just "whatever we came up with. It's an album. Buy it." It just feels like less thought was put into it.

I'll get this, as I said before, but I'm less confident that it'll be any better than "Dramatic Turn." A decent, workmanlike prog metal album is all I ever expect any more.
    Who knows? Maybe they didn't want to "waste time" on figuring out a title so they could devote more time on creating songs that will blow away anything they have done in the past?

Is an album title really that important? I wouldn't care if the album was called "Monkeys' Balls" as long as the songs were great.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    I wouldn't care if the album was called "Monkeys' Balls" as long as the songs were great.
    I would buy the album based on that title alone.

Tell someone here the "melted face" album and they already know you are talking about Peter Gabriel, and what songs are on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    "Monkeys' Balls"
    I think we have our own unofficial title now. "Remember when Dream Theater released Monkeys' Balls, and everyone on PE complained about the eponymous title?"
    Buster

"tonal poems of an aesthetic value, not intended for dancing, sexual stimulation, or selling sneakers" - Stuart Mutner

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I was thinking "WINERY MORSE ADRENALINE COLORS."

Name of the album doesn't bother me in the slightest - they've never had a self-titled album so why not? I really doubt it's a "couldn't be bothered" scenario. They could be bothered to write, rehearse, record, produce, mix and master the album....

I hope it's much, much better than A Dramatic Turn Of Events. I liked that when it came out but it has proven to have the least staying power with me - by far. Some good moments, but I prefer everything else they've ever done, at least since Images And Words. Crossing my fingers that the endless soloing takes a bit of a back seat to something like, you know, melodies and songwriting. Things that they happen to do very very well - when they choose to.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I don't give a rat's ass what they call it, but I hope it's as good as the last one, which I liked better than the the previous few.

All this talk of album titles and what they mean just reminds me of Shark Sandwich and Smell the Glove. "None, none more black."

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Bad mastering ruined the last one, which happens all to often with new metal albums.
    What was wrong with the mastering? I admit, I'm no audiophile, it sounds fine to my ears.