Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Univers Zero

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I can't find that anywhere? I see Solo Piano but not Solo Music. I'm guessing its oop?
    https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?ma...d=900929&ev=mb

Is it this?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I actually like the children all dressed up and I don't want to discourage them (or their parents) from coming.

Heresie is too blatantly creepy; what parent would entrust their child to a home with that soundtrack playing?

Solo Music has the atmosphere without being quite so overt - it's eerie, not creepy...
    Let's be real here...in terms of my house and Halloween trick or treaters:

Single dude in 40's
    Black band t-shirt
    Living alone
    Offering candy
    Parents run the hell in the opposite direction
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I can't find that anywhere? I see Solo Piano but not Solo Music. I'm guessing its oop?
    It's a CD that combines two early albums:
    SOLO MUSIC
    MUSIC IN FIFTHS / MUSIC IN PARALLEL MOTION

ALL GREAT

Out of print, but not too pricey used:

https://www.discogs.com/Philip-Glass...elease/1527103
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yes, and I own this original, but I was actually thinking of the CD repackage that goes for 'popular prices'...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Heresie is too blatantly creepy; what parent would entrust their child to a home with that soundtrack playing?
    For the young 'uns, it's definitely a bit too scary sounding, you do want them to have fun, not nightmares. But it would certainly make for a terrifically sinister vibe for the slightly older kids.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    For the young 'uns, it's definitely a bit too scary sounding, you do want them to have fun, not nightmares. But it would certainly make for a terrifically sinister vibe for the slightly older kids.
    I dunno. For real thrills, I have John Battema answer the door in his boxer shorts and black band t-shirt.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I dunno. For real thrills, I have John Battema answer the door in his boxer shorts and black band t-shirt.....
    "WANT SOME CANDY AND TO KNOW HOW PHIL COLLINS DESTROYED GENESIS, LITTLE GIRL???"

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    "WANT SOME CANDY AND TO KNOW HOW PHIL COLLINS DESTROYED GENESIS, LITTLE GIRL???"
    There are parts of "Mama" you could play on loop that would make pretty good Hallowe'en music, now that you mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    There are parts of "Mama" you could play on loop that would make pretty good Hallowe'en music, now that you mention it.
    Definitely.

Phillip Glass "Solo Music" in chez Feigenbaum. The sound of cobwebs growing.
    constantly fascinated by early Glass
    has this been re issued ?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    It was reissued in 1994 as part of a set of two CDs on Nonsuch that reissued all of his pre North Star recordings.

Long oop. Maybe now on Phil’s own label. Dunno.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Now that I am not on my ipad, I can give a much better answer:

It's this and. this:

https://www.discogs.com/Philip-Glass...elease/1280267

https://www.discogs.com/Philip-Glass...n/master/33316

Both are GREAT.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Back to the subject at hand, I've been enjoying 'Implosion' recently.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Univers Zero are one of the very few bands where I like everything they've done, everything is at least 'good', most is 'very good' to 'great'
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Univers Zero are one of the very few bands where I like everything they've done, everything is at least 'good', most is 'very good' to 'great'
    I basically agree; the great stuff sets the bar so high that it's easy to ignore the 'very good'. Implosion is at least good to very good, but it doesn't get played so much because, well, it isn't one of the great ones. But for some reason I pulled it out and I found it fit my mood and that instead of getting frustrated by the little 'computer / sampler pieces' as I recall feeling about them, I found I really, really enjoyed them as much as the band pieces and the back and forth worked really well today.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 10-26-2020 at 09:00 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

p.s. More people should write songs with titles like "oozing'...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I basically agree. I pulled out Daniel D.'s two solo reks from the 90s just recently, and even the somewhat uncelebrated Sirius & the Ghosts comes across as an astoundingly facceted and colourfully intricate journey of (primarily) keys-based compositional rock/whatever. I'm trying to visualize a reception of an intriguing work like this if it had been produced by a Tony Banks or Rick Wright or etc. I suppose it's merely yet another reminder that the "prog scene" of today is only rarely about the music itself.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yes to Implosion - probably my fav out of the last three they released (although if I did an A/B/C comparison again now I may view things differently - who knows?). The album that I return to the most of the 'newer' generation of this band is the Live album. The tunes from Implosion are great on that, and the Live album also had me reaching back to The Hard Quest again. I prefer the live ambience of those tunes better than the studio versions, however the compositions themselves are great - especially "Xenantaya" and "Civic Circus". The overall engineering of the Live album is just killer imo. When I crank that thing through my B&Ws (and my little 8" B&W powered sub), that recording just slays.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

^ ^ ^ ^

The two most immediate ones for me from 'phase 2' of UZ-ville, were "Live" and "Clivage", as both were 'band recordings', not 'studio projects by DD and assorted hired hands'.

So, I decided to play to something less immediate and I do not regret doing so!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I prefer the live ambience of those tunes better than the studio versions, however the compositions themselves are great - especially "Xenantaya" and "Civic Circus". The overall engineering of the Live album is just killer imo.
    I basically agree.

And listen to Kermesse Atomique off the live album!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Shit - I can't forget about Relaps either - that thing is a monster. I remember listening one night and asking myself "Is this the BEST UZ album ever, period?". It's certainly up there for me. Nothing will ever top Heresie for me personally, but this one ain't far behind. You can't beat well-recorded live albums when a band is on fire.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Yes to Implosion - probably my fav out of the last three they released (although if I did an A/B/C comparison again now I may view things differently - who knows?). The album that I return to the most of the 'newer' generation of this band is the Live album. The tunes from Implosion are great on that, and the Live album also had me reaching back to The Hard Quest again. I prefer the live ambience of those tunes better than the studio versions, however the compositions themselves are great - especially "Xenantaya" and "Civic Circus". The overall engineering of the Live album is just killer imo. When I crank that thing through my B&Ws (and my little 8" B&W powered sub), that recording just slays.
    Incredible sound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 years ago. Live at Zappanale 2015

^^^^^^

Last-ever gig, IIRC.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com