Thread: Music Video thread

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Music Video thread

There are two music video-related things that are bugging me. Maybe someone can figure out the answers. Feel free to talk about other music video stuff in here, too.

1. I recall seeing The Band's Richard Manuel appear in some other group's mid-'80s video, maybe as a backup singer. I seem to recall that he was wearing a pastel blazer or sportjacket. Does anyone remember this? Who was it?

2. There was a very strange mid-80's video that was either on MTV or maybe even the New Visions show on VH1. It featured a closeup of a strange-looking guy in either white, grey or silver makeup; that's all I can remember. It wasn't something popular, and was from around the same time as the equally strange Close to the Edit video by Art of Noise. Maybe the band's name started with an "S"? Any guesses?

Question #2 sounds like Red Hot Chili Peppers "Give It Away", although that one was quite popular, so maybe not.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

2. There was a very strange mid-80's video that was either on MTV or maybe even the New Visions show on VH1. It featured a closeup of a strange-looking guy in either white, grey or silver makeup; that's all I can remember. It wasn't something popular, and was from around the same time as the equally strange Close to the Edit video by Art of Noise. Maybe the band's name started with an "S"? Any guesses?
    Could be New Song by Howard Jones:

or Visage's Fade To Grey:

or this guy:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    There are two music video-related things that are bugging me. Maybe someone can figure out the answers. Feel free to talk about other music video stuff in here, too.

1. I recall seeing The Band's Richard Manuel appear in some other group's mid-'80s video, maybe as a backup singer. I seem to recall that he was wearing a pastel blazer or sportjacket. Does anyone remember this? Who was it?

Not the Max Headroom video?

2. Was something fairly obscure,and very strange. 1. Was something that was pretty mainstream, as I recall. Thanks for the guesses.

For question #1:
    Might you be confusing Richard Manuel with Garth Hudson playing with The Call?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Are you sure you're not thinking of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    For question #1:
    Might you be confusing Richard Manuel with Garth Hudson playing with The Call?
    Nope - this was Richard. I recall noticing that his hair was grayer than in the Band Is Back concert video from '83 that I'd seen.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Are you sure you're not thinking of this?]
    Nope.

On a totally different video topic...

(don't watch if you're prone to seizures)

Is that Beefheart at :20, 1:13 and 2:27? Recognize anyone else - maybe John Smothers at 1:02?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Are you sure you're not thinking of this?

Never saw that before. Jan Hammer with a gun, running from the cops is pretty darn silly!
    Boy, he sure adapted to the '80s in a big way, huh?! Ah well, being a fusion keyboard wizard generally doesn't pay the bills.

Resurrecting my old thread,

This was #2 that I was trying to find.

I never did figure out #1.

Ouch. I can't unsee that.

Hmm.

This doesn't really match what I wrote about, and I'm not sure it was played on MTV or VH1, but I suppose it could be what I was remembering: