Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Adrian Belew album

thought I would resurrect this to ask if people have had a chance to try it out and how it is. i was a backer but i still haven't downloaded it cause i keep forgetting to when i am home with WiFi.

i did receive the twenty track cd signed by Adrian. it is numbered out of 173 but i can't imagine there not being some more out there and maybe it being produced for wider release sometime. here is the track list if you are interested.

big blue sun
    men in helicopters
    burned by the fire we make
    i remember how to forget
    here
    looking for a ufo
    I am what I am (not listed on the cd confusingly)
    people (a solo version)
    on
    bad days
    this is what i believe in
    man in the moon remix (it is only 2:12 not sure where it is from or if it is exclusive here)
    young lions
    Vy (is listed next but doesn't seem to be here swapped for i am what i am at the last minute?)
    house of cards remix (runs 3:31)
    time waits
    birds
    one of those days
    fly
    postcard

enjoyable cd. still have not received my exclusive download from flux whatever that means anyone know? there was some space left on the cd would have been nice as a bonus track.

^
    Interesting that most (maybe all for all I know) of those tunes are from earlier AB albums. A bunch of them are from his album, "Here."

ya i wish there was some notes about song selection or even just what album they are all from. I don't have his entire catalogue so it is a nice comp for me as i mainly have the early albums on vinyl.

i was trying to figure out what the track Vy was but can't seem to find it anywhere(anyone know what it is?). now i am sad it isn't on this cd if it was something never released before.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    i was trying to figure out what the track Vy was but can't seem to find it anywhere(anyone know what it is?).
    He did say he was going to keep continually adding bits and peices to the Flux library. It could be all new.

we got our exclusive download from flux the other day. it is a sort of spiritual successor to prozak blues a crazy little song about food. good fun, and evidently will not be put into flux completely. he also mentioned if the song was too ludicrous we could ask for one more song i figured i would ask despite enjoying the song and was given rocketship which is a nice song that you can hear on flux.

while i had them on the email i also asked about the track Vy and was told this:
    It doesn't exist. I have no clue how that got on there (or why someone didn't catch it). I'm guessing it was an intern labeling error (always blame the intern) and it just slipped by Adrian(?). No clue, really. Needless to say, the next run of those will have that issue fixed!

so that seems to imply there will be copies for general purchase someday.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post

so that seems to imply there will be copies for general purchase someday.
    Meaning the tracks from Flux? Or are you still talking about the best of whose tracklist is posted above?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

thats in relation the the best of. sounds like it will be released with the correct tracklisting on it.

Rats. I guess should download Flux already. Again, it's a cool concept; I'm just not sure how much use I'll get from it.

i finally downloaded the app it is pretty fun and the ability to favorite tracks means you can pull out your favorites and hear them when you want (in the app) so it doesnt have to be random.

It probably shouldn't be called Flux then. Perhaps, 'Static'?
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Only as Fluxed-up as you want.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Sounds like a lot of work.
    The Prog Corner

Since he announced and showed us at TOAPP camp i still haven't heard ANYTHING from FLUX...if this is any basis for it, not sure it's for me.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    The first half sounds kinda like Adrian doing Tom Waits, but without the raspy vocals. The second half sounds kinda like a rewrite of "Dinosaur."

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    The first half sounds kinda like Adrian doing Tom Waits, but without the raspy vocals. The second half sounds kinda like a rewrite of "Dinosaur."
    Only vocally? Otherwise my problem is it's just not very interesting to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    It made me think of Robbie Robertson on the spoken word part.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I like it a lot! Reminds me of all the best parts of his solo music. Good stuff!!
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

fun tune!

but... is it gonna be different next time I play it?
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 07-20-2015 at 04:24 AM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

that new song and some others totaling 28 minutes apparently (including a portion of the exclusive kickstarter tune I mentioned earlier) are available to be added to the flux app now. I did it and have been enjoying the somewhat more random experience (I actually found the original app got a little static after a few tries with certain songs coming up too often). though I am a bit annoyed my favorites were reset and I have not stumbled across my favorite song yet to add it to my favorites again hope it wasn't removed for some reason.