Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Rolling Stones

Undercover and Dirty Work are their worst albums in my view. I do like the 'Undercover Of The Night' single itself though.

Yeah, Undercover is worth the price of admission itself. It has a furious groove.

I dug Undercover out again. The (almost) title track, 'Wanna Hold You' and maybe 'She Was Hot' are still the only tracks of note on here IMHO. In fact I'm sure those are the only songs from this album they've ever played live...and not often, at that.

Some of the other tracks- 'Pretty Beat Up', 'Feel On Baby'- are more like studio jams than songs. The less said about 'Too Much Blood' the better!

And I'm in a pub and .....I Cain't Git No.......comes on the house music. It's their big, signature hit. I was never a big fan of The Rolling Stones but I remember hearing it all over the radio in 1965 when I was 7 years old.

Listening to Undercover on YT. I've heard it a few times before. I'm up to Tie You Up....I like it. I like when the Stones do funk and R&B. I like Black & Blue too. Sue me....

Oh man, I love B and B. It gets so much stick and yes, parts are pretty cheesy, but Stones cheese tastes fine to me! That sounds a bit 'wrong'.......

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Oh man, I love B and B.
    I never noticed before how many BB titles the Stones have in their catalog: Black and Blue, Between the Buttons, Beggars Banquet, Bridges to Babylon, A Bigger Bang.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Richards wisecracked that it was essentially a vehicle for 'auditioning guitar players'. But other than the dud cover of 'Cherry Oh Baby', Black And Blue is a solid album. Better than its predecessor, which for me is very lacklustre in places. It sounds great sonically as well.

Mind you I listened to the Knebworth show from that period a while back...not their best. The set-list (I believe their longest ever) was full of lesser-played songs, but it was all a bit sloppy and sprawling. The 1978 Some Girls tour was much tighter and better for it.

I think Wayne Perkins would have been a better replacement for Mick Taylor than Ronnie Wood. I guess Wood's Englishness won out over Texas!

I think Keith wanted a friend on the other guitar and not just another lead player to overwhelm him with solos. Ronnie guaranteed the return of "guitar weaving" with the entwined leads that they had with Keith and Brian Jones.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Played Sticky Fingers while driving today. It's my no. 1 Stones album. Consistantly good from top to bottom. It's classic Stones. It rocks hard with gritty sax and drenched in Americana (Stones style). Amazing to think this British Invasion band is still together. 60 years of Stones.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

Mind you I listened to the Knebworth show from that period a while back...not their best. The set-list (I believe their longest ever) was full of lesser-played songs, but it was all a bit sloppy and sprawling.
    Mick was probably still pissed about the Skynyrd crew going out on the tongue during Free Bird, and he dragged the rest of the band down with him.

I'm listening to the bonus tracks from the remaster of Tattoo You. There's been a great rending of garments and gnashing of teeth over at Hoffman regarding the sound quality of the original disc. BFD, the original wasn't exactly their pinnacle in terms of audiophile quality. The 2009 remaster is about as good as it gets. But anyway, despite some vox that are recorded recently, the bonus tracks are worth it. Some I've heard before (Fiji Jim, Drift Away) on bootlegs but they benefit from a little professional polish. There's a hoot of a Jimmy Reed cover. All in all, probably the best collection of bonus tracks since Some Girls.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I have those mid 90s Virgin CDs for the post-ABKCO albums. Always thought they sounded really good, and have heard terrible things about the subsequent 'remasters'. I don't much like the sound of the Exile 'deluxe', that's for sure.

I don't appreciate the messing about they (particularly Jagger) do with archive material, so I haven't kept up with what's been released in recent years.

Tattoo You itself is a strong album, and deservedly a big hit for them. It was an 'odds and ends' album, of course, but it doesn't show. Of the albums they released after it, Steel Wheels is probably my favourite.
    Last edited by JJ88; 10-30-2021 at 04:42 PM.

El Mocambo 1977 coming out:

https://rollingstones.com/el-mocambo/

The tracks on Love You Live are easily the best thing about that album. Good to see 70s live material being released.

The older I get and the more shit I have to put up with in general in this world, the more I kind of vibe more with the stones. Ive run kind of hot and cold with them over the years but a while back I started liking them more and more and havent stopped. Got a blu ray video of their show in San Jose in 1999 recently on the "no security" tour
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

I've seen boots for the El-Mocambo sets before but never pulled the trigger, despite my agreement that the four tracks were the best thing on Love You Live. This is an auto-buy.

