Thread: Bowie - progressive, or what?

THIS IS DEFINITELY PROG!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyQxTWDLZ8o

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    ????
    Fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Yes and Genesis have more variation that Bowie? Surely, you must be joking? I love Genesis, but let's be real here. They don't call the man born David Robert Jones a musical chameleon for nothing.
    Indeed, chameleons are known for changing superficial, surface things about themselves.

Don't get me wrong. Compared to most pop artists, he has a lot of variation.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    To a non Prog fanboy, Yes and Genesis' prime 70s output all sounds the same... interminably boring and self indulgent.

Now, to a Prog fanboy, there is a BIG difference between those bands' Prog albums of the 70s and their schlock... err, Pop albums of the 80s and 90s.
    To people who know what they're listening to, there is a solid difference between Firth of Fifth and say, many Lamb tracks. It has nothing to do with liking or disliking it.

The difference between classic Genesis and Collins era is another story altogether. Someone who can't tell the difference there is just incredibly unmusical.

This guy has so much music wouldn't it make more sense to just ask which DB albums are not prog,not good,not worth paying money for? I would bet the list is pretty short.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    This guy has so much music wouldn't it make more sense to just ask which DB albums are not prog,not good,not worth paying money for? I would bet the list is pretty short.
    Never Let Me Down?

Never Let Me Down?
    I said short list,but this is ridiculous. lol

What's the consensus on The Next Day and does anyone know what he's trying to convey by using the same cover as Heroes?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I said short list,but this is ridiculous. lol
    Well, that's the only crappy Bowie album that I could think of. Would his 1967 album on Deram count as well?

Quote Originally Posted by KingCrimson776 View Post
    Indeed, chameleons are known for changing superficial, surface things about themselves.

Don't get me wrong. Compared to most pop artists, he has a lot of variation.
    ok... so you hate Bowie
    why are you in this thread exactly???

it wouldn't be to assert your superior view of what is Prog and what is not Prog would it?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Fixed it.
    ???

Still, even with the different members between the Genesis releases, you know that those are in fact both Genesis albums. Just busting your balls, Trane. I have never heard The Man Who Sold The World album, but I do have the stretch of studio albums from Hunky Dory to Heroes, and I can tell that Heroes sounds completely different from The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars. Nothing could've prepared me for Young Americans, Station To Station, or Low. Those didn't sound like the Bowie of the "Ziggy" and "Aladdin" periods. With Young Americans, I thought I was listening to a Stevie Wonder album.
    How dare ya?? If you were a busty blonde twat, I'd probably accept it...

The full Man Who Sold is available as a YT link in this thread. I gave it a re-listen (btw, I much prefer the "dress" artwork for that albim)

. They don't call the man born David Robert Jones a musical chameleon for nothing.
    I think that name first came for his look and characters changes, more so than for his 70's music... Of course, jis 80's discography changed that

Who cares what it is! Some good pop early on. Some crap later. Personally I think his poor albums far outnumber his good albums.
    Ultimately that's about it... genre pigeonholing's all subjective

and yes for the career quality assessment, though I'd qualify more or pop-prck than just pure "pop"
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

It just reaches stupid levels when a prog fan hears a few chords he likes on an artist's music & then decides to appropriate that artist as prog....absolute bloody nonsense.

I've liked Bowie, but really don't know anything beyond Tin Machine. Mainly, the 1976-1980 period contain the best of his stuff. The hype behind him, though, is really ridiculous There's a lot of great music I enjoy a whole lot more.

He did have a very wobbly 80s (after 'Scary Monsters' started the decade so well), but even then, there are some real gems- 'Loving The Alien', 'Absolute Beginners' etc. I don't care for the first Tin Machine record which is mostly just a lot of noise, devoid of the intelligence he brought to all of his other work IMHO. The second one is a mixed bag but does at least have some more considered material on it.

After that his work was mostly back on track, but I've never enjoyed 'Hours' that much- a few nice songs on it ('Thursday's Child' in particular) but something about that album has never gelled with me. Maybe it's the production which I think is too slick, I like Bowie with a bit more edge. But maybe that in itself is because the songs aren't that substantial IMHO. All the other 90s-onwards albums I enjoy to some extent.
    Last edited by JJ88; 05-28-2013 at 08:15 AM.

bowies new album is good and a fun listen..... couple duds but .......overall solid release........He still can sing and write some interesting tunes....being 66 years old he's taking a risk putting out out new material with the chance people thinking that it sucks or that he should give it up /that he's lost his voice ........... he still has it .........

Quote Originally Posted by ZEPPELIN4EVER View Post
    being 66 years old he's taking a risk putting out out new material with the chance people thinking that it sucks or that he should give it up /that he's lost his voice
    Not really a Bowie fan at all, but I agree here. I admire him for the effort.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Best thing Tin Machine did was the cover of Lennon's Working Class Hero. But I do like Gabrels's guitar/production on Afters...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

No love for Tin Machine? Granted, it was kind of straight-ahead rock'n'roll, but the lyrics were some of the most intelligent Bowie ever wrote.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I'm afraid I feel songs like 'Crack City' are some of the *least* intelligent he did. There's a couple of OK things on there like 'I Can't Read' and the title track. I suppose it was important in terms of ditching the awful 80s production tropes that doomed 'Never Let Me Down'. But the album's production is too drums-first for me, so not much of an improvement.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    No love for Tin Machine? Granted, it was kind of straight-ahead rock'n'roll, but the lyrics were some of the most intelligent Bowie ever wrote.
    Like em a lot. Hugely progressive, strange time signatures, long tracks, fantasy lyrics and mellotron. Does it matter that it's prog or not prog, it's damm good music and refreshing for that era.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 05-28-2013 at 05:12 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

This is an entertaining thread.

one of the greatest artists of our time. wether its rocknroll, pop, dance, prog, bowie does it all with a golden touch.
    In fact he has am hits that are some of the best music he's done artisticly. 40+ years on and around the top of the commercial and artistic scene. just for that alone, he deserves respect.

It just reaches stupid levels when a prog fan hears a few chords he likes on an artist's music & then decides to appropriate that artist as prog....absolute bloody nonsense.
    heh... a bit like the other end of the spectrum, where a band like Yes or Genesis who haven't recorded a completely Prog album in over 30 years are still considered to be Prog
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

You just don't understand...

One of the stipulations my Mom has for letting me live in her basement is that the only type of music that I'm allowed to like is "Prog." Therefore, by virtue of this imperative, it follows that all of the music I like is "Prog," regardless of the music's characteristics.