Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Dream Theater - Dream Theater

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    VT or DT self-titled? I'm not going to complain about Vapor Trails anymore, that's for certain.
    Yeah, me neither. I just got my copy of VT and listened to it - like its a TOTALLY different album. When I first heard the original a few months back, it sounded so dead. Amazing what a good mix can do to fix songs. Wow! - I really like this album now, when before it was just necessary to have to complete my collection.

The new DT album is nowhere near production wise as bad as VT was. On some of my systems (in the car in particular) it just doesn't sound very good. Where I have access to clean it up a bit - like in my studio, its sounds a LOT better. I noticed in their studio that they were using KRK's (though I'm not sure if what I saw was for this album or the last one) and I have a set of those as well, and through them it sounds good. I don't hear that improvement on my Yamaha "Mock" NS-10's or in either of my vehicles.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    How is that Live at Luna Park Blu-Ray? I somehow think I missed hearing anything about this release.

Won't be out 'til November...we'll let you know then
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Oops, thought it was released earlier this year or something...

It's been on my car CD player for a couple of days now & it's the best DT album since Six Degrees . Defineatly has a Rush vibe to it !

I was wondering how long it would take to get back to Dream Theater?

So I may have been a little dismissive of this album when it came out last year, and that's unfortunate. I've grown to love it, for mainly two reasons:

1) John Myung's bass is audibly on fire, and that makes all the difference.

2) "Illumination Theory" may be the best thing they've done since "Octavarium." There's some usual DT tricks in there, but it's surrounded by some sweet stuff as well. I love the cinematic orchestral insert in the middle, as well as the casual, laid back piano finale.

Except for a few retreads like "The Enemy Inside" (and "The False Awakening Suite" comes straight out of a video game) the songs really do stretch out into new territory for DT. It's easy to say they're trying to sound like Rush this time, but the little homages actually serve to enhance their sound.

After the serious misfires of Portnoy's last two albums with the band, and the underwhelming post-Portnoy "Dramatic Turn of Events," I'd just about given up on this band altogether, and the new album seemed to be more of the same. I take it all back. If they expand themselves even further on their next album after this one, they might just get back on track.

EDIT: I looked at my past post and I see I wasn't dismissive of it. I just let the album slide in my iPod until recently, that's all.
    Last edited by ThomasKDye; 06-07-2014 at 12:22 AM.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I haven't listened to it as a whole for a while. There are some songs on it which are good and even some separate passages on others are passable but I don't think that this record is great/awesome or smth like that.
    It, like most of DT's albums, just lacks that something bit that would make them very good. If Rudess would play like he does on Rudess/Morgenstein or Feeding The Wheel, that would be such a difference. But here he shows only brief flashes of that and that's not enough. I understand that this is a different environment but that does not make such a big difference. It does not surprise me that they have had three different keys players. Is there any other position in the band which has had a different person more times? I think the problem is how they accomodate the keyboard players and/or keyboard sounds in general, not the actual person who plays the instrument.