The older I get and the more shit I have to put up with in general in this world, the more I kind of vibe more with the stones. Ive run kind of hot and cold with them over the years but a while back I started liking them more and more and havent stopped. Got a blu ray video of their show in San Jose in 1999 recently on the "no security" tour
    Something got in Ronnie and Keef's tea around the mid-90s. It was pointed out on the Hoffman forum it was rumored this is when they started really taking their playing onstage SERIOUSLY (also with more sobriety) and it continued until Keith fell on his head. The "ancient art of guitar weaving" that Keith loves was really on fire and that San Jose show is a prime example. Neither one were the equal of Mick Taylor or the other British guitar gods, but when they buckled down, it raised a serious ruckus. This is a period where the live shows just hit the sweet spot.

Yeah I wanted to go the san jose show at the time but didnt, I did manage to see them in Oakland in 97 though, it was pretty awesome!

The first time I saw The Rolling Stones was probably on Ed Sullivan in the early 60s...or 65' actually. Whatever year it was...I was most likely between 7 and 8 years old.

The early 60s was so cornball and the Stones were dark for those times. The cover of England's #1 Hitmakers presents a clean-cut look about the band...to a degree. 12×5, Out Of Our Heads, Now, December's Children they start projecting a darker image that progressed by the time Aftermath and Between The Buttons were released.

My parents took notice of Brian Jones playing a different instrument each time they saw the Stones on television. They pointed out to me that he was multi talented and being musicians they probably found Brian Jones talent to be an interesting aspect of the British Invasion.

As a child in 65' blasting Rolling Stones records in the basement other musicians who came to the house would actually say..."Ya know...they really don't know how to play American music and next time I stop over I'm going to give you a Muddy Waters album...or Chuck Berry album and then you'll understand "

But it was British Blues Rock and I loved it FOR that reason alone. British bands captured the feeling of Blues and Rock n' Roll with ...of course....with a British interpretation and by the time it turned into Acid Rock or Psychedelic it progressed into what American kids in the 70s defined as Rock.

After Brian Jones tragic death...Mick Taylor joined the band and the only reason I knew of Mick Taylor was that my sister who turned hippie used to play John Mayall albums.

It was definitely a strange growing experience. Then years later I began to notice how the Stones image changed. Mick Jagger eventually started throwing buckets of water on the crowd, he was running across the stage, there were stage props..etc. I sat there thinking..."They look different " "This is not the Mick Jagger I remember " So it had to be because I was a child when I bought all their records and watched them on TV..and that I still thought of them as a dark looking British band during the British Invasion period.

And also a release of the full MSG 2003. Though much of this was already released on the old Four Flicks box, the only omissions being what are known on the IORR forum as 'warhorses'.

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/...d-live-in-nyc/

The highlights of this one for me are good versions of lesser-played tracks like 'Monkey Man', 'Thru And Thru' and (particularly) 'Can't You Hear Me Knockin'. I also remember the 'Midnight Rambler' on this being strong.

Some impressive stages photographed here

https://www.theguardian.com/music/ga...ns-in-pictures
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    Some impressive stages photographed here

https://www.theguardian.com/music/ga...ns-in-pictures
    Astounding stages. The fans that pay those sky-high ticket prices are certainly getting something spectacular.

It's mentioned in the article that Jagger had close involvement in some of the staging and I believe Watts did as well.

I was playing the 2nd disc of the Exile... re-release the other day. A lot of the tracks are 'out-fakes' with modern, unrelated Jagger vocals, but they are genuinely pretty good on their own terms. I suppose it's like a latter-day Tattoo You in that regard.

Oh yeah I saw the bridges to babylon show in Oakland, CA -- it was a sight to behold! Halfway through the show a literally bridge came out of the stage and the stones went to a smaller, in the round no frills stage and did some tunes from there too.
    I didnt cost that much at the time (got tix for like $10 or something) and I sat in the nosebleeds but still a cool show. Also pearl jam opened!

Exile on Main St, the accidental masterpiece, turns 50 this month.

In the 00s, I worked with several young men who were heavily into alt rock and little else. Of course, they were quite derisive of classic rock. And I made every damn one of them lose their minds with two CDs: The Kink Kronikles and Exile on Main St. I heard a couple times the refrain "this makes everything I knew wrong". Yes it does young man, yes it does.