Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Annoying Rock Star behavior article

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I'll add Stuart Hamm to that list.
    Is he still around? For a while there, he was the hottest guy on the scene, but I haven't heard anything about him for a while...
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Some of these "annoying behaviors" are beyond absurd:

2. Exclude key band members

As if there is never any good reasons to get rid of them besides money? What about when the member loses their chops and can't cut it any more? He mentions Bill Ward. This guy would be the first guy complaining if he sees Sabbath and Ward can't deliver the goods.

And I think ultimately "personalityconflicts" ie. love/hate relationships within a group create just as many issues to a band's music as money does.

3. Play too much from the new album

Unless the album becomes a classic, which makes that concert a lifetime memory and creates impressive bragging rights for all time: "Oh I saw "Lamb" live before anyone else even heard it."

9. Solo

So much wrong with his argument here. Not worth the typing time, and I am sure pretty much most of us here want to hear virtuoso solos by more then just the few Peart, Baker and "Clapton" level talents. (EC today is not at that level any more in my book.)

Besides all that, I can sum up the entire universe of Annoying Rock Star Behaviors in just two words:

Sammy Hagar
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Annoying Rock Critic Behaviors:

1) Open mouth
    2) Write words

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Annoying Rock Critic Behaviors:

1) Open mouth
    2) Write words

Stupid "article" but a fun, momentary diversion, nothing more.

As for playing brand-new material in a live setting, Heliopolis has played three (next month, four) gigs with no album having been released. I love doing stuff like this because it's a fantastic way to gauge your material based on how the audience responds. It's a challenge I relish because there are few things more gratifying than winning over a crowd with music no one has heard before.

I used to catch flak from certain ex-band mates about friends posting YouTube clips of unreleased new songs; "You're spoiling the surprise!" or "But the song isn't even finished yet!" were the typical whines. Instead, I saw it as a way to attempt generating a buzz about the forthcoming album, you know? It's just music, if you're afraid of people seeing videos of new material, then don't play live gigs; otherwise, embrace it the way Phish or Umphrey's McGee or The Grateful Dead did. Utilize the stuff!

Besides, it's not like the studio versions are going to sound anything like the live performances; there will be plenty of stuff to dig into on the album, stuff a band could only pull off in the controlled confines of the recording studio.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Besides all that, I can sum up the entire universe of Annoying Rock Star Behaviors in just two words:

Axl Rose
    Corrected for accuracy.

Nah, my accuracy is just fine. Axl sucks, but Sammy has perfected a vast repertoire of annoyingly pathetic rock star clichés.

Banned
    Sammy has perfected a vast repertoire of annoyingly pathetic rock star clichés.
    Hell, he invented most of 'em!

I'll take Sammy's cliches over Axl's any day of the week.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

It's just a little tongue-in-cheek filler article in a magazine that has a lot of filler.

, but Sammy has perfected a vast repertoire of annoyingly pathetic rock star clichés.
    Like what?

Heh. I stand by it. RS did exactly three worthwhile things in their history that I know of: [...] So kudos for that, but none of that even involves music...
    Well, they did champion some pretty darn good Bay Area acts during the early days. That ought to count for something,
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

John Fogerty's newest album has renewed versions of Creedence songs on them with guest stars.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Like what?
    A rhetorical question of course. Because if you don't already know, I can't help...

I saw Sammy on the 5150 tour and his onstage behavior- well, I should say his between song banter- was extremely douchey. It's sort of hard to describe though; you sort of had to be there. Sort of macho yelling self-absorbed cussing obliviousness, and not in a cool way like Dave used to pull off. Think Ted Nugent in the 70s. But Sammy off stage, or as a person, I have no idea- as far as I can tell he's a nice guy.

Banned
    Some folks just don't like Sammy, but they don't really know why. If Sammy is rock star clich'e it's because he's a fucking ROCK STAR, unlike Axl Rose, who is just a plain ANNOYING clich'e.

Sammy's not a dick. He doesn't shit on his fans or his bandmates. He shows up for a gig and gives you your money's worth. He doesn't dress like a fool and strut around like a diva. He plays rock and roll. What's the problem?

Think Ted Nugent in the 70's? A guy in a bunny suit jumping off stacks of Marshalls? That's not Sammy, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    He shows up for a gig and gives you your money's worth.
    That is totally true. He is a consummate pro.
    He doesn't dress like a fool and strut around like a diva.
    Yeah, you lost me there

I saw Sammy on the 5150 tour and his onstage behavior- well, I should say his between song banter- was extremely douchey. It's sort of hard to describe though; you sort of had to be there. Sort of macho yelling self-absorbed cussing obliviousness, and not in a cool way like Dave used to pull off. Think Ted Nugent in the 70s. But Sammy off stage, or as a person, I have no idea- as far as I can tell he's a nice guy.
    Well, an obnoxious onstage persona can be "annoying", but not in the same way as some of the stuff in this article. I think if there's anyone associated with Van Halen who is annoying, it's Eddie and Alex themselves. First they fired Sammy because he wanted to take a little time off when his wife got pregnant. Then they fired Michael because he went on the road with Sammy while Van Halen was on hiatus.

Jefferson James
    Sammy always refers to himself in the third person (aka illeism), such as "Sammy says the new Van Halen album rocks!" or "Sammy loves playing for all you red rockers!"

