Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Anyone around check this record out? It is, namely the track "Get Lucky" getting a lot of buzz and hype, and while that typically detracts from my interest, with the help for the fact my girlfriend got into it over the last couple of weeks, I've been pretty won over by it.

Is it prog? no, not much. But I'd say it does score well with ambition and combining many different, especially new styles for Daft Punk, who mostly have been known for their House, Electronic type music previously.

I also think 1 big thing that got me interested was some of the guests. From Giorgio Moroder to Paul Williams to Nile Rodgers.

The 3rd track 'Giorgio by Moroder" and the closing track "Contact" the drum work namely gets rather technical at times. There's definitely a jazz-fusion influence with those tracks alone.

I am being reminded with this album, of some albums in recent years by artists like The Apples in Stereo, Janelle Monae and Apes and Androids among some others.

Love this album. In addition to the songs you posted, I like the Panda Bear-sung "Doin' It Right". They decided to use actual musicians as opposed to samples on RAM.

I'm not a fan of "Get Lucky," but "Contact" is pretty good. Their Tron Legacy soundtrack is a friggin' masterpiece.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

WeatherWiseCDC
    I would classify this album as a cross between jazz funk and art rock. Listening to some jazz funk from the late 1970s, there are some very clear similarities, especially in "Giorgio by Moroder." Some of the songs featuring guest vocalists sound like art rock, a few of which recall memories of the Alan Parsons Project.

It's a pretty decent album. It's great that the duo want to bring these genres back into the public spotlight.

It's disco to my ears... The type of music that got burned at the Chicago Disco Demolition event in 1979... though more sophisticated and "modernised".
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

WeatherWiseCDC
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    It's disco to my ears... The type of music that got burned at the Chicago Disco Demolition event in 1979... though more sophisticated and "modernised".
    That's exactly what it is and exactly what they intended, though. I can see those who dislike disco not enjoying the album at all, although I'm personally glad they moved away from recording electronic house music. I wasn't a fan of their previous work.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I thought this was okay. Most of it didn't do a lot for me. I much preferred their "Tron Legacy" soundtrack.
    Chad

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I thought this was okay, though I liked the '70s disco infusiom. Most of it didn't do a lot for me. I much preferred their "Tron Legacy" soundtrack.
    Chad

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I had never heard Daft Punk before. From their name, I assumed they were a punk band. Thanks to the videos you posted, I know now that they are in the realm of R & B and Electronic. It's OK, but I probably won't rush out to buy it. Thanks for the introduction, though.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

WeatherWiseCDC
    It's jazz funk.

i like the album a lot.

check out Miracles of Modern Science cover of "Get Lucky."

It's real odd how Daft Punk suddenly became one of the most hyped acts on the planet. Back in their day they were on the same level as say, Basement Jaxx, Underworld, the Chemical Bros., Leftfield, and so on - big within their scene, and most casual listeners would recognize a tune or two. Their last studio album was a total dud and despite the love for the Tron OST in this thread, it was panned by most critics. But there was something - a combination of the total spectacle of their 2007 pyramid tour (that suddenly made them the hottest live act on the planet), Kanye sampling "HFBS", and the fact that Discovery has proven much more influential than anyone could have guessed, that allowed RAM to become this big thing.

Heard this in a record store the other day. I was amazed by how ordinary it sounded. I especially tired of the auto tuned voices. Rolling Stone is really hyping this album as well as the new Vampire Weekend, another run of the mill record.

Vampire Weekend?, lol.

Not to forget, Daft Punk has been around for more than a decade longer.

I haven't heard this album yet, apart from the odd track on the radio (which I've enjoyed), but I think Digital Love is one of the greatest songs of the last 20 years...

I was a little surprised at how strongly they went in the disco direction. The music itself is very cool, but it leaves you wanting actual soulful vocals in many of the tracks as opposed to the vocoder/robot voices. I found it disappointing, and am surprised at the extent of the worldwide buzz. It seems everyone loves it but me! Good on them, though.

If I want to hear Nile Rodgers I will listen to Chic or his "Land of the Good Groove". IF I want to hear Moroder I'll put on Donna Summer or Midnight Express.

Quote Originally Posted by indiemusicpromo View Post
    It seems everyone loves it but me!
    There are those that are completely indifferent...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by indiemusicpromo View Post
    I was a little surprised at how strongly they went in the disco direction. The music itself is very cool, but it leaves you wanting actual soulful vocals in many of the tracks as opposed to the vocoder/robot voices. I found it disappointing, and am surprised at the extent of the worldwide buzz. It seems everyone loves it but me! Good on them, though.
    I was a little surprised myself, but I dig the vibe of the whole album. Yes, it's kitsch, but it's a fun ride.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

All I'm hearing is late 70's funk/disco with maybe a touch of jazz..

I hear little to no fusion.

Count me as militantly indifferent,
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

I don't know much about these guys, apart from that video where the guy wore the dog mask. But one day I was watching a video on YouTube of restored WWII footage and I loved the music in the background, so I used the Shazam app and learned it was Daft Punk, a piece of music called Disc Wars from the Tron: Legacy soundtrack. That app came in so handy, because I would never have known what the music was, and I would certainly never see that movie.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I won't miss them but I know a lot of people really enjoy disco music.
    The Prog Corner

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Random Access Memory wasn't so much a disco album as it was a paean to the '70s from their perspective and it's a very broad spectrum of '70s pastiche such as early electronica, disco, pop and adult contemporary but excluding rock or prog. In other words, what two lads from France may have been exposed to at an early age. The rest of their catalog is more the house, dubstep thing I find that type of music minimally interesting. I do still enjoy Random Access Memory but since it's a one-off I doubt I'll be pining for anything else from them.