Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glass Hammer - The Inconsolable Secret 3-disc deluxe edition

Holy Mahler guys! Only he could have created a bigger sound than this remix (I'm thinking of Mahler's 8th symphony, the "symphony of thousands.") Thanks Steve for getting the CD to me in Olympia so quickly. It sounds magnificent on my home theater!

Finally got mine from Amazon. I noticed that the original version has an enhanced first disc, but the new version does not. This doesn't matter to me since I've already seen the enhanced content. More concerning is that the remix didn't include more cowbell. What were they thinking?!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    Finally got mine from Amazon. I noticed that the original version has an enhanced first disc, but the new version does not. This doesn't matter to me since I've already seen the enhanced content. More concerning is that the remix didn't include more cowbell. What were they thinking?!
    Does the remix include more mellotron?

JonDon4 - I see you're from Oly Wa! I spent my adult young life in Olympia (80-99). Played in a fairly popular band from there. You know of whom I speak?

Still totally loving this album. I Have not really noticed a problem with the original version, Its just a great piece of music!

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Does the remix include more mellotron?
    Actually yes, at least a bit. I know I added a prominent Tron choir to Knight Of The North in one part.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Still totally loving this album. I Have not really noticed a problem with the original version, Its just a great piece of music!
    Thank you sir! We had a good day, or month, or whatever, then, to paraphrase Bill Bruford.

JonDon4 - I see you're from Oly Wa! I spent my adult young life in Olympia (80-99). Played in a fairly popular band from there. You know of whom I speak?

Oly's produced a couple of popular bands. Sleater-Kinney would be my guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Jondon4 View Post
    Oly's produced a couple of popular bands. Sleater-Kinney would be my guess?
    No, But I had a recording Studio on Sleater Kinney Road.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Actually yes, at least a bit. I know I added a prominent Tron choir to Knight Of The North in one part.
    That was kind of a joke, but I go gaga for Mellotrons. So, I'm glad to hear it.

No, But I had a recording Studio on Sleater Kinney Road.
    Ok. Second guess The Cool Rays?

Either Jaugernaut or this:

I vote the goat.

Killer re-release of this epic album. Bass and Hammond never sounded more massive and aggressive. Top notch remix.
    Not to be missed!

trurl,

Any word on the download version for the remix CD?

Quote Originally Posted by jim1961 View Post
    trurl,

Any word on the download version for the remix CD?
    https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/glasshammer9

CDbaby has it now. Amazon should have it very soon. iTunes will follow but not for a bit.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Hammer View Post

CDbaby has it now. Amazon should have it very soon. iTunes will follow but not for a bit.
    Thanks!
    They wont allow the download of the remix only. I already own the 2005 CD's.

Can/will I be able to download just the remix CD at some point from somewhere?
    Last edited by jim1961; 07-19-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Hammer View Post

Thanks!
    Good to know, as I don't want a physical copy. I think I've bought a grand total of 7 cd's in 2013, since I'm having space issues and too many medical bills. I will treat myself to the download version, I deserve it!

I bought the digital download of the the original mix and was disappointed by the lack of sound quality. I bought the new 3-CD Remix and even the original mix sounds 100% improved although I know they (Glass Hammer) did nothing to alter those tracks. Could it be that a digital download, MP3, being compressed just doesn't have as much data as the physical disc to sound as expansive?

I bought the digital download of the the original mix and was disappointed by the lack of sound quality. I bought the new 3-CD Remix and even the original mix sounds 100% improved although I know they (Glass Hammer) did nothing to alter those tracks. Could it be that a digital download, MP3, being compressed just doesn't have as much data as the physical disc to sound as expansive?
    Unless the download is high bit-rate or lossless (like FLAC) then yes, absolutely.

I guess we weren't all that popular.. Or it might be a generational thing. circa '80-'85

Ding ding! - The guy from Germany (TheH) wins the prize - funny, we became better known in Europe than in Olympia.
    Last edited by Yodelgoat; 07-26-2013 at 11:58 PM.

I guess we weren't all that popular.. Or it might be a generational thing. circa '80-'85
    I moved to Oly in 2000 so I'm fairly ignorant of its musical past.

Quote Originally Posted by jim1961 View Post
    They wont allow the download of the remix only. I already own the 2005 CD's.

Can/will I be able to download just the remix CD at some point from somewhere?
    BUMP

^^^^^^^
    You would think... let me try and get with The Powers That Be on that.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    ^^^^^^^
    You would think... let me try and get with The Powers That Be on that.
    Very much appreciate you looking into it

Have listened thoroughly to the new remix disc and I think it sounds superb. Some interesting remixing choices, not all of them to my liking, however, the low bass is far, far better - and I love low bass. Particularly on Maker of Crowns, sounds terrific. Although I do really like JD, I am probably in the minority in thinking that Walter Moore was the beast singer GH has had, so those songs that now feature the former just don't sound right to me. Of course the original album is just that. Overall an excellent job .... did I mention the low bass?