Thread: Kestrel (1975 UK) - new reissue on Belle Antique. Extra bonus disc?

Kestrel (1975 UK) - new reissue on Belle Antique. Extra bonus disc?

I saw this a few days ago, and I still haven't been able to figure out what's on the second disc?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview....Y=BELLE-132096

I love the album proper, so if there's some excellent bonus material out there, I would be most curious.

Anyone know?

- Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    I saw this a few days ago, and I still haven't been able to figure out what's on the second disc?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview....Y=BELLE-132096

I love the album proper, so if there's some excellent bonus material out there, I would be most curious.

Anyone know?

- Tom
    Noticed this one just an hour ago at the Belle Antique web site.

Second disc is what is listed as Bonus on the cdjapan web site.

DISC 1
    1.ジ・アクロバット The Acrobat (6:45)
    2. ウィンド・クラウドWind Cloud (4:41)
    3.アイ・ビリーヴ・イン・ユー I Believe In You (4:10)
    4. ラスト・リクエストLast Request (4:50)
    5.イン・ザ・ウォー In The War (7:32)
    6. テイク・イット・アウェイTake It Away (4:11)
    7.エンド・オヴ・ジ・アフェア End Of The Affair (4:51)
    8.オーガスト・キャロル August Carol (7:18)

DISC 2
    1. オーガスト・キャロル(ディファレント・ヴァージョン)*
    August Carol (Different Version) 7:02
    2. ジ・アクロバット(ディファレント・ヴァージョン)*
    The Acrobat ( Different Version) 6:30
    3. パート・オヴ・ザ・マシーン(未発表アウトテイク)*
    Part of the Machine ( Outtake ) 4:42
    4. ザ・サーチャー (未発表アウトテイク)*
    The Sercher ( Outtake) 4:28
    5. オーガスト・キャロル(シングル・エディット)*
    August Carol ( Single Edit) 3:47
    6. ウィンド・クラウド (シングル・エディット)*
    Wind Cloud ( Single Edit) 3:43
    * ボーナス・トラック

Ah - thank you! That's exactly what I needed.

Doesn't look like it's worth seeking out then on its own (for me anyway).

Ah - thank you! That's exactly what I needed.

Doesn't look like it's worth seeking out then on its own (for me anyway).
    It's a japanese SHM 2CD, so it's going to be (very) expensive. I don't care to much for single edits or alternative Versions (which are shorter than the original)
    Would like to hear the outtakes, but won't spend big bucks for 9 minutes of unheard material.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    It's a japanese SHM 2CD, so it's going to be (very) expensive. I don't care to much for single edits or alternative Versions (which are shorter than the original)
    Would like to hear the outtakes, but won't spend big bucks for 9 minutes of unheard material.
    And the fact that is "SHM"..... it is probably loud and no-noised to death anyway. Belle Antique is known for "tweaking" with most of their reissues.
    Last edited by Romerovm; 05-30-2013 at 04:54 PM.

Wuzzah! Unreleased Kestrel material? I sure hope those aren't just alternate titles to songs that were on the album already.

Underrated album, IMO. Has some very precious melodies and harmonically interesting twists to it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yeah the opening song, (The Acrobat - one of my faves) doesn't repeat a single melody for, something like 4 minutes or something, pretty cool. 'End of the Affair' is my very favorite though, an absolutely beautiful song. I still play this cd now and then.

I always thought of this as a very marginal album. Based on all the genuflecting I need to revisit I guess.

On the surface, it's almost a glam-rock album, but underneath that is really good songwriting that's pretty complex and challenging, but still catchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Underrated album, IMO. Has some very precious melodies and harmonically interesting twists to it.
    I agree this is a great great album. I like it even better than Spring, Gracious, and the like.

Here are my notes on the album fwiw: Some of the most beautiful songwriting ever committed to vinyl. The piano and mellotron are exemplary here. It's typically lumped in with the progressive rock scene, and it is somewhat - but only tangentially so. I can hear parallels with Fruupp's "Modern Masquerades", Sebastian Hardie's "Four Moments", and Dragon's "Scented Gardens for the Blind" - a certain sophisticated AOR sound that is very hard to describe. And this is the best of that lot. This is one of those albums that doesn't sound good on paper, but if you have any tolerance at all for a commercially oriented sound, then Kestrel is a must listen.

Would love a nice vinyl reissue.

Here are my notes on the album fwiw: Some of the most beautiful songwriting ever committed to vinyl. The piano and mellotron are exemplary here. It's typically lumped in with the progressive rock scene, and it is somewhat - but only tangentially so. I can hear parallels with Fruupp's "Modern Masquerades", Sebastian Hardie's "Four Moments", and Dragon's "Scented Gardens for the Blind" - a certain sophisticated AOR sound that is very hard to describe. And this is the best of that lot. This is one of those albums that doesn't sound good on paper, but if you have any tolerance at all for a commercially oriented sound, then Kestrel is a must listen.
    I think this is perfectly described.

I love the album, but frankly it's never seen that great of a CD reissue and Belle Antique are hardly a label I expect to remedy that. I suppose the original issues from Japan on Teichiku are the most tolerable, but they were no-noised heavily. The problem with the later versions that weren't no-noised is that they had enough treble to kill a cat wandering the streets three blocks away.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Yeah the opening song, (The Acrobat - one of my faves) doesn't repeat a single melody for, something like 4 minutes or something, pretty cool. 'End of the Affair' is my very favorite though, an absolutely beautiful song.
    My faves as well, Bill! And the whole trick about "The Acrobat" (no pun) is that even though it moves through all those rather differing motions, it's basically a feel-good pop/rock hymn of the highest order! I can't listen to "End of the Affair" if I'm not drinking and alone, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Fantastic disc that I'd missed completely - it was a PE thread a couple of years back that alerted me to it

Great songs

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Great album, an oddity based on when it came out. I'd be interested, but the SHM is not something that interests me.

On the surface, it's almost a glam-rock album, .
    Wow. I don't hear that. The less overtly Prog tracks have a 60s pop sensibility to my ears, a la Czar.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Wow. I don't hear that. The less overtly Prog tracks have a 60s pop sensibility to my ears, a la Czar.
    I don’t hear any “glam rock” on this album at all, either. I associate “glam rock” with theatricality and up-front rhythm guitar, both of which are in short supply on this album. I hear more a 70s pop/soft rock sound, which is probably why this albums detractors dismiss it as being “cheesy.” But I find the songcraft on this disc to be very high, the previously mentioned “End of the Affair” is indeed gorgeous.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Ass All”-Rupert Hine/Pick Up a Bone

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Absolutely agreed. It frustrates me when people refer to it as "commercial". And someone else has already said one of the things which I always mention when defending this album:

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Yeah the opening song, (The Acrobat - one of my faves) doesn't repeat a single melody for, something like 4 minutes or something, pretty cool.
    OK, 4 minutes might be a bit of a stretch, but essentially he's correct on this point.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike