Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nearfest Countdown : 3 weeks ! Who's going ?

Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada; Montreal, Quebec, Canada; Coburn Gore, Maine, USA

Nearfest Countdown : 3 weeks ! Who's going ?

I think I'll go anyway. Just in case.

chalkpie
    I think Christian Vander is going.

Kobaian fuel in a flying teapot… hum…
    Zero the Hero announces Nearfest 2013
    but, a la Douglas Adams, it is in a remote
    corner of a remote galaxy.
    Anyone knows the email of the Red Roof
    or of the Comfort Suites on M31 ?
    Needed right now : a well functioning improbability drive
    spaceship with a big Hawkwind logo !
    There will be a Nearfest somewhere. Don't panic !

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Kobaian fuel in a flying teapot… hum…
    Zero the Hero announces Nearfest 2013
    but, a la Douglas Adams, it is in a remote
    corner of a remote galaxy.
    Anyone knows the email of the Red Roof
    or of the Comfort Suites on M31 ?
    Needed right now : a well functioning improbability drive
    spaceship with a big Hawkwind logo !
    There will be a Nearfest somewhere. Don't panic !
    Is that sativa or Indica talkin'?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    I think I'll go anyway. Just in case.
    I'll see you in the Bethlehem Brewworks on Friday afternoon
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I guess you'll change your mind when Zero the Hero will knock at your door
    informing you that the hyper-stellar bypass construction permit says that
    work (destruction of the earth) is scheduled for june 24th, and that this is
    the REAL reason why Nearfest is scheduled elsewhere this year.
    You still have one hour to learn by rote the Herzsprung-Russell diagram,
    you need to know that in order to be able to buy Nearfest tickets this year.
    Due to high demand from nearby galaxies attendees, tickets will probably be sold out
    in about .4 pico seconds. Patron program ticket holders will be placed near the galaxy's
    hub, the others will be 1 parsec away from the stage but the sound will be very good nevertheless
    as usual. The Zoellner team has been working on the soundcheck for 3 months.
    I'm so excited !

The Bethlehem Brewworks on Earth or on M31 ?

Oh Be A Fine Girl Kiss Me Now.

I miss it terribly...
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by DrGoon View Post
    Oh Be A Fine Girl Kiss Me Now.
    That is the title track to Hawkwind's Space Ritual -the H-R 9.8 version, mixed by Steven Wilson in the Abbey Road Topographic Studios on Alpha Centauri.
    Could only be played directly by the Sun itself, the hydrogen to helium (H to He) process converting the 9.8 signals into sun wind that is re-converted
    to analog by the planets/speakers. Now you know what VDGG were alluding to...

Is is true that at midnight on june 24th, all the Nearfest shows that have been recorded will be put on the web in HD quality for free at nearfest.com ?

I'll be there! Oh wait, I think I need another trip to the hospital...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    As long as Umphrey's McGee is there, I'm there.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    As long as Umphrey's McGee is there, I'm there.

Hey, I still have my Nearfest 2011 tickets, do you think they will let me in?

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post

Hey, I still have my Nearfest 2011 tickets, do you think they will let me in?
    Time travel is ok for prog fans -some are still in the 70s.
    Nearfest 2011 tickets are still valid in some alternate something but must be exchanged in person for Nearfest 2013 tickets at the M31 port of entry customs.
    Just ask the lady that looks like the one on the Brain Salad Surgery album cover.
    Last edited by Pierre; 06-01-2013 at 10:29 AM.

I know the thread is in jest, but:

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I miss it terribly...
    This is the overriding sentiment for me. In addition to all the *great* music, I really enjoyed seeing the various vendors in person.

And its sad to think I'll never see Rose letting people into the Zoellner again... she was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    I know the thread is in jest, but:
    This is the overriding sentiment for me. In addition to all the *great* music, I really enjoyed seeing the various vendors in person.
    And its sad to think I'll never see Rose letting people into the Zoellner again... she was cool.
    You could go back to Zoellner for a different event. Back in the fall of 2010 I went to a Pat Metheny concert there, and yes, made sure to say hello to Rose. It was VERY strange seeing a concert there that was not Nearfest. It's not the same not having all kinds of vendors there, and only one concert. Good show though.

