Thread: Big Big Train - Bard

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar

Big Big Train - Bard

I've always thought Big Big Train's 2002-album "Bard" is a hidden gem within the catalogue of this quite excellent British band. I've been told by Greg Spawton it's not his favorite album, and a remaster is something I've often asked him for, but he's reluctant to go back to that period of BBT, having moved on quite a bit.

It's a crying shame this album isn't even included on their Bandcamp.
    Yet this album is filled with absolutely gorgeous, strong tracks. It saddens me that Youtube only gives the two opening tracks, which are each very different, and shows the only minor flaw of the album: it's all over the map. But what a map it is!

Wow. I'm on my own, so it seems. Seeing other threads about the current releases of BBT, I thought more people would be familiar with this album.

I have Bard and since BBT is one of the few bands that I at least like (and usually love) everything I've ever heard from this band, I like Bard quite a bit. You're not alone.

I'm still playing EE Part II several times a week, however, and the more I listen to it, the more I think it's their best work. NDVirg certainly didn't hurt their sound.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Bard was the first BBT album I heard, and I have a soft spot for it.
    You can see why Greg has an issue with it, for sure, and it's an uneven listen on several levels.
    That said, some of the melodies on this album are remarkable.

A bit of context: I bought a whole bunch of UK Prog albums looking for a studio that could produce a great sounding Prog record for "The Water Road". Having heard very little about BBT this was my first introduction to them. What I expected was a usual neo-genesis kind of band so (for my tastes) expectations were low for the album. What I heard was two things. a) a band that had written some great songs with lovely meledies & b) a studio (Aubitt) that could produce an album with 'atmosphere' and 'ambience' despite some of the raw material being less than optimally recorded.
    As a result, TK have recorded at Aubitt ever since, and I have an enormous respect for BBT as writers and producers.

Maybe this is BBT's equivalent of 'Yes' & 'Time and a word', albums which aren't that great in comparison to what was to come but showed some potential. That said, I'd listen to Bard in preference to either of these every day of the week.

Some of my favourite albums from back in the glory days actually aren't that great, and you have to place that critical part of your brain firmly into neutral in order to listen to them and hear those moments of beauty which make them special. I think Bard is an album like that ..... if you cut it some slack, it's worth it. In this era where everone is a music critic, and any release that isn't a 'masterpiece' and full of 'epics' is derided, you can empathise with why Greg has a problem re-releasing it as it is. That's a shame, because there's some truly great moments on Bard.
    Phil.

No Sunhillow, you are not alone, I also really like Bard and think that the band is making a mistake by not reissuing it.

My first BBT album and I quite like it.

Wow, thanks for posting this - It may turn out that I like BBT! - I always kinda blew past the BBT discussions - chalked it up as just another "underrated"(meaning, usually "sucky") prog band.

So, If I read this right. This music is no longer available for purchase? That makes perfect sense.

I love Bard too, and think the album improves as it goes. It is great late autumn twilight music, full of a very strong mood. 'For Winter' is my favorite on the album by a longshot. What a lovely piece of music. Track 2 I think is the only one that is uneven, but gets great late into the song.

What Bobert says... I've been trying to get it second hand for some time now. Simply can't get one.

My vote for Bard too. I'll take that over both English Electric's at the moment.

Big Big Train really must not like Bard. As hot as BBT is right now I am pretty sure that if they did reissue Bard , say a run of a thousand copies, people would gobble it up.

Spawton recently did mention on their FB page that they eventually will be re-releasing it but they are now working on the English Electric Full Power set and the triple Stations Masters archival / odds-and-ends collection and the live show they intend to do somewhere in the near future incl. recording it for dvd.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Spawton recently did mention on their FB page that they eventually will be re-releasing it but they are now working on the English Electric Full Power set and the triple Stations Masters archival / odds-and-ends collection and the live show they intend to do somewhere in the near future incl. recording it for dvd.
    Well, though this all sounds like real good news (EE full throthle, archival-stuff, Bard eventually remastered, live-show, dvd), hope this all wouldn't hinder or prevent them from releasing brand new material. Too many bands in recent history were planning and occupying themselves with a dvd-recording, finding themselves worn out by the event, having spend a year or more, and finding themselves with nothing more than a live-recording of stuff their fans already own.

But I'm not that fond of DVDs and I'm not that fond of live-recordings (hmm... a good new thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    Well, though this all sounds like real good news (EE full throthle, archival-stuff, Bard eventually remastered, live-show, dvd), hope this all wouldn't hinder or prevent them from releasing brand new material. Too many bands in recent history were planning and occupying themselves with a dvd-recording, finding themselves worn out by the event, having spend a year or more, and finding themselves with nothing more than a live-recording of stuff their fans already own.

But I'm not that fond of DVDs and I'm not that fond of live-recordings (hmm... a good new thread)
    BBT has a tendency to have very good long term planning. I remember reading about EE at least 2 / 3 years ago already. More then a year ago I remember reading blogposts from Dave Longdon about writing material for what is referred to as Big Big Thing i.e. a conceptual story album they are working towards as the new album. For Station Masters they have re-recorded older songs (incl. a few from Bard) with the current line-up.

A reissue seems simple enough, but I could see them not wanting to spend time re-recording or doctoring up old material especially if they're thinking its not their strongest work. At the rate they're going it seems like they would favor new material. At least I couldn't blame them if that were the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    A reissue seems simple enough, but I could see them not wanting to spend time re-recording or doctoring up old material especially if they're thinking its not their strongest work. At the rate they're going it seems like they would favor new material. At least I couldn't blame them if that were the case.
    If that would be true, which I think it isn't, but if it were true, why not just reprint "Bard" and be done with it. Maybe let Rob Audrey remaster it. But a shining gatefold new package around it. Like someone previous said, mainly will goggle it up. I'm not sure, but the recent reissues of "Steam" and "Boy" clearly didn't make them bankrupt. For me, it was the first encounter of those two lovely albums. Which would be the same for a lot of people considering "Bard".

Hell, by the time they get to it, they might as well reissue "Gathering Speed" and "The Difference Machine" too.