I saw a televised Sammy concert recently and during a guitar solo Sammy made a minor clam, I heard it and saw him grimace but it wasn't any big trainwreck, he just slid-up to a wrong note, then corrected it. I could tell it bugged him; after the song, he said "Sorry about that" to the crowd. I found that touching for some reason.

No shame in my game, I love Sammy's voice and he's written some bone-headed-ly good stuff. "Trans Am, highway wonderland!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Well, they did champion some pretty darn good Bay Area acts during the early days. That ought to count for something,
    They also wrote about Tangerine Dream (reporting on the infamous Reims Cathedral concert) when most Americans had never heard of them...wait a minute, most Americans still have never heard of Tangerine Dream (even if a lot of them had heard their music, via their soundtrack work). And even in the early 90's, I remember them having little blurbs about the Can reissues and Djam Karet.

And one of their writers had the guts to call out EMI for issuing the Crazy Diamond Syd Barrett boxset, suggesting that it should have been called Crazy Zircon.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Sammy's not a dick. He doesn't shit on his fans or his bandmates. He shows up for a gig and gives you your money's worth. He doesn't dress like a fool and strut around like a diva. He plays rock and roll. What's the problem?
    This is true. I went to a local venue once to buy tickets to a future concert (not Sammy). Sammy Hagar was playing the night of the day I was there. People were in line waiting, hours before the show was to begin. They were having fun and were friendly. They didn't mind waiting to get in early. This does not happen if the artist is a dick.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I saw Sammy on the 5150 tour and his onstage behavior- well, I should say his between song banter- was extremely douchey. It's sort of hard to describe though; you sort of had to be there. Sort of macho yelling self-absorbed cussing obliviousness, and not in a cool way like Dave used to pull off.
    I swear, I feel like an alien or something. I never found Sammy to be self-absorbed at all, while Dave just seems like a total tool to me. Completely self-absorbed, and just a moron. I don't get what I'm missing here...

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Sammy's not a dick. He doesn't shit on his fans or his bandmates. He shows up for a gig and gives you your money's worth.
    Exactly how I feel. He's always come across as caring about his fans, wanting to put on a good show, completely professional. I think he gets a little "out there" sometimes, but if we held that against musicians, there'd be none left.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Sammy always refers to himself in the third person (aka illeism), such as "Sammy says the new Van Halen album rocks!" or "Sammy loves playing for all you red rockers!"
    I've never heard him do that, but I find that annoying as hell. I freaking hate that. He'd definitely get a demerit in my book if I heard him doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I swear, I feel like an alien or something. I never found Sammy to be self-absorbed at all, while Dave just seems like a total tool to me. Completely self-absorbed, and just a moron. I don't get what I'm missing here...
    Well with Dave it was an obvious schtick and it worked on the level of Steve Martin's stand-up character in the 70s. When Dave carried it into later years it was bad; 1,000 times worse than Sammy. Sammy just felt like he was trying to be a really hip and awesome dude and failing. I only saw him that first tour; it may just have been he was trying to put on a Van Halen type of character and hadn't worked it out yet. I never saw Sammy solo which I would have enjoyed way more.

Banned
    I was in the audience for this. Well, part of it, actually. It was filmed over two nights if I'm not mistaken. Aside from the 80's look, I think it holds up pretty well, and at the time I had the impression that Sammy was far better than DLR for this band. I had seen VH on their first tour in 1978 and I thought the guy was a joke then. I had also witnessed Sammy with Montrose and solo long before his thing with VH. Sammy gave gravitas to VH, no question.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post

I saw a televised Sammy concert recently and during a guitar solo Sammy made a minor clam, I heard it and saw him grimace but it wasn't any big trainwreck, he just slid-up to a wrong note, then corrected it. I could tell it bugged him; after the song, he said "Sorry about that" to the crowd. I found that touching for some reason.

No shame in my game, I love Sammy's voice and he's written some bone-headed-ly good stuff. "Trans Am, highway wonderland!"
    I’ve seen Sammy solo 4 times over the years (never with Van Halen) and he has never failed to give me my money’s worth. When he was younger and in his prime he may have been the most energetic entertainer I have ever seen. He was one of the first to use a headset mic, and he never stopped running for two straight hours. He had a lighting rig where he could run up on the trusses from the stage way up to the top. It amazed me how he could sing (in tune) and run around like he did and also play a decent guitar. The guy had to be in incredible shape. The last time I saw him (“Marching To Mars” tour), he was in his 50’s and still very energetic although not quite the same as his younger days. His voice has held up remarkably well and with his Cabo Wabo shtick he has kind of become the Jimmy Buffett of hard rock. His shows are all about escapist entertainment and just having a good time. Prog nerd that I am, sometimes I just want to go to a fun show, drink some beers, pump my fist, and have a good time. On that Sammy always delivers.

Steve Sly

Kristi
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Back to the original topic: they're chiding Neil Young for playing an entire album before it was released. Dontcha know, that's an old tradition, going back to the mid 70's. Pink Floyd played Dark Side Of The Moon, half of Wish You Were Here, and prototypical versions of more than half of the Animals album for entire tours before the music was released. In the case of the two Animals songs, they were being played in 74, THREE YEARS before the final versions of the songs were released!

And Genesis played The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway in the US before the album had been released here.
    The difference with the tradition is that the non-Neil Young songs/albums you cite are excellent. Greenberg or whatever that album was sucked. I saw that tour and it was the most boring show I've ever seen, and I love Neil Young. Great music can be listened to without prior knowledge and enjoyed. Crap is crap. Imho.