Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: King Crimson Deluxe Versions

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The stereo LTiA is excellent & I'm not usually a fan of these things.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

While CD shopping at The Downtown Music Gallery in New York City over the weekend, I bought all eight of the 40th anniversary King Crimson re-issues. So far, I have listened to ITCOTCK in its entirety and thought that it sounded great. I will post my thoughts on the others as I have time to listen to them.

Library Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    How do you people like the stereo remix of LTIA.
    Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    How do you people like the stereo remix of LTIA. The original mix was always (to me) a letdown to the fantastic music on the album. Thinking of hunting it down in Berlin this summer.
    I love it too! There are some guitars that have been brought up in the mix on Book of Saturday & Exiles that I love.
    " My advice is to get them off right after your shoes and before your trousers... that's the sock gap. Miss it and suddenly you're a naked man in socks. No self-respecting woman will let a naked man in socks do the squelchy with her. "

http://thefairlysecretarmy.bandcamp.com/

http://wavesofmercury.bandcamp.com/

the snare drum sounds wrong to me on LTiA remix .. it has a cardoard quality that are not present on the original mix . it's a little bit disturbing because the overall sound is great . .. it sounds not finished to me . i've have a really mixed feeling .. even if i enjoyed a lot the first listenning ( I remember my big smile right at the start of Lark's part1 guitar riff !!! what a bass sound !!) . it worth the listenning. it's improved but to me it could be better .

the same for island .. the overall sound is improved but they did some bad choice at the mix stage .. why did they let the horrible high pitch noise on the title track ?? it's beyond me.... it's even more disturbing than the original mix . i talk about the high pitched sound that appear at about 3min , after the trumpet with the harmonium and goes all along the track .
    Last edited by Gorillclub; 06-17-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorillclub View Post
    the same for island .. the overall sound is improved but they did some bad choice at the mix stage .. why did they let the horrible high pitch noise on the title track ?? it's beyond me.... it's even more disturbing than the original mix . i talk about the high pitched sound that appear at about 3min , after the trumpet with the harmonium and goes all along the track .
    Yopu have opened a subject about this a few months back, and if memory serves, only you heard this high-pitched noise
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    We had a thread on this about 2 months back. I thought we concluded that it was caused by the harmonium. I don't see how you can remove that sound without removing the harmonium, except for maybe filtering out that frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yopu have opened a subject about this a few months back, and if memory serves, only you heard this high-pitched noise

????? sorry but your memory is wrong ( take no offence please ) !! I've never talk about this in any forum ever !!!
    my real life friends heard the same thing too so it's not me !! the sound is present in the original mix and it's worst on the new .
    if you have ears you SHOULD hear it . maybe you pay not attention at it . but once you listen to it it's really obvious and disturbing .

????? sorry but your memory is wrong ( take no offence please ) !! I've never talk about this in any forum ever !!!
    my real life friends heard the same thing too so it's not me !! the sound is present in the original mix and it's worst on the new .
    if you have ears you SHOULD hear it . maybe you pay not attention at it . but once you listen to it it's really obvious and disturbing .
    OK, maybe it wasn't you (sorry!! , but SOMEBODY did (as another poster just after me pointed out)...

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...ght=loud+noise

And we did hear our respective albums and it was certainly totally inconclusive... or totally conclusive, but negatively
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    We had a thread on this about 2 months back. I thought we concluded that it was caused by the harmonium. I don't see how you can remove that sound without removing the harmonium, except for maybe filtering out that frequency.
    ok ! to me you can remove it because it's really high pitched and don't overlap on harmonium frequencies . I mean with a good noise remover you can cure the bad frequencies without destroying the good ones .

ok ! to me you can remove it because it's really high pitched and don't overlap on harmonium frequencies . I mean with a good noise remover you can cure the bad frequencies without destroying the good ones .
    Only if Fripp doesn't call wifie Toyah to rip your balls off if you do try to diddle with Wilson's remix.... Every Crimson albums has been remastered (and now even remixed) that you'd imagine that if Fripp did think it was part of the song's nature, he would've had it removed decades ago...

;-)) so I'm not mad ( and my friends too ) !!! someone else listen to it too !
    it's not necessary LOUD but it's definitely there . frankly it's obvious, i hear it on every system . I don't understand why most of people don't hear it !!
    not so obvious on the youtube though....

maybe it's an artistical choice . I respect that . but the sound is there !! and like most of people here don't hear it , maybe fripp don't too .. but it's there !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Exactly, I am wondering what high pitch noise? Surely not the vocal improv towards the start of Sailor's Tale?

