Thread: Claude Debussy: What is essential?

Claude Debussy: What is essential?

I am in a bit of a Debussy mood lately.

What I have is basically the EMI Orchestral works Volume 1 & 2 :
    http://www.amazon.com/Debussy-Orches...d_bxgy_m_img_y
    http://www.amazon.com/Debussy-Orches.../dp/B000HWZANI
    4CDs with 5 hours music that include the mans most well-known orchestral works.

But what else had he written that is absolutely essential? Chamber works? Solo Piano? Opera?

Does anyone have any good tips for me where to go next?

Joost
    Last edited by thedunno; 06-03-2013 at 06:18 AM.

Have you heard before this conductor?

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Have you heard before this conductor?
    ????

This is essential:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Debussy-Prel..._cr_p_t_2_QNH5

and a good recording of 'Pelleas et Melisandre' as well. The Karajan on EMI is very good, the Boulez on Sony is OK, but my favourite is this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

but it's a mono recording from 1941 and unless you are an opera buff I'd suggest sticking with a modern recording.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

If your question is "what is essential?", then those two volumes of orchestral works are what you need. If you are asking, "Where do I go next?", then I would suggest the string quartet. Debussy's opera is great, but you really have to be in the mood for it; it's pretty epic.

Once you've sifted through the orchestral works and the piano preludes, then put on The Seduction of Claude Debussy by Art of Noise and see how many pieces you can pick out!
    Last edited by Finn_McCool; 06-05-2013 at 12:58 PM.

I agree on Pelleas et Melisande. I have the Karajan and enjoy it. It is a dark and atmospheric work that is a beautiful thing to see live. Atmospherically it reminds me of Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast when I listen to it. Enjoy.

Thanks for the replies. I will certainly pick up the Piano preludes and Paaleas and Melisandre. I like string quartets a lot so I will look for that one too.

Alexi Lubimov'sDebussy Preludes (ECM, 2012) is a great place to start - solo piano, saw him do some of it and his interpretations are, in a word, sublime.

Debussy has a number of solo piano pieces that are considered among his best stuff. The Preludes have already been mentioned. Just as great, IMO, are the Etudes. There's also: Suite Bergamesque for Piano, Estampes for Piano, L'isle joyeuse, Childrens Corner, la plus que lente, Arabesques and Images for Piano. As far as performances go, I like Maurizio Pollini's Etudes and Preludes, but I'll grant that this is not a common preference.

I picked up this comprehensive piano set for 11 dollars. 4 CDs.

The Martinon EMI recordings are also available in one 4 disc set from Brilliant Classics. BC has a huge catalog of major label re-issues at very
    affordable prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I picked up this comprehensive piano set for 11 dollars. 4 CDs.
    Awesome, Reid!

I have a recording of solo piano Debussy by a pianist named Tamas Vasary that I've enjoyed for decades. I originally had it on vinyl, later on CD.

To tell the truth, I like some of Debussy's solo piano arrangements better than their orchestral counterparts. Same goes for Ravel, tremendous orchestrator though he was.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    ????
    Sorry, have you heard earlier this conductor?I mean, Debussy's orchestral works are less essential, than his works for piano. For Orchestral works, I'd suggest you to take Boulez records http://http://www.deepdiscount.com/c...n=PriceGrabber
    As for Debussy's piano works, I suggest DG 2 CD Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli Plays Debussy.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Awesome, Reid!

I have a recording of solo piano Debussy by a pianist named Tamas Vasary that I've enjoyed for decades. I originally had it on vinyl, later on CD.

To tell the truth, I like some of Debussy's solo piano arrangements better than their orchestral counterparts. Same goes for Ravel, tremendous orchestrator though he was.
    I recently picked up a Ravel piano set by Louis Lortie on Chandos which sounds good. The cheap Debussy Sony box is excellent. Paul Crossley sounds great on a very well recorded piano.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I recently picked up a Ravel piano set by Louis Lortie on Chandos which sounds good.
    I have a two disc set of the complete solo piano works by a chap named Abbey Simon. He's rather good and the music is really good! You hear the names of Debussy and Ravel get thrown together a lot and though I love both, I think Ravel's stuff is more eclectic with a generally wider scope. He was more fearless in exploring darker moods. I like the orchestral versions of stuff like "La Valse" and "Le Tambeau de Couperin" well enough, but I prefer the solo piano versions.

I need to spend more time with Le Tombeau... I keep listening to the prelude over and over because it's so beautiful. There's a nice sax quartet version on YouTube.

Debussy has remained a favorite for 30 years, and I'm only getting into Ravel in the past couple of years. And I do love his darker, melancholic work such as Pavane pour une infante defunte.

His pianostuff is essential ! Get everything ! Spend time with it !

"I love music passionately. And because I love it I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it."
    Claude Debussy