Thread: Plini - Australian jazzfusion (& guitar equlibrism)

Plini - Australian jazzfusion (& guitar equlibrism)

Pretty nice sounding stuff. When they get a full length cd give me a call.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Pretty nice sounding stuff. When they get a full length cd give me a call.
    Well, "they" is just a "he;" 20 year old guitar player with a home recording studio, keyboards and drum machine. But I liked it a lot too and would be interested in getting a full length CD as well. Quite a talented young man!

He had a little help:
    Jake Howsam Lowe — second guitar solo on "Heart", recorded at his home in Sydney; guest composition on "Selenium Forest"

Luke Martin — piano (performance/composition) on "Other Things", recorded at Versed Audio, UK.

Rick Graham — second guitar solo on "Selenium Forest", recorded at Loveridge Studios, UK.

Plini — everything else.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I like it.Count me in when he releases a full length cd.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Hello Gang!.
    Soooo late here with this great young talented guitarist!

Thanks to this video of Rick Beato I rediscovered him because and although in the past I had heard him, it's until today that I really appreciate and value his music/art: there're so many things going on at the same time, so many things that happens … !.

More:
    https://plini.bandcamp.com/album/handmade-cities

Regards,
    Tomás.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

A couple of years ago, I had the pleasure of seeing Plini with Marco Minnemann, Jake Howsam and bass phenom, Mohini Day, play a 'one off' gig at Alva's (a great venue in San Pedro).

Here's an example of the kind of brilliance we experienced that night.

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

^^
    Thanks for sharing !

Pura vida.!

lottsa notes!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    lottsa notes!
    Exactly!.
    Those were my thoughts the first time I listened to him and didn't dig deeper with his music, in fact, it's been a long time that I stopped following that segment of super guitarists "100 notes in 1 minute", these days, I prefer, 10 but full of feeling and well executed for example what leads me to think Gang:

- Am I getting old ?!?. (bad joke, I know!)

It isn't the "rule" here in Casa Casanova but I prefer it that way nowadays; however and after seeing the video of Mr. Beato, I got more and better with his proposal and hooked with his' "Handmade Cities" ... a good album IMO.

Regards,
    Tomás.
    Last edited by TCC; 07-20-2019 at 12:38 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Exactly!.
    Those were my thoughts the first time I listened to him and didn't dig deeper with his music, in fact, it's been a long time that I stopped following that segment of super guitarists "100 notes in 1 minute", these days, I prefer, 10 but full of feeling and well executed for example what leads me to think Gang:

[/B][/I]... a good album IMO.

Regards,
    Tomás.
    Same.

When I need a million notes, I go back to the source, John McLaughlin and Alla Holdsworth.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Exactly!.

It isn't the "rule" here in Casa Casanova but I prefer it that way nowadays; however and after seeing the video of Mr. Beato, I got more and better with his proposal and hooked with his' "Handmade Cities" ... a good album IMO.

Regards,
    Tomás.
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Same.

When I need a million notes, I go back to the source, John McLaughlin and Alla Holdsworth.

I have never seen a conflict between some players who can play a 'million notes', and the ability to play with 'feeling'. Holdsworth and McLaughlin are both players that have no problems playing fast AND playing with feeling.

And, I've never had a problem with listening to players that are 'feeling' players, and, at other times, listening to 'million notes' players. Both type of musician 'scratches a different itch' so to speak.

Also, for some bands, the 'feeling' might be coming from the entire piece of music, even if individual players might be playing a million notes. For example, members of top orchestras (all technically great musicians) do not individually play with feeling, but there is no question that when they play The Rite of Spring, the entire piece has loads of feeling.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    I have never seen a conflict between some players who can play a 'million notes', and the ability to play with 'feeling'. Holdsworth and McLaughlin are both players that have no problems playing fast AND playing with feeling.

And, I've never had a problem with listening to players that are 'feeling' players, and, at other times, listening to 'million notes' players. Both type of musician 'scratches a different itch' so to speak.

Also, for some bands, the 'feeling' might be coming from the entire piece of music, even if individual players might be playing a million notes. For example, members of top orchestras (all technically great musicians) do not individually play with feeling, but there is no question that when they play The Rite of Spring, the entire piece has loads of feeling.
    I understand and share somehow what you're saying Simon, but, as I wrote, nowadays I like less than more but it isn´t the rule in my case: I'm always "open" to new or any type of interpretation and/or musical craft.

Good points.
    Last edited by TCC; 07-22-2019 at 11:58 AM.

New Plini album out, the second (sorta) full length!

My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

I really like this guy. Yeah there's lots of notes which is often overbearing and soulless (Petrucci ), but I find his playing very tasteful. 'Handmade Cities' was my intro which I loved and just started listening to this new one. Good stuff!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I really like this guy. Yeah there's lots of notes which is often overbearing and soulless (Petrucci ), but I find his playing very tasteful. 'Handmade Cities' was my intro which I loved and just started listening to this new one. Good stuff!
    Yes very tasteful and a fair dose of Robben Ford:ish fusion, though he flirts with modern prog! The "space" in his songs is really big and lush, almost ambient sometimes. The drawback is the drummer who overplays it - where is Gavin when you need him...
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

I've recently re discovered Plini whose album Handmade Cities I got some years ago. I recently bought the new one called Mirage - now hooked and getting all his albums. Incredible fusion of jazz/rock/metal but so melodic too

https://plini.bandcamp.com/album/mirage

I have been digging him lately. That clip from San Pedro with Mohini et al was super-fun!
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I have been digging him lately. That clip from San Pedro with Mohini et al was super-fun!
    I saw Mohini, Marco and Plini at Bass Bash in 2018, which occurs at night during NAMM. Mohini and Marco played together as well.
    I wish I was at NAMM right now!
    No idea why the one photo is turned sideways here.

Mohini Dey, Federico Malaman at Bass Bash 2018.jpgMohini, Marco, Plini at Bass Bash.jpg
    Last edited by rapidfirerob; 01-25-2024 at 06:17 PM.