;-)) so I'm not mad ( and my friends too ) !!! someone else listen to it too !
    it's not necessary LOUD but it's definitely there . frankly it's obvious, i hear it on every system . I don't understand why most of people don't hear it !!
    not so obvious on the youtube though....

maybe it's an artistical choice . I respect that . but the sound is there !! and like most of people here don't hear it , maybe fripp don't too .. but it's there !!!
    Give us an exact time in the track where you hear it. I'll give it a listen, but as of now I've no idea what you're talking about.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    John, it starts around the 3 minute mark, and seems to be an artifact of the harmonium; perhaps a sound made by the bellows. I never noticed it until it was pointed out, and it certainly doesn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Give us an exact time in the track where you hear it. I'll give it a listen, but as of now I've no idea what you're talking about.
    at 3min17 on the right channel. it's on the harmonium track . to me it's distracting like an unecessary noise . annoying if you play it LOUD ; but you can live with it !! ;-) . i've never notice it on the original record ! but it's there too . it seems they cut more high on the original so the high frequency were tamed.

at 3min17 on the right channel. it's on the harmonium track . to me it's distracting like an unecessary noise . annoying if you play it LOUD ; but you can live with it !! ;-) . i've never notice it on the original record ! but it's there too . it seems they cut more high on the original so the high frequency were tamed.
    Chances are much higher that it wasn't as noticeable on the original because the high end wasn't so exaggerated, not "cut."

Typically, as albums age and keep getting "remastered," treble is boosted.

The original Islands mix as featured on UK Island was astonishing. Really "demo level" engineering and production in many ways. Unfortunately, when the album was transferred to Polydor, a copy tape with crackling in the left channel during "Formentera Lady" became the norm for the album. This was not resolved until the "30th Anniversary" remaster, which seemed to finally track down the original master tape or a very good copy.

Wilson's digital remix suffers from clinical. sterile sound, IMO. The organic qualities of analog seem to have been buried in favor of "detail." To me, a brief "high pitched sound" is the least of the problems. I wouldn't want to listen to an entire 40 minutes like that. The original vinyl is far more balanced and if I want to hear the album on CD, the "30th" does nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Wilson's digital remix suffers from clinical. sterile sound, IMO. The organic qualities of analog seem to have been buried in favor of "detail." To me, a brief "high pitched sound" is the least of the problems. I wouldn't want to listen to an entire 40 minutes like that. The original vinyl is far more balanced and if I want to hear the album on CD, the "30th" does nicely.
    I agreed with you . at least if 5 min could be considered as brief .. ;-)

I agreed with you . at least if 5 min could be considered as brief .. ;-)
    Is it that long?

Ok.

Well, I still think how noticeable it is probably has much to do with what version one chooses. Certainly the original UK vinyl was darker and a high pitched tone would be less noticeable. I'll have to spin the 30th CD and see if I hear what it is that troubles you so much.

yep . from 3min16 to 9min04 . it sounds like a kind of "rattle" . it was clearly damped on the original mix .
    Last edited by Gorillclub; 06-17-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Yeah, that rattle is coming from the harmonium. IMO, it's no more distracting than when some frequencies make a snare drum sizzle when it isn't being hit (not on Islands but I've heard this happen on other recordings).
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    IMO, it's no more distracting than when some frequencies make a snare drum sizzle when it isn't being hit (not on Islands but I've heard this happen on other recordings).
    your are right ! it's exactly this kind of sound . I've never notice it on the original mix , but it jumps to my ear with the new mix. to me it's clearly not an improvement over the old mix IMO ( maybe I'm too picky ? )

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Ya like what ya like. I haven't "upgraded" from the 30th Anniversary editions, primarily because I don't have a 5.1 system. Jeff's theory on treble boosting seems a probable culprit. In the 30th Anniversary mix the noise is audible, but I had to concentrate to isolate it. That there are rough edges on Islands doesn't surprise me. There's a certain rough-edged charm to the whole thing, as far as I'm concerned.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

yep . from 3min16 to 9min04 . it sounds like a kind of "rattle" . it was clearly damped on the original mix .
    Not on my versions anyway...

Or maybe ike in the other threads, youy've got dog ears