Thread: Rush Sectors Box Sets

Banned

Rush Sectors Box Sets

Sorry if there is already another thread on this. I did do a search, and came up empty. I got all three Sectors box sets at Best Buy today. I am in the middle of the Fly By Night 5.1 DVD. So far, so good. I did go over to Amazon after I bought this sets to see reviews. Some people have said that the FBN CD and DVD discs have a defect. What is the defect? Also, what is the best way to get the discs out of the slipcases. I left some fingerprints on the FBN DVD, but it seems to be playing fine. Any opinions on these box sets?
    Last edited by JIF; 05-30-2013 at 05:32 AM.

I thought they could have been done so much better. They didn't even get Hugh Syme to design the packaging. The booklets look cheap and thrown together IMO. I really bought them for the 5.1 albums (and I'm a bit of a Rush completist). The sound is great but I just wish they'd put more effort into the packaging. I didn't notice an issue with FBN but I exchanged it anyway just to be safe. Universal were offering to send out a replacement for all of the FBN DVDs. Not sure if they're still offering. You might have to look that up.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus74 View Post
    I thought they could have been done so much better. They didn't even get Hugh Syme to design the packaging. The booklets look cheap and thrown together IMO. I really bought them for the 5.1 albums (and I'm a bit of a Rush completist). The sound is great but I just wish they'd put more effort into the packaging. I didn't notice an issue with FBN but I exchanged it anyway just to be safe. Universal were offering to send out a replacement for all of the FBN DVDs. Not sure if they're still offering. You might have to look that up.
    I read several online sources that(I believe) that the FBN CD and AFTK DVD were messed up. I did not play the FBN CD, but I did play the FTK DVD, and noticed nothing wrong with the disc. Btw, the version of Mission in the Sector 3 set has more present strings. Regarding your point about the packaging, I quite like the packaging. I like that it's divided into a picture of the album covers, followed by production info on said album. I wish more bands would design their box sets this way.
    Last edited by JIF; 06-16-2013 at 07:38 AM.

So, why the hell is Sector 2 $50 while Sector 1 and 3 re only $30? (Amazon)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Buy from Best Buy. I paid $39.99 for each set.

Banned
    I listened to many things from the Sectors box sets today:Fly By Night(CD and DVD), All The World's A Stage, A Farewell To Kings(CD and DVD), the Signals DVD, and Hold Your Fire. I did not encounter the sound issues that people have been talking about. I look forward to digging into the rest of the CDs soon.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    My guess is that it's the best era!

Banned
    Inspired by catching Rush's induction speech into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame this morning, I decided to go on another Rush listening binge. Listening to the studio albums in the Sectors box set, with the live albums to follow.

Banned
    Just got through box 1, now starting on box two. In regards to Caress Of Steel, I did notice that Terry Brown's narration on The Necromancer was barely audible on the '97 remaster. It is heard more clearly on the Sectors version of Caress Of Steel.
    Last edited by JIF; 06-01-2013 at 05:02 AM.

Banned
    I also have to mention something about the package: it's good to see the old Mercury label on the front of the individual CDs. Another comparison to the '97 remaster:I found out(thanks PE) that the lyrics to Different Strings was credited to Neal when Geddy actually wrote them. The Sectors box set corrects this.

Banned
    Wow, just noticed that a string section appears briefly in Manhattan Project.

Banned
    I noticed that an echo effect was applied to Geddy's voice on certain parts of Distant Early Warning(for instance: when Geddy sings 'red alert"). I played my '97 remastered copy of GUP to see if this was a defect, because I hadn't noticed that effect before. It is there on the '97 remaster, but it's barely noticeable. It seems that echo effect was one of the things brought to the surface in the new version. I also heard some addition guitar parts on Signals and Power Windows.

I bought the sets for the 5.1 discs, though I have not had time to digest Signals and Farewell to Kings, Bytor and the Snowdog on the Fly By Night I thought was very well done. The first half of Fly By Night I thought was nothing that special (though it did sound great), I often times prefer a aggressive 5.1 approach if the music allows for it, so from Bytor to the end of the disc I thoroughly enjoyed it. I listened the stereo mix of Caress of Steel, which I thought sounded very nice (about the same as the 97 remasters to my ears) and wished to hear a mix of the Necromancer in 5.1 after hearing what they did with Bytor. I did not hear any problems with my Fly By Night disc, so perhaps it was not a universal problem.

i can't compare to older releases cause this is how i started listening to rush but i think compared to the gold standard (king crimson followed by genesis) these boxsets are fairly weak but i got them for 25 bucks each so definitely a good way to get into the band on a budget if you time your purchase correctly.

pretty annoying though that the special edition of 2112 was released so shortly afterward and that there was a dvda of moving pictures already available those both should have been included here and smacks of money grab to me. and the lack of any bonus material is pretty lame imho at least the early single should have been dug out for this.

Any worthy bonus??? (filmed footage and real tracks ( >> no alt of live version)???
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Any worthy bonus??? (filmed footage and real tracks ( >> no alt of live version)???
    No, but I don't mind. Rush have various live albums and DVDs for that.

I regards to the defects, FBN CD had channels "flash crossing" at around the 2 minute mark on Anthem. The AFTK DVD did not play on some players (OPPO in my case). Since then, all the sets in stores should be corrected. Also, I noticed that on the inside of the Signals sleeve, "Countdown" is not printed before the lyrics. Check that in yours.

-Blackwaterpark

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwaterpark View Post
    I regards to the defects, FBN CD had channels "flash crossing" at around the 2 minute mark on Anthem. The AFTK DVD did not play on some players (OPPO in my case). Since then, all the sets in stores should be corrected. Also, I noticed that on the inside of the Signals sleeve, "Countdown" is not printed before the lyrics. Check that in yours.

-Blackwaterpark
    What is flash crossing?

Banned
    Geddy's bass really pops on Chemistry. Never noticed that on the '97 remaster of Signals. It helps that I'm wearing headphones.

Banned
    Never noticed Geddy talking at the end of Digital Man before.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Never noticed Geddy talking at the end of Digital Man before.
    It's always been there - I always used to listen to it because he says one or two funny things.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It's always been there - I always used to listen to it because he says one or two funny things.
    Like I said, I never noticed it before.

Banned
    Were the strings towards the end of The Manhattan Project always there? They appear before the last chorus.

Banned
    I listened to the Sectors version of ATK, Signals, and GUP tonight. I did notice a bit of echo on certain tracks like Cygnus X-1("all who dare to cross her course...") and Distant Early Warning(there's an echo on the phrase "red alert").

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocinante30 View Post
    I listened the stereo mix of Caress of Steel, which I thought sounded very nice (about the same as the 97 remasters to my ears).
    IMHO, the Sectors version of COS is way better. I could barely heard the narration in The Necromancer in the '97 version. In the Sectors version, it's crystal-clear.