Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Asia S/T = Groundbreaking !

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Btw, it was Wayne's World that brought Queen back from the dead.
    Maybe over there in America. But there is a rest of the world, you know... :-)

Queen were always massive in Britain (and pretty big across Europe generally).

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I was extremely disappointed with that cheese platter when I spun it for the first time.

I only listened to it once since its release.
    My sentiments exactly. All that talent and they just wasted it on creampuff nonsense.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Sentiments which perfectly explain your position on what supposedly constitutes anything "groundbreaking". Asia weren't "MTV prog" - they were MTV period.
    Maybe so. I guess you can't overlook the fact that Geoff Downes was the same keyboard player on Video Killed The Radio Star and Heat Of The Moment. I see Asia's debut as Symphonic Pop. No other band was using the multitude of keyboards Geoff did. I think they touch upon prog on Wildest Dreams quite well. And at the very conclusion to Here Comes The Feeling....those really fast chops sound like perhaps,the 2nd album could be more like. Only to actually hear Alpha was more commercial than Asia/Asia. It just goes to show when you expect you set yourself up for disappointment. It's much better to take every album on with an open mind and critique only on it's merits and nothing else. There's a continuity bridge covering 3 albums that John Wetton sang and played bass on between 1979 and 1982; and they would be: UK-Danger Money,John Wetton-Caught In The Crossfire,Asia. For me,his solo album is the bridge that separates prog from pop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=J51yPBxvD5Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ss94awP2mno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=NfFjb3B9RRw

Rand - how many times are you gonna post that "Nothing to Lose" video?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Rand - how many times are you gonna post that "Nothing to Lose" video?

I edited them Scott. I don't understand why it happens when all I want to do is post 3 videos. I always have to delete the previous videos to do that. If you know of a bypass to that process lay it on me dude,please.

I don't, unfortunately.

I just thought it was funny.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I don't, unfortunately.

I just thought it was funny.
    and completely unintentional.

I used to have a take-it-or-leave-it attitude towards "Nothing to Lose" and "Rendezvous 6:02", but, over the years, they've grown on me.

When I heard a new band coming out with members of Yes, Crimson, ELP, I never would have thought it would sound so commercial in my wildest dreams. Wildest dreams.

I actually rather like Nothing To Lose. Always have. Played it on my show a couple weeks, in fact.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Maybe so. I guess you can't overlook the fact that Geoff Downes was the same keyboard player on Video Killed The Radio Star and Heat Of The Moment. I see Asia's debut as Symphonic Pop. No other band was using the multitude of keyboards Geoff did. I think they touch upon prog on Wildest Dreams quite well. And at the very conclusion to Here Comes The Feeling....those really fast chops sound like perhaps,the 2nd album could be more like. Only to actually hear Alpha was more commercial than Asia/Asia. It just goes to show when you expect you set yourself up for disappointment. It's much better to take every album on with an open mind and critique only on it's merits and nothing else. There's a continuity bridge covering 3 albums that John Wetton sang and played bass on between 1979 and 1982; and they would be: UK-Danger Money,John Wetton-Caught In The Crossfire,Asia. For me,his solo album is the bridge that separates prog from pop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=J51yPBxvD5Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ss94awP2mno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=NfFjb3B9RRw
    You also have to remember that Geoff was in Yes before Asia was formed, and Rick Wakeman also had many keyboards. Also, didn't the keyboardist in Grobschnitt have something called a "keyboard castle"?

Vangelis

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    That was a great version, but I do miss the synth solo and the organ burst. Was that track recorded at the same time as Rock Puzzle?

That was a great version, but I do miss the synth solo and the organ burst. Was that track recorded at the same time as Rock Puzzle?
    I'm not sure, but I just learned yesterday that Here Comes the Feeling was recorded a few years before Asia, and found this video. I like this version better. Less bombastic.

> Asia S/T = Groundbreaking !

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Innerviews View Post
    > Asia S/T = Groundbreaking !

No.

Yes !

The only prog/AOR album to spawn 5 top 20 hits . Thats groundbreaking in itself !

Asia was groundbreaking like Japanese "Apple Vinegar Kit-Kat" was groundbreaking.

awesome-japanese-kit-kat-bar-flavors2.jpg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Innerviews View Post
    Asia was groundbreaking like Japanese "Apple Vinegar Kit-Kat" was groundbreaking.

awesome-japanese-kit-kat-bar-flavors2.jpg
    Give it up. You'll never win.

You also have to remember that Geoff was in Yes before Asia was formed, and Rick Wakeman also had many keyboards. Also, didn't the keyboardist in Grobschnitt have something called a "keyboard castle"?
    I was only referring to multi-keyboards in the case of Asia in 1982 and the huge commercial success they were having from the debut album. MTV played Heat Of the Moment,Only Time Will Tell and I think maybe Sole Survivor but not sure. If you watch Geoff play Cutting It Fine on the live vhs tape during his solo section that guy is busy running back and forth triggering all those keyboards at just the right time,and I think also that was pre-midi.

This version of Eye To Eye is way far removed from the song we hear on Alpha. Jury's still out deliberating on this one. It takes some getting used to for sure. I had no knowledge of this band and John Wetton in it,wow! what a revelation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=UPN64Sq7zS4

This one has nothing to do with Asia,but I think it's the best of the 3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tm2mCqXIlZg

Rick Van der Linden (Trace / Ekseption) also used a lot of keyboards on stage..

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Yes !

The only prog/AOR album to spawn 5 top 20 hits . Thats groundbreaking in itself !
    No, it's not.

Give it up, Rufus.

IMO, a great, very successful album that isn't remotely "groundbreaking."

Who did they influence? What trend did they start? What "ground" did they "break?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Yes !

And where are you getting "5 top 20 hits?"

Billboard only lists two - "Heat of the Moment" and "Only Time Will Tell."

Use the "Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks" - which is not what most consider when saying "top 20" - and you can argue three, adding "Sole Survivor."

You're really reaching, dude.