Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nearfest Countdown : 3 weeks ! Who's going ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Since NF 2011 did happen but in other universes that were created
    by quantum events, is it possible, if we pool all our collective intelligence on PE, to find a way to go
    in one of those alternate universe for three days at the end of june and see the 2011 shows ?
    I don't know. Maybe the one where instead of Umphrey's, who tour constantly and aren't that hard to catch on their own, the NF 2.0 crew booked Jaga Jazzist - who are a similarly younger band with a younger following, almost never play the States, and were in the country at the time. The problem for us, though, would be one of having to go downtime then back uptime, as well as sideways to another probability. If we could jump to that universe, maybe we would have had to do so in 2011.

I'm going to have some big time withdrawal. I honestly believe that even a place like PE suffers because there grew to be a connection between the two and people were always excited around going during the year.

Couple this with the disappointment of FARfest not happening - which, while ambitious, did have eventual designs on picking up where NF left off had the support been there.

That leaves ProgDay and RoSFest, which typically book one or two bands I want to go see and a lot I have little to no interest in. That's not to say I wouldn't go as both are within driving distance for me, but it's difficult for me to get excited about either of them.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I miss NF, tons. Big THANK YOU's to all who worked tirelessly throughout the years !!

I just felt really sad.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'll see you in the Bethlehem Brewworks on Friday afternoon
    That's a great idea. Wherever I am that weekend I'll be raising my glass to thank and remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    I think I'll go anyway. Just in case.
    Count me in, one planet or another, I'll navigate my flying teapot there. And if NEARfest happens to take place on good old planet Earth again, Bethlehem, Brewworks always sounds good to me.
    http://www.artrockpics.com

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Tell you what, on Saturday, June 29th at 5:00pm, raise a glass and we'll all do a NF toast. Thanks for this thread and thanks again for all the support over those 14 amazing years.
    Last edited by Nearfest2; 06-03-2013 at 03:46 PM.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire Nexus View Post
    Tell you what, on Saturday, June 29th at 5:00pm, raise a glass and we'll all do a NF toast. Thanks for this thread and thanks again for all the supposed over those 14 amazing years.
    Think I can manage that.... though I'll probably raise my coffee mug.....

I miss NEARfest, too ... and I only attended the last one! To think, this time last year, I could hardly wait for June 22nd...

I will miss it terribly as well. In fact my buddies and I made a pack that if anything ever happened to one of us, the other two would continue to attend in honor. We had so much fun every year, saw lots of great bands and got to get away with the guys for weekend. We still have Rosfest and made it to the CTTE this year....but Nearfest will be sorely missed. Thanks to everyone who made this happen!! I will be raising a glass as well, hoping that some how, some way it will come back some day. Meeting Gary Green, Roger Dean, Annie Haslam...you can't explain it to people, you definitely had to be there. Plus June 22nd is my birthday...it will never be the same.

A toast is certainly warranted.
    I hope the organizers (Kob, Rad and Chevin?) enjoyed a much deserved stress-free year and lots of quality time with family.

I was thinking about this the other day also. Over the last 4 years of NF I found it increasingly harder to attend the weekend because of work schedules. This year would have been pretty much impossible, so I don't feel the guilt about missing something which is not happening. But the memories of the great performances and the good times of being there will always be with me and I couldn't thank Rob and Chad and everyone else who was involved enough for the memories. Maybe someday it will return for an encore.

Rick

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    A toast is certainly warranted.
    I hope the organizers (Kob, Rad and Chevin?) enjoyed a much deserved stress-free year and lots of quality time with family.
    No question about it. I was just saying to Rob the other day, I miss the people, not the stress.
    Chad

I will raise a glass to toast NF on the 29th, great idea. Maybe Tom G will do a NF request show on that Saturday night, only NF alumni will be played!

In an unexpected turn of events I'll be at the scene of the crime part of that weekend. I'll be driving from the Midwest to Connecticut for a show on Saturday the 29th. Bethlehem seems the perfect place to stay Friday night. I plan to hang out at the beloved Brewworks, have a few beverages and reminisce. A gathering of proggers? Just a thought. Before I leave town I'll have to get one of the famous Meat-Stick Bloody Marys that caused a small and exclusive cult to be born at the last NF. You all know who you are!

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire Nexus View Post
    Tell you what, on Saturday, June 29th at 5:00pm, raise a glass and we'll all do a NF toast. Thanks for this thread and thanks again for all the support over those 14 amazing years.
    A toast would be in order.

Having gone to every NF starting in 2001 it will be strange not being there this year. For me, NF was the real start of summer, not Memorial Day.

Not just a toast but playing some music from the great bands I saw there over the years.
    E

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    I will raise a glass to toast NF on the 29th, great idea. Maybe Tom G will do a NF request show on that Saturday night, only NF alumni will be played!
    great idea!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

fuck the toast! I'm raising a beer!!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    fuck the toast! I'm raising a beer!!
    Fuck the beer, I'm shooting up!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Fuckin' A!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Yeah, ok, uh, maybe not.... I do still have two rather skunky but still good Nearfest beers in the fridge, I'll definitely finish them finally. Seriously, I had one last week, and obviously they were not meant to keep for 11 months, but I forgot about them since they are in the garage fridge, and I hadn't been drinking for a few months due to health issues. Wasn't as good as last June of course but very drinkable. Still have a couple Guiness from st. patty's day, I swear that stuff never goes bad.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Now that there's no NEARfest, I'm going to actually have to think of something for my wife and I to do for our anniversary June 21st, and the family will have to do something together on Father's Day. I know: spend the weekend mutually celebrating my love of prog!

If we all show up......it will happen!
    image.jpg
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Good times...Long Live NEARfest! And as Cozy and others have mentioned, there really was a wonderful relationship between PE and NF-- the interaction kind of amped-up the seasonal excitement.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Where's My Miracle?