My son is going to be a Freshman at Lehigh Univ. in the Fall, and so I was down there recently for some tours and programs. Most of the talks were held right there in Baker Hall in the Zoellner Arts Center. What a strange emotional reaction... I felt happy and sad all at the same time. It was also interesting to walk around Zoellner with a very different looking crowd. I didn't see one Magma or VDGG T-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I miss it terribly...
    This year, rather than having a little Post-Nearfest depression, we are having a little Ex Ante-No-Nearfest depression.

But I am sure all will go well on M31, though many of us won't be able to attend this year.

In a related story (well… maybe), I just read on the Planet Gong website that
    "the 'Planet Gong' will become visible in 2032".
    Anyone knows if this is true ? If it is, visible from which planet exactly ?
    Last edited by Pierre; 06-01-2013 at 10:08 AM.

At 50 seconds into this video, you'll see a really great
    preview (time warped, this was recorded on june 24, 2013)
    of the arrival of attendees at Nearfest 2013 on M31.
    Thanks to Rob16, Chad29 and Cygnus-X1 for the opportunity to see this before it happens !

Last edited by Pierre; 06-01-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Just thinking about lorentz equations and then about the relation between quantum events and universe splitting…
    I wanted to go to NF 2011 and I had tickets. Since NF 2011 did happen but in other universes that were created
    by quantum events, is it possible, if we pool all our collective intelligence on PE, to find a way to go
    in one of those alternate universe for three days at the end of june and see the 2011 shows ?
    Those that didn't buy tickets at the time, being responsible for the non-event in this universe,
    would not be admitted unless they had been subjected to a full afternoon of Vogon poetry.
    So, is it possible ? Do we have enough time ? Will we be able to come back ?

Every so often I think about NEARFest, and based on the time of year it just makes you think about would all the bands have been announced yet? Then in March getting ready on that Saturday morning to grab your tickets. Then all the posts about what lineup would you like to see, do you like this band, have you heard these guys

Now it is really hitting that the fest is no more. All arrangements would have been made, and in the next few weeks we would be getting ready for our travels

I was thinking about it a lot this year, I feel pretty lucky so far this year that I have seen Steven Wilson, and have tickets to see Hackett this September. But, the great thing about NF was all the bands who you were not familiar with that just blow you away. I still think about my favorite acts that I went into the Fest not knowing their music who became favorites :

Birdsongs
    Miriodir
    Hidria Spacefolk
    These are the types of bands you probably would never have the chance to see, and because of NF I was exposed and have become a fan.

And the others who were favorites that NF gave me the opportunity to see
    echolyn - performing MEI
    Steve Hackett
    Camel
    Anglagard
    Happy The Man
    Mike Keneally
    Three Friends
    Oblivion Sun
    Porcupine Tree
    Transatlantic
    UK

I did miss a few years, but made almost all of them. And I can honestly say I gave every act my attention, and although there were bands I was not a big fan of their music, I still came away for the most part impressed with all of them. Most of these bands don't have the luxury of music being their only thing, and to think of how excellent most of the bands were is truly impressive.

I always enjoyed the interaction with both the bands and fans. Everyone was very nice and respectful, always taking time to talk about music or whatever. The weekend always had a great vibe, and I have experiences and memories that I will never forget.

A sincere thank you to all those who made NEARFest the most enjoyable live music event I have been a part of. Just a fantastic experience that sadly has come to an end.

Eric

all good things....
    thanks for the note Eric! <3

and be sure to buy Hidria Spacefolk's new album Astronautica. IMO it's their best yet. They go from strength to strength.

arpobermoog
    I've also been thinking about NEARfest. I have to go to Bethlehem on some business the weekend of June 21st. So I checked out the concerts in the area and got tickets for the Nektar/Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash show at Sellersville Theatre on the 22nd. So kind of a mini Prog fest. for me on Saturday night. Annie Haslam & Jann Klose of Renaissance are playing there on Sunday night. So were these shows booked in late June to fill the Prog void left by no Nearfest?