Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Univers Zero

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Yeah, the Polish band. They made two albums:
    "Gargantua" (Ars Mundi, 2003);
    "Kotegarda" (Roadkill Music, 2007)

I only have the second and it is excellent. Dunno if it is still available somewhere. It is not on BC unfortunately.
    Still listed on Greg's site at http://synphonicmusic.com/country/poland.html:
    GARGANTUA - Mix of Gentle Giant and King Crimson.
    SAME $16
    KOTEGARDA $16 http://www.myspace.com/kotegarda
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Yeah, the Polish band. They made two albums:
    "Gargantua" (Ars Mundi, 2003);
    "Kotegarda" (Roadkill Music, 2007)

I only have the second and it is excellent. Dunno if it is still available somewhere. It is not on BC unfortunately.
    Ordered.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Well, reading the last couple pages of this thread makes me glad I made the trek to Washington DC back in 2010 to see and Miriodor and UZ play at La Maison Francais. I'd already seen both groups once, but circumstances made it possible for me to go to that concert, and I'm glad I did. I don't know what's up with Miriodor, but if UZ is a done deal, I should be thankful I got to see them play twice (especially considering how rarely they played Stateside).

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    ....if UZ is a done deal, I should be thankful I got to see them play twice (especially considering how rarely they played Stateside).
    They played in the USA exactly two times. Glad you got to see it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    They played in the USA exactly two times. Glad you got to see it.
    I don't think I was aware there had only been two such performances. That really makes me glad I got to see them on both occasions.

I don't think I was aware there had only been two such performances. That really makes me glad I got to see them on both occasions.
    Plus Canada twice and Mexico once for a 3 day (?) engagement, I *think*.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

That must be why I was thinking there had been more than 2 US shows, because I was actually thinking of their general North American profile. Still, those of us who didn't have to travel to Europe to see UZ are in a very select group, I would say.

Still, those of us who didn't have to travel to Europe to see UZ are in a very select group, I would say.
    Not THAT select - they played NEARfest in 2004, so that's (potentially) about 1,000 people who saw them on that occasion.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Upcoming prog (& beyond) shows in France - http://www.bigbangmag.com/agenda.php

Made the trip both times to specifically see them. But I'm a bit of a fanboy..........

They killed it at the DC show!

Yeah the DC show was the first time I saw them, they were excellent, saw them a couple more times at the RIO Festival.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I saw Present, but I don't think I saw UZ.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Seen Present three times, terrific live.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Seen Present three times, terrific live.
    I only got to see Present once, at NEARfest. It would have been the second time I saw them, but my first attempt to see them (on what was originally scheduled to be the last night of their 1998 US tour) got preempted by that show's cancellation. I try not to bring that up, because it seems like when I do, everyone seems compelled to defend the cancellation, like they think I still hold a grudge about it. I absolutely get it, no need for further explanations. I got over it 20 years ago (dammit! Was it really 20 years ago?!).

Side note: one of my favorite NEARfest memories hinges on Roger Trigaux asking me "Where is pissing room?"

wasn't the Mexico show greatly attended (rumours has it around 2500), which DD seemed to think was way over-rated??

That must be why I was thinking there had been more than 2 US shows, because I was actually thinking of their general North American profile. Still, those of us who didn't have to travel to Europe to see UZ are in a very select group, I would say.
    Despite being "alive" for triple the years in their (late-90's to middle-10's) second life (compared to their first 70/80's life), they didn't play many more gigs (ok, they became a live band in 05).
    Even their Belgian gigs were rare and often very poorly advertised (this is a UZ trademark, I think)

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I saw Present, but I don't think I saw UZ.
    Didn't really count, but I think I saw both bands around 10 times, plus once both together (Aranis was there too) and separately one same evening: for some reasons, Seghers managed to find Present a gig the same evening of the first UZ performance back on stage... less than two kilometres between the two halls, and we (the crowd) kind of forced/coerced Present to wait until UZ's gig was over and the fans to make the transfer
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

My favorite gig of theirs was the Once Upon A Time In Belgium gig at RIO in '11 where UZ, Present and Aranis made up a 17 piece band and played a combination of the three bands material and a couple of new pieces. I had to sit three quarters of the way back in the auditorium to take it all in. Kerman & Denis playing next to each other as complementary drummer/percussionist. Absolutely stunning.
    Ian

I guess I count myself fortunate to have seen both their US dates as well then. They were great at NF, but they were otherworldly at the French Embassy in DC (Sonic Circuits).

Saw Present just the once, at NF. Thought they were fantastic. Would have enjoyed seeing them at least once more, but am grateful we got the amazing Barbaro package to document the live experience
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

That Barbaro DVD is probably my most played DVD, it's superb.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    wasn't the Mexico show greatly attended (rumours has it around 2500), which DD seemed to think was way over-rated??
    Wouldn't know. Wasn't a part of the drama anymore by that point.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

The DC show was incredible.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Daniel told me 2 weeks ago that the reissue of Ceux was due *in the first quarter of 2018*. No CD version planned as yet, and no liner notes. :-( (although I had lots of material to offer...)
    Seems like this is finally out:

https://www.subrosa.net/en/catalogue...du-dehors.html

Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    GARGANTUA - Mix of Gentle Giant and King Crimson.
    SAME $16
    KOTEGARDA $16
    Both are very good, but they're not "mix of Gentle Giant and King Crimson". Gargantua, along with Indukti and Tatvamasi, are (or were?) one of extremely few modern Polish bands attempting something of their own - as opposed to five dozen Porcupain of Salvation-copycat acts.

But then again I suppose that once there's little trace of the usual suspects, a reference to "Gentle Giant and King Crimson" leads the way into the dark abstract for the punters.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    It is out and it is (partially) remixed, which Sub Rosa's catalog doesn't mention (!!).
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

does it come with a download code ?

It is out and it is (partially) remixed, which Sub Rosa's catalog doesn't mention (!!).

Present also seem to be still going, I thought they where done...

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Present also seem to be still going, I thought they where done...
    Where did you hear that?
    Ian