Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any board game fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    My ALL-TIME favorite board game (from the Book-Shelf gaming series) Feudal....a cross between: Chess & Statego set in mideval times.

I would love to find others to play this with. Years back, I searched the internet for some maybe "on-line" clubs but nothing....maybe a new search is in order.
    Absofuckinglutely!!! Feudal has easily the best board game I've played ... I'm even planning to develop some better wooden boards (these plastic grey things are too cheap for such a classy game)... I'm thinking of using nine boards, with rivers

OK, let's be honest: it's been on my backburner for almost three decades, and not likely to be finished soon.

I'm definitely not in games involving dice, though (except for Risk)... Pure strategy for me....That's why I also love Diplomacy .... 1st WW in Europe
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Chess, checkers and Abalon were also cool in my early teens
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    Avalon Hill games were amazing...I had D Day, Blitzkreig, Jutland, Gettysburg, Kriegspiel and others that I cant remember. For the life of me...I cant find them now, and I've been looking for days.

best
    Michael
    I could never get too much in those type of games... too complicated... the rule books were simply too much...

The only one I did somehow master a bit was Firefight, because it had detailed landscapes and illustrated tokens (instead of bizarre esoteric squares and other shit of the genre. But I'll be honest I )played maximum 10 times and haven't in almost three decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay G View Post
    My favorites have always been Monopoly, Life, Water Works and Mille Bornes. I finally was able to track down an up to date re-issue version of Mille Bornes a couple of years ago. Original version were very hard to come by and very expensive at the time I was looking.
    Is it any different to the original??

(is it remastered with bonus tracks and a revised booklet with liner notes >> JK )
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Faves include Milles Borne, Cosmic Encounter (the ABSOLUTE best!), Risk, & Trival Pursuit. Ditto on Feudal, great game! I've also got a couple of others by the maker of Feudal, Ploy being one of them (can't remember the others right now).

Trivial Pursuit
    Scrabble
    That's about it.

DtB

Played a lot of Trivial pursuit, but for some reasons, I never really considered it as a full-fleged board games... as with all these general or specific knowledge games

Quote Originally Posted by willyswing View Post
    Ditto on Feudal, great game! I've also got a couple of others by the maker of Feudal, Ploy being one of them (can't remember the others right now).

Got details???

Ploy is sorta like chess, except with little disks with ridges on them that can only move in the direction the ridges are pointing (played on a grid), the number of ridges being different on each piece (up to 4). Hard to explain!
    http://www.amazon.com/PLOY-Strategic...&keywords=ploy

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Cribbage all the way

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I love cribbage. Used to like trivial pursuit but I have a good memory and eventually learned all the answers.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Cribbage all the way
    Agreed! Still play the board game, but use the computer version when nobody is around. Play good old fashion board games, Monopoly, chutes and Ladders, battleship etc with the kids.

Lord of the Rings LCG is definitely my fave. Hoping to get into Arkham Horror, if I ever get through the rulebook...

Cribbage all the way
    I played this a lot in the mid-80's in Canada (love it still but find nobody in Europe that knows of the game).... but like most cardgames, I don't think of it as a boardgame. I mean, you can play it without the board and the pins... just writing your score down on paper

It's a bit difficult nowadys to find people who are interested but games I've played over the last couple of years are Go (the collecting souveniers one), Totopoly, Cluedo, Careers, Buccaneer, Mine a Million (now renamed The Business Game) and Formula One. I've also got Scoop, Risk, Railroader and Spy Ring but haven't played them recently.

Cribbage all the way
    Hi Paul,

I didn't know you were a cribbage player. If you come down to ProgDay this year, I'll play you a few rounds.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Lou! Challenge accepted! But we don't need to meet up in NC to play. You're just over the Zakim for crying out loud! One of these weekends we should plan to play a few rounds.

Not a board game, per se, but I always liked Pinochle, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Not a board game, per se, but I always liked Pinochle, too.
    I was going to post the same thing! Haven't played it in like 20 years.

Not a board game, but a CCG (or TCG...the gaming community has more acronyms then the prog ghetto for petes sake). Regardless if you want to call it a Collectable Card Game or a Trading Card Game...Jaipur is really fun. My wife and I spent about 2 hours yesterday playing it. The object is to trade for and sell valuable goods set in a Middle East/India theme setting. So, the more jewels, gold, silver, silk, spice's and leather you trade for the better, but you need to get rid of it quick to get the best prices...oh...an dont forget about the camels. The object is to become the Maharaja's favorite trader. Great game!

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

I could never get too much in those type of games... too complicated... the rule books were simply too much...

The only one I did somehow master a bit was Firefight, because it had detailed landscapes and illustrated tokens (instead of bizarre esoteric squares and other shit of the genre. But I'll be honest I )played maximum 10 times and haven't in almost three decades.

When I was a teen I had a group of friends I played sports board games with, like Strat-o-matic Baseball and Football. I had another group of friends who were heavily into wargames and I so wanted to be part of that clique because the games were so complex and fascinating to watch, but I just couldn't wrap my head around some of the games. Plus these guys were big into reading books about war and history which helped their understanding of the games. I would buy the games, set up the pieces, read the instructions and it seemed overwhelming. When I played against my friends, I just didn't have the intuitive grasp of what the right strategies were in a given scenario. One wargame I did enjoy was the Ace of Aces booklet series of airplane battles. Those were a lot of fun and while it helped to have knowledge of historical planes, you could still play it strictly on trying to outmaneuvre and outthink your opponent.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Lou! Challenge accepted! But we don't need to meet up in NC to play. You're just over the Zakim for crying out loud! One of these weekends we should plan to play a few rounds.
    Very true, Paul. I was thinking the same thing after hitting reply. Heck, I'm only about 5 miles away. Let me practice up with wifey, who's pretty good, and I'll get in touch.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Did the usual board games with the kids when they were young. Also got them involved in role playing games (RPG's) like Star Trek and D&D. They both still love that and have GM'ed their own games for friends.

Of course that branched out into card games. We played Magic for a while, but that got old and way too complex. Our favorite card games now are Apples to Apples (highly recommended) and a few varieties of Flux (also highly recommended).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Apples to Apples is fun, but for me at least, gets a little dull after a while. Especially if it's played while drinking. For that, I always need to have Pictionary, Scattegories, Taboo, Guesstures etc. close at hand!

Stop Thief was a favorite board game of mine growing up.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Apples to Apples is fun, but for me at least, gets a little dull after a while. Especially if it's played while drinking. For that, I always need to have Pictionary, Scattegories, Taboo, Guesstures etc. close at hand!

Stop Thief was a favorite board game of mine growing up.
    If you like Apples to Apples but prefer a game more conducive to drinking, I highly recommend Cards Against Humanity.

http://cardsagainsthumanity.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Ticket to Ride is good. But the best game out there right now is a card game called "Dominion." Check it out!
    Dominion is a fantastic game. I belong to a gaming group at work and we play once a week at lunchtime - Dominion is a favourite, along with Acquire, Carcassone, TransEuropa and Condotierre.
    Tu veux un camembert?

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    If you like Apples to Apples but prefer a game more conducive to drinking, I highly recommend Cards Against Humanity.

http://cardsagainsthumanity.com/
    I have indeed played this game, Brian. A friend of mine bought it as a goof. It's gloriously un-pc!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak