Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paul McCartney in Concert

Paul McCartney in Concert

Paul McCartney came through St Louis last night, the wife and i are life long Beatle fanatics and there was no way we were going to pass this up. this is the first time either of us had the chance to see a proper Beatle in concert (i got to see the Pete Best band a few years back, even got to do the meet'n'greet afterwards - seeing the poor guy sipping on Bud Lite provided by the bar was kind of a sad experience really but i digress...).
    last night's show was simply amazing, Paul's band is a very finely tuned machine chugging on all cylinders, Sir Paul at 70 yrs can out-rock guys 1/3rd his age, voice in fine shape and able to go almost 3 full hours intermission-free.
    the setlist had almost 40 songs, very nice mixture covering the whole spectrum of Paul's career.

fan-freakin'-tastic i say!

Sure enough, my 1st time seeing Paul live (Flowers In the Dirt tour) was nothing short of magical for me. I was just yards away from a Beatle. (& my favorite one, at that)
    As he did at your show, he was fantastic. Had the whole crowd in the palm of his hand. Funny, lively, & of course all that music. I'll never forget it.

I saw him a few years ago and felt exactly the same way. Worth every cent, and you really did get a LOT of music for the money too!

I think his voice is suffering, but hell, the dude is 70! Haven't seen him since the tour that produced "Wings Over America". I think that's the first tour I saw utilizing lasers! Quite the aural and visual spectacle!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I think his voice is suffering, but hell, the dude is 70!
    i can tell you based on the show i saw last sunday his voice was pretty much right on the money (a very potent delivery on Helter Skelter and Live and Let Die among others), and i'm very critical of that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    i can tell you based on the show i saw last sunday his voice was pretty much right on the money (a very potent delivery on Helter Skelter and Live and Let Die among others), and i'm very critical of that sort of thing.
    High volume usually helps mask the shortcomings. That being said, he ain't 25 anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    High volume usually helps mask the shortcomings. That being said, he ain't 25 anymore.
    i don't entirely agree, i've seen way more Jethro Tull concerts than i care to admit and the volume did not help Ian whatsoever.
    as they say, you can't polish a turd.

Saw him in 2011 at Yankee Stadium and he and his band killed. He was a youthful 69 y/o!

Caught Paul in concert back in 1990 and 93. The 90 show was especially memorable, as I had 10th row seats right in the center, at Giants Stadium. Couldn't ask for better seats, and the show was phenominal. I thought the 93 tour was a better setlist, but the earlier show a better perfomance. Plus, there was the whole shock of seeing one of my favorite music icons, someone I never expected to see perform. I know some say he still sounds good, but the live clips I've seen from recent shows, his voice is really rough these days. For someone known for a clear, pretty tone, I'm not sure this is a good thing. For the rockers of his, his voice now would be fine, its the rest of the catalog I'm worried about. I guess I'm satisfied having seen him, and at 100% of his abilities. It's cool that he still tours and can attract huge crowds. I just don't have the interest at this point. Still spin his muisc though, solo, wings and Beatles of course. I had a recent reawakening to the "Ram" album the past year or two, kind of a forgotten classic for me.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    i don't entirely agree, i've seen way more Jethro Tull concerts than i care to admit and the volume did not help Ian whatsoever.
    as they say, you can't polish a turd.
    I've recorded plenty of shows that sounded worse with a second listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I think his voice is suffering
    Agreed. I caught him in '89 (or '90, I can't quite recall) and he sounded good, but the half-a-dozen times I've seen him on television over the last few years he's sounded increasingly decrepit....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Anybody got a set list? Curious to see what he's playing this time around. Is he still playing Let Me Roll It? He's done it every tour since 1976. Time for that one to be retired.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Hey Rich - Rhea and I were at the show too. I can't agree with you more... fantastic! So many different types of music were represented, and they were all done so well! Helter Skelter reminded me of something that Led Zeppelin could have done. Golden Slumber (and the following songs) really sounded prog-ish. Of course there were also the totally pop and totally rock numbers. What an amazing body of work he has.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    Anybody got a set list? Curious to see what he's playing this time around. Is he still playing Let Me Roll It? He's done it every tour since 1976. Time for that one to be retired.

Bill
    I agree. That was one of my least favorite songs of the show. Reviews and full set lists can be found here:

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/rft...os_setlist.php
    http://www.stltoday.com/entertainmen...9778d5be4.html

Paul ROCKS.
    There is no such thing as a stupid question. There are, however, a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    Helter Skelter reminded me of something that Led Zeppelin could have stolen.
    Corrected for accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post

Bill
    I'm not so sure about that, I don't believe he played that in 1990, at least at Giants Stadium. I recall being surprised to hear it on the 93 tour. He had played less Wings material on the 90 tour, I I was pleasantly surprised to hear Let Me Roll It the second show I saw. I happen to think its a great tune.

Banned
    what the fuck - Paul is touring now?????

A very limited tour: 2 dates in the US followed by 3 dates in Canada

Banned
    Wow, that is limited. whew - i would've kicked myself real hard if I missed him in PA or NJ area.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomview View Post
    ^Ram is a personal favorite of mine.
    me too!
    i hold Ram in the same regard as a Beatles album (with Chaos and Creation being just a small notch below)

sadly he didn't cover anything from either of those two, that's ok, i'm still happy with what we got.

here's a question for the experts out there - Paul has been touring with the same band for well over 10 years, is this the most consistant lineup he's had?

i hold Ram in the same regard as a Beatles album
    I have been trying for 30 years to like Ram, but just don't care for much beyond "Too Many People" and "Uncle ALbert." Sure, it has a certain charm that some might find endearing, but I just don't think the material is very strong. Certainly, I would never put it up there with any Beatles album.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    I'm not so sure about that, I don't believe he played that in 1990, at least at Giants Stadium. I recall being surprised to hear it on the 93 tour. He had played less Wings material on the 90 tour, I I was pleasantly surprised to hear Let Me Roll It the second show I saw. I happen to think its a great tune.
    You are correct. I did a little digging and he did not play Let Me Roll It on that tour. I would have sworn he did. Every tour since 1990 is probably what I was thinking. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a great song, just wish he would shake up the set list a bit. There are a couple of war horses that need a rest.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

For those of you on Dimeadozen, this show has been uploaded there:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=428400

I haven't listened to it, so I don't know what the quality is like. The uploader has some mp3 samples on that web page.