Thread: Wisdom of Crowds - Soord (Pineapple Thief) and Renske (Katatonia) collaboration

Wisdom of Crowds - Soord (Pineapple Thief) and Renske (Katatonia) collaboration

I know there are a number of Pineapple Thief and Katatonia fans on this site so just in case you don't know, the long awaited collaboration between Bruce and Jonas shipped this week!

I'm listening for the fourth time since mine arrived this morning and think it's awesome.

Quite hard to define the style/genre (which is a good thing) - it's both heavy and laid back in places, full of guitars and guitar distortion but blended with a healthy dose of electronica - synths, synth bass, percussion etc. With songwriting you would expect from Soord and Renske's vocals it's an unusual mix but one that I think works really, really well. Going to be on the player quite a while, this one.

Very much enjoying what I am hearing so far

Just heard the track "Frozen North" on the latest PROG magazine sampler and I really liked it! I should check this out. The only thing I have from Pineapple Thief is Variations On A Dream (which I do like, but oddly enough never sought out any more). And I don't really know much about Katatonia/Jonas, other than recognizing his voice from the Ayreon album.

Edit: I've just checked it out online and there seem to be two entirely different tracks both called "Frozen North". This is the one I heard:

Last edited by Progatron; 06-08-2013 at 06:26 PM.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I am liking this as well. An unlikely combo in Soord and Renske that just works. It's nice to hear Renske sing some that is not quite and dark and somber as with Katatonia (who I also like).

More electronica than is usual from a Soord release.

Worth checking out..

Rick..

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I am liking this as well. An unlikely combo in Soord and Renske that just works. It's nice to hear Renske sing some that is not quite and dark and somber as with Katatonia (who I also like).

More electronica than is usual from a Soord release.

Worth checking out..

Rick..
    Agree entirely on all points. It's a truly excellent album.

They're playing some of it live at the Kscope event in London in a few weeks time

Just gave this a thorough listen this AM. This is one of the best releases of the year so far. Excellent CD with great songwriting and chops. I'm really enjoying this!!

Incredibly this album has got to number 25 in the official BBC charts. I say incredibly as this kind of music rarely charts nowadays.............does it ?

I'm pretty excited about this one. Quite a few on my excitement list right now.

Thanks so much for this news! I really like Katatonia (looking forward to their Dead End Kings "remix" album coming out soon!) and hadn't heard about this one yet. Just saw them in Boulder and it was great, though I prefer their studio recordings. This sounds pretty cool from what I'm hearing right now.

If anyone wants to listen to this full album streaming, it's at www.Rdio.com, just search on "Wisdom of Crowds". This is a good place to check out a lot of albums, though of course they don't carry everything in the prog world.

Champion of Nothing Nicky Cupcakes's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing, from someone who didn't even know this was coming down the pipeline

received my copy from Ken at The Laser's Edge this morning...great, great recording...electronica beat here and there, soaring guitar, nice, controlled vocals...I really really like this...definitely has a The Pineapple Thief flavor!!

This arrived today from amazon UK - 4 business days, not bad! Lovely silver digibook. Excellent album!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I've only heard this once so far. At first, I was thinking...ok ok...not bad...and about halfway through thought, this is starting to get really interesting! I'm a big fan of The Pineapple Thief, but haven't heard a note of Katatonia. (Where to begin?) I'll definitely check them out now. This is turning out to be a great year for new music.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    I've only heard this once so far. At first, I was thinking...ok ok...not bad...and about halfway through thought, this is starting to get really interesting! I'm a big fan of The Pineapple Thief, but haven't heard a note of Katatonia. (Where to begin?) I'll definitely check them out now. This is turning out to be a great year for new music.
    I'd start with Dead End Kings (as it's the closest to this project) and then work my way back through Night Is The New Day and then maybe The Great Cold Distance. Those are really the only ones with the electronic elements to them and TGCD has very little at that.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    I'd start with Dead End Kings (as it's the closest to this project) and then work my way back through Night Is The New Day and then maybe The Great Cold Distance. Those are really the only ones with the electronic elements to them and TGCD has very little at that.
    I would agree. I have all of the above. They are all good and are very similar. Fairly depressing music, so you have to be in the right mood and administer in small doses.

They are about to issue a remix of Dead End Kings called Dethroned and Uncrowned. More ambient without drums and distorted guitars. If that is more your thing, could wait and try that. Not released until Sept though.

http://www.kscopemusic.com/2013/06/1...lease-details/