Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rolling Stones

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    A pity Brussels is buried within the set. That deserves to be much more widely-heard.

'Criss Cross' has been bootlegged for a good few years, I don't recognise the other two 'new' tracks. (Be aware that the 'outtakes' from the 2010 Exile re-release were heavily re-recorded. And they weren't bad, just not really 1972 tracks.)

The album itself is a remix. I think they could have had a go at rejigging the running order as well. IMHO that's the biggest problem with the album. 'Dancing With Mr D' is a poor choice of first track; should have been 'Heartbreaker'.
    I agree on all of this. They also should clarify as to which Brussels show is offered here. There were two shows and some insist that the first one was the hottest.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

$150 for the 3CD/BR? No thanks! Most of the Stones won't live long enough to spend the money they're trying to bilk from this.

I found one edition that is a three disc without the bluray on Amazon for under $30. The kids over at Hoffman are stating that the Brussels show coming with this set has three or four songs from the first show and the rest from the second. It will all become more clear when we get closer to the release date. This is a long way from my favorite Stones album, the heroin was really dragging Keith down and the songs show it. So I'll only bite if I can get a professional version of Brussels with it and at a reasonable price. Otherwise my bootleg sounds damn fine. Mick Taylor was on fire that day.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The thing with Brussels Affair, the bootleg everyone loves (including me) had various songs from Wembley! I understand that what they released later is not the same.

I heard the promo they put up of 'Criss Cross'. I'm not sure I like the mix, again it has that cramped, narrow-stereo, modern sound. And anyway, I don't think it's as good as 'Silver Train', which it is similar to.

^^ It sure doesn't sound like the rest of the album, although I like the track. The Stones with M. Taylor just had a fuller, ballsier sound.

There's a few other outtakes from this period on bootleg. Here's the promo video.
    Last edited by JJ88; 07-09-2020 at 04:34 PM.

It turns out that 'Scarlet' is from 1974, so really has nothing to do with this particular album. Might be a good track anyway- see 'Plundered My Soul'.

I forget whether 'Through The Lonely Nights' was actually recorded in these sessions- I think it was. That's a good song. It was only a B side of the It's Only Rock N Roll single, despite being better than a fair bit of that album, and a couple of things on Goats Head Soup too.

This is NOT SAFE FOR WORK - don't say I didn't warn you. Director's cut of the new video for the previously unreleased "Criss Cross Man". Man, this should have opened Goats Head Soup, not the insipid "Dancing with Mr D".

https://vimeo.com/439995636

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    This is NOT SAFE FOR WORK - don't say I didn't warn you.
    Well, they know how to get my attention, anyway. As JJ88 said, it sounds a lot like "Silver Train,' and I hear some "Brown Sugar" rhythm guitar in there as well. That intro is pure 2020.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I think 'Criss Cross' is a good track and worthy of official release, but I can see why it never made the album at the time.

'Dancing With Mr D' was at least better live, as heard on the old Brussels Affair bootleg. It's a bit tighter and riffier than the studio version, which has that rambling ending.

'Scarlet' was released by them last week as well. I didn't think it was anything special and there are suggestions the vocals are a recent addition.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Someone spotted Jagger walking around in this non-Stones related video:

https://youtu.be/ybnQcnWssWg?t=354

Fast-forward to about 5:54 it it doesn't take you there directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Someone spotted Jagger walking around in this non-Stones related video:

https://youtu.be/ybnQcnWssWg?t=354

Fast-forward to about 5:54 it it doesn't take you there directly.
    I've seen that over at Hoffman. The guy in the grey t-shirt is thought to be a bodyguard.

What do we think of that Jagger/Dave Grohl thing?

Jagger phones in these 'topical' songs IMHO.

My favorite Stones song this weekend is.....Little T and A.
    Last edited by Vic2012; 04-19-2021 at 04:47 AM.

I've seen that over at Hoffman. The guy in the grey t-shirt is thought to be a bodyguard.
    Mick Jagger has breasts?

What do we think of that Jagger/Dave Grohl thing?

Jagger phones in these 'topical' songs IMHO.
    I thought that Grohl is supplying some good raunchy riffing here and Mick is having fun.

TBH I seldom take to Jagger's solo stuff. I do like a fair bit of Wandering Spirit though, because it feels he wasn't forcing the 'relevance'/'modernity' so much on that one. Some quite nice songs on it.

It's now nearly 16 years since The Rolling Stones released a full album of original material. But that recent 50 song 'leak' of archive Stones material made the press. I haven't really listened to it yet.

TBH I seldom take to Jagger's solo stuff. I do like a fair bit of Wandering Spirit though, because it feels he wasn't forcing the 'relevance'/'modernity' so much on that one. Some quite nice songs on it.
    I agree that it is his best album. And the only of his I still own and return to.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Looks like they are going to tour without Charlie Watts, who is sidelined with a medical issue. Anyone know if this is the first time they have gone out with a different drummer?

https://www.pollstar.com/article/dru...es-tour-148560

^^^^Pretty sure it is, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Looks like they are going to tour without Charlie Watts, who is sidelined with a medical issue. Anyone know if this is the first time they have gone out with a different drummer?

https://www.pollstar.com/article/dru...es-tour-148560
    Heard the news about Charlie Watts. I don't know if it's the first time in The Stones history that they've done a live show with a different drummer. In the meantime, the other band members have sent their encouragement to Charlie while he recovers.

https://bestclassicbands.com/charlie...ements-8-5-21/

Well, having Steve Jordan isn't a step down. Keith once said that the band was dead if something happened to him, Mick, or Charlie. I guess that being a.) the tour is only a month away from taking off and b.) Charlie will be back in the fold eventually, this doesn't qualify.

Keith once said that the band was dead if something happened to him, Mick, or Charlie.
    On the other hand, Charlie's wife Shirley once said something like "Charlie isn't really a Stone. Mick and Keith, they're the big bad Rolling Stones."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

Only credit given: allerlei2013riffmaster

'It's Only Rock N Roll' features Kenney Jones on drums instead of Watts. It was kind of a polished-up all-star jam rather than a Stones track per se. (Ron Wood is on it as it was done whilst he was doing his solo album.)

But yes, this is a (somewhat unfortunate) first for live shows, as stated. Steve Jordan has obviously worked with Richards for years though.