Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rolling Stones

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Rolling Stones

Anybody following the Stones' '50 & Counting' tour? been/going to a show? I would've liked to go to a Chicago gig, but by the time I found out about it, the $85 tix were sold out. I don't know how Jagger does what he does onstage, for over 2 hours nonetheless. I'm wondering if he gets help from Red Bull or amphetamines or whatever.

I would like to see the Stones once before they or I die.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Why? They're not waiting for you...

me too, but I think I'm gonna have to settle for DVDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Saw their early 90's thingie that hit the big screen on TV last week... it'll do my Live Stones craving...

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    me too, but I think I'm gonna have to settle for DVDs.
    yeah, maybe if they have some 70's concerts available? I'd think about it...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Love the Stones, but I ain't gonna pay those ticket prices. Last time I saw them was the Bridges to Babylon tour about 15 years ago, and they were still pretty great. Jagger's energy was incredible then, and from what I've seen on YouTube he's still bringing it.

I'd love to go, but not at those prices. I've seen them twice (89 & 94) and tickets weren't cheap at the time. I'll wait for the dvd release as well. Jagger is a marvel. Good genes, I suspect. His father lived until the age of 94. He was a physical fitness teacher so Jagger has that on his side. Plus he stays in shape. From what he says, he's always working out.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

yeah, he's 14 yrs older than I am, and I can't even run around the block (but I do have a lower back problems that make running risky for me).

This is the first time I've actually been interested in seeing them in person. I would've liked to see them in Chicago but by the time I found out about it, the $85 tix were sold out. so, my Stones shows will be DVDs, Blu-ray and Youtube. I remember seeing them on TV in the mid 60's. I thought Jagger looked dangerous.

I caught them in '65 and '69, but have no real desire to see them now. But....if they were playing locally, and someone gave me tickets, hmmmmm......

I gave up on them after Sticky Fingers but just the other day picked up Exile...., an LP I didn't much dig when it came out; it's patchy and somewhat "samey", but there's enough good stuff on it to recommend it.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I have everything up to and including It's Only Rock n Roll, which is spotty itself IMO. The Mar 26, '71 Marquee Club show is my to-and-from-work entertainment today.

Just for kicks...

Anybody following the Stones' '50 & Counting' tour? been/going to a show? I would've liked to go to a Chicago gig, but by the time I found out about it, the $85 tix were sold out. I don't know how Jagger does what he does onstage, for over 2 hours nonetheless. I'm wondering if he gets help from Red Bull or amphetamines or whatever.
    Been updating the other Stones thread from time to time with videos from the tour. Love how they're throwing different tunes into the set from night to night. Saw the first show in Brooklyn last December; man, Jagger is on fire from start to finish. I wondered about the "kick" he gets and where it's from too. Perhaps he gets his adrenaline rush from any number of teenage girls at his beck and call every gig! I've seen them a few times over the decades and I think they're at their finest now. Great setlists, great energy, great audiences. Yep it's a co$tly night out, but see 'em if you can, it may be the last time...I don't know.

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...hearsing-in-LA
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Apparently The Stones have reached their saturation point with ticket prices. Tons of lower level tickets are not sold because NOBODY is willing to dish out $600.00 for one ticket. My friend the Stones fan boy says that many ticket prices have been slashed in half. So he got me a $475.00 box seat for $237.50. I will be seeing them in Philly on 6/21. I really only wanted to pay $100.00. Now supposedly they are selling the unsold $600.00 lower level seats for $95.00 the day before the show. They just don't tell you where your seat is until you get to the venue. I would have done that. I catch one Stones gig every tour thinking it will be the last.

I saw them in '69, '72, '75, '81, '83 and, I think, the Bridges to Babylon tour. Loved each and every one of them. I just stopped going to their shows when tickets reached $100 apiece. My favorite show was at the Hollywood Palladium with Stevie Wonder opening. That was my idea of a classic Stones concert!

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    I saw them in '69, '72, '75, '81, '83 and, I think, the Bridges to Babylon tour. Loved each and every one of them. I just stopped going to their shows when tickets reached $100 apiece. My favorite show was at the Hollywood Palladium with Stevie Wonder opening. That was my idea of a classic Stones concert!
    That must have been 1972. That's when I saw Stevie Wonder and the Stones in Detroit. What a fantastic show!

I'd love to see the Stones too, even with the superfluous backup musicians. But it seems like every time they tour, I just don't have the money. Wish I could have seen them in 81.

I'd like to see them just to see if Mick Taylor could bring it close to the fire he breathed in those early 70s tours. But they aren't going to be within 700 miles of me.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Wow! Tickets at only $85. The cheapest seats in Montreal are $173.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I have never seen the Stones. When this tour was announced I thought that I really should see them before they are gone…………then the ticket prices were announced. I am fortunate that my wife and I both have good jobs where we make good money where we can pay relatively high prices for shows. But………the Stones prices were just ridiculous and I won’t pay them. I probably will never see this band which is unfortunate.

Steve Sly

My son and I saw them at Staples Center in LA at the beginning of May. We sat in the "cheap" seats near the top, but didn't mind. GREAT SHOW!! I wish I could move as well at 54 as Mick does at 69! Musically they were very good as well. Glad we saw them!!!

They have been living on their past for too long ! Lost interest in the 80's! Wouldn't pay a dime to see a group of pensioners pretending to be teenagers !

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    They have been living on their past for too long ! Lost interest in the 80's! Wouldn't pay a dime to see a group of pensioners pretending to be teenagers !
    BUT... Mick's wig, Ron Wood's wig and Mick Taylor's wig look great!!
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Would you believe the one and only time I've seen The Stones was for free? They headlined a charity festival that came to be known as "SARStock" in Toronto about ten years ago with Rush, The Guess Who, AC/DC and about a dozen others. The Stones were good but we left partway through their set to beat the crowds (there were 450,000 people there!)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I saw them in the mid-80's and that's enough for me, I'm not coughing at these prices
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I went down to Philly Friday evening to see The Stones. A matter of fact, ten of us did. One of my friends rented one of the suites. It is a great way to see a concert there but get your wallet ready. The Stones were very good. Keith is definitely letting Ron Wood do more of the lead. Mick Taylor was very good. Good to see him back. I'm just not a huge Stones fan. No regrets. I saw Get The Led Out in Baltimore Saturday evening and they were phenomenal. I actually enjoyed them more!