Thread: Änglagård - Members out?

Änglagård - Members out?

Let me first tell you that I'm a big fan of the band and all their albums (including Viljans Öga) are firm favourites in my big prog collection. I guess there's been discussions earlier on but since I missed out on them.. Why are Jonas, Mattias and Thomas gone? Did I miss something big? I know there has been kind of stormy through the years but...? I can honestly say that I liked these musicians. Anyone?

I do not know what happened, but the new members are quite good as witnessed at BAJA Prog. I was told by the Guitarist that they will be recording a new album soon.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

My guess is that jonas and thomas have job commitments that would prevent them from touring ,and this current lineup seems to be put together to play shows. It will be interesting if they put out another album.

Mattias expressed dissatisfaction in his videos of having the recordings use the same arrangements as the demos and not being allowed to experiment more, so he left the band for artistic reasons.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    A new album is in the making. Probably next year. Also a live album has been discussed. The Japanese shows were recorded.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Saw them at the Prog-Résiste convention in Belgium last month. New line-up is strong - the new drummer is a worthy replacement for the formidable Mattias Olsson. Tord Lindman seemed a tiny bit rusty as a guitarist compared to Jonas, as could be expected after 18 years away from the band, but it's great to see him back and I'm sure he'll keep getting better. Having seen both this and the previous line-up in the space of 8 months, I'd say they're both worthy of the name. They also opened with a new (instrumental) piece which sounded like classic Anglagard. I'm sad to see the original band drift apart but if this is the price to pay for them to continue, then that's fine by me.
    Last edited by calyx; 05-30-2013 at 07:24 PM.

It's always tricky to post on a thread where Aymeric saw the same concert I did. I risk contradiction at every coma.
    Just kidding of course, I agree with his concert assessment. Still a great band live,and the other summit of the Prog-Resiste Festival (the other being Forgas Phenomena Band... and Kotebel & Aranis sharing a distant third spot)

There is a foreseen live album (that comes from the horse itself) in the works... most likely released early next year. It should come in a mini-Lp format
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Speaking of Anglagard , I just listened to Viljans Oga for the first time in a couple months, it is ridiculously good , this band no matter who is in it makes high quality music.

I've been listening to Änglagård for almost 20 years, and for the first time (inspired by this thread) I decided to stick their name into Google Translate, since I had no idea what the word meant in Swedish.

It means "House of Angels".

I have suspicions about one of the points of friction, but I'll keep it to myself. A bit obvious, perhaps, but I don't want any of the current members to address it.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I have suspicions about one of the points of friction, but I'll keep it to myself. A bit obvious, perhaps, but I don't want any of the current members to address it.
    Spit this shit out like a nasty greenish-grey phlegm ball with blood.