Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Billy Cobham - Original Album Series 5 CD boxed set

Billy Cobham - Original Album Series 5 CD boxed set

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B009...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1+Billy+Cobham+Original+Album+Series.jpg 0081227969219.jpg

I've just ordered this boxed set featuring Billy's first four studio albums and his first live album. These modern value-priced 'minimalist' boxed sets are actually quite a good way to add several titles to your collection at once. The downside is that there are no bells and whistles (liner notes, etc.) but they also take up minimal shelf space (each album is in a slim sleeve inside the box). I'm a big fusion fan but haven't yet added any of Billy's albums to my collection (heard several of them over the years of course), and this was a simple and inexpensive way to rectify that! I got the Ange and Jean-Luc Ponty sets a year or two ago for the same reason. No matter how much you spend, and for how many years, you can't have everything, and even well-known stuff can slip by you or simply doesn't fit the budget sometimes. In the case of Ange, I only had the debut album Caricatures, and this box contained the next four! Perfect!

Anyway, I'm sure there will be detractors as always, but I'm a fan of these sets. Do a google search for "original album series box" and you'll see there are a TON of them. I might order the Alice Cooper box next.

Edit: actually, just do a search right on amazon, you'll see there are boxes for everyone from Bread to Ratt to Miles Davis to Alanis Morissette to Dream Theater to Pantera!
    Last edited by Progatron; 06-03-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Great albums to own. I have them all on vinyl. Enjoy!

Thanks for the tip. I'll be getting this as well.

Sometimes these boxes are the only way to get some titles. Some of the Ponty's I haven't seen readily available in the UK. Excellent value for money to be sure.

I saw that but hesitated??? because if I love the first three (I only have the second and third on vinyl), I know nothing of the other two...

how are they??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Not a Cobham fan particularly, but I agree that these sets are excellent value. A great way of filling the gaps in a collection for those artists you want to explore but not necessarily at top-dollar.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I saw that but hesitated??? because if I love the first three (I only have the second and third on vinyl), I know nothing of the other two...
    how are they??
    Funky Thide of Sings is also good. Shorter tunes, not as epic as Total Eclipse for example. Very funky. Some have a playful quality that is more like some of Spectrum, but with more horns. I think you'll find a lot to like in it if you love the others.
    I don't know the live album.

These sets are excellent. I just received a box of six Monk albums on Columbia for about 12 UK pounds, and in the past I've bought sets by The Modern Jazz Quartet, America, Eloy and Stormy Six. Excellent value.

Quote Originally Posted by digestif View Post
    Funky Thide of Sings is also good. Shorter tunes, not as epic as Total Eclipse for example. Very funky. Some have a playful quality that is more like some of Spectrum, but with more horns. I think you'll find a lot to like in it if you love the others.
    I don't know the live album.
    dfidn't realize the last one was a live album.... Most likely it features tracks (only four of them, so it looks good) from the other four...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Any thoughts on the Live Album: Cobham and Duke Band

The Enemy God
    Cobham and Duke my favourite BC album with Alphonso Johnson on bass. Stunning performance and great live sound. Frankenstein goes to the Disco my favourite BC solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    dfidn't realize the last one was a live album.... Most likely it features tracks (only four of them, so it looks good) from the other four...
    Two are from Spectrum, and the other two are unique.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Nice and great price! $20.00 (w/ shipping) for 4 albums!! I have all of these on vinyl excepting "A funky..." also have Inner Conflicts... which is wonderful.. Billy is one of my all time favorite drummers for sure.

his 3rd 'Funky Thide of Sings' isn't quite as good as his 4th 'Life and Times'. They shoulda had that instead of the live one IMO
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    his 3rd 'Funky Thide of Sings' isn't quite as good as his 4th 'Life and Times'. They shoulda had that instead of the live one IMO
    Spectrum, Crosswinds, Total Eclipse, Shabazz, then Funky Thide Of Sings, followed by Life and Times.

I already have those albums. Go for it if you don't. I used this series to pick up the first 3 Journey albums. Good value! I'll probably buy some more of these for artists I don't have much of.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Any thoughts on the Live Album: Cobham and Duke Band
    Haven't heard it in eons, but I remember it being good! It was the first album I ever heard (guitarist) John Scofield on... in fact it was probably one of the first albums he ever played on.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Haven't heard it in eons, but I remember it being good! It was the first album I ever heard (guitarist) John Scofield on... in fact it was probably one of the first albums he ever played on.
    He is on "Life & Times" too which also feature Dougie Rauch on bass on one of his last recordings. There's also some bootlegs from that line-up before Rauch was let go and Johnson came in. The band was called Spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Spectrum, Crosswinds, Total Eclipse, Shabazz, then Funky Thide Of Sings, followed by Life and Times.
    heh... I wasa thinking about the last 2 discs in the set chronologically... woulda switched out the Live album with Life and Times
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

So how do the other albums compare to Spectrum? That's the only one I've heard, and I consider it to be essential, but know nothing about the other records.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    So how do the other albums compare to Spectrum? That's the only one I've heard, and I consider it to be essential, but know nothing about the other records.
    Spectrum is the most rock orientated, no small thanks to Tommy Bolin. Crosswinds is freer and doesn't feature guitar to the same degree, more horns, jazzy. Total Eclipse like Crosswinds is jazzy, horn based but features more focused compositions. Funky Thide Of Sings is well ... funky. Shabazz is a good live set and Life and Times is a tightly composed funky fusion album in the typical mid/late '70s style of fusion complete with plenty of hot guitar and keyboard work. No two albums are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    Spectrum is the most rock orientated, no small thanks to Tommy Bolin. Crosswinds is freer and doesn't feature guitar to the same degree, more horns, jazzy. Total Eclipse like Crosswinds is jazzy, horn based but features more focused compositions. Funky Thide Of Sings is well ... funky. Shabazz is a good live set and Life and Times is a tightly composed funky fusion album in the typical mid/late '70s style of fusion complete with plenty of hot guitar and keyboard work. No two albums are the same.
    For me, the first three are essential. I've not heard Life and Times, which I will have to.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    Interesting. Maybe when I have some money I'll give these a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    They all Rock like a mofo... but Bolin is pretty unique. If you like your Prog with HEAVY ROCK drums and excellent Jazz improvisation, this is the stuff... up to and including Life and Times. After that, he went Pop like all other Prog artists from the golden era.

Well, I've listened to the whole set and I thoroughly enjoyed it - this was a GREAT buy